Author Topic: *COMPLETED* Flitwick PRs - Marriage ODELL and POTTER  (Read 4398 times)

Offline Harold1066

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
*COMPLETED* Flitwick PRs - Marriage ODELL and POTTER
« on: Tuesday 21 September 10 21:18 BST (UK) »
I am working on my wife's extended Bedfordshire family and need some help with identifying the groom of a marriage.

The details I have so far, gleaned from the IGI batches for Flitwick (M003941) are as follows:

Date: 3 Dec 1805
Event: Marriage
Bride: Anne Potter
Groom: John Odell

I am pretty certain that I know the parents of Anne Potter but need somebody to see if their is any additional information in the Flitwick Parish Registers.  In particular any of the following information would be helpful:

Age of Bride & Groom
Name of Bride & Groom's father
Parish of birth for both Bride & Groom

Any other details such as witnesses etc.

All efforts greatly appreciated.

Other Bedfordshire surnames of particular interest, since they are my wife's Great Grandparents, are: 

BONNER (Harlington & Westoning) 
FISHER (Maulden)
BURROWS (Pulloxhill & Westoning)
SUMMERFIELD (Maulden)
POILE (and all varients), FISHER, BONNER, BETTS, JENNER, MESSENGER, GIBBS (Shutford), FROUD

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Flitwick PRs - Marriage ODELL and POTTER
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 07:09 BST (UK) »
Generally the only other info the Flitwick parish register transcript might tell you is the parish either party were living in at the time of the marriage.

For that year the actual marriage entry available at Beds Archives would also tell you that (note this is not necessarily the parish they were born), plus their status, ie. bachelor, spinster, widow, widower. It won't have ages or parents names. The only other data is the names of 2 witnesses which may be of relatives

Now is this Anne Potter the one baptised 19/03/1786 at Flitwick to Andrew & Elizabeth Potter ?  If so we're looking for a John Odell born around the same timeframe. They seem to have baptised son James on the same wedding date having been born 25/10/1805. Do you know what became of him ?. Did he marry a Kitty/Catherine

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Harold1066

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 19:12 BST (UK) »
JohnP - In answer to your question the Anne Potter in my original posting is the daughter of Andrew & Elizabeth (nee Dalton) Potter.

The reason for asking for help is because there is some confusion with which one of many John Odell is the groom. 

I have him as the one  baptised in Flitton, however another researcher thinks he may be the one that was baptised in Toddington.  I was hoping that rather then just the facts that are on the IGI batch for the marriage there might be some additional information in the original Parish Record that has not transcribed. 

Guess without any further information we will never be able to work it out.

This particular POTTER line is in my extended tree because through several lines there are links from my wife's distant cousins back to Andrew & Elizabeth POTTER.

The information I have on their son James - is that he was born: 25 Oct 1805 and baptised on 3 Dec 1805 (wander if they got a discount??)  and he married Catherine 'kitty' Johnson on 18 Mar 1827.

In the 1861 census they are in Flitwick and he is a Ag Lab & she is a Lace Maker and they have two daughters at home:

Emma - born: 1843 - a Bonnet Sewer
Elizabeth - born: 1849 - a scholar.

I then have Elizabeth marrying Francis FOSSEY (born: 1846 in Ampthill) and they have 5 children:

Elizabeth - 1870
Frank - 1875
Emma - 1878
Theresa - 1880
Lizzie - 1886

However they appear to be moving around a lot (see below), Francis did end up working on the railways so this may explain the movement.

1871 - living in Ampthill, Bedfordshire (Census)
1875 - living in Sheffield, Yorkshire (birth of son Frank)
1878 on - living in Wellingborough, Northamptonshire  (birth of daughter Emma)

Kevin

POILE (and all varients), FISHER, BONNER, BETTS, JENNER, MESSENGER, GIBBS (Shutford), FROUD

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 21:15 BST (UK) »
OK the reason I asked if son James Odell married a Kitty/Catherine is that on 1851 census James Odell b 1809, written down as ODEL on the census image, plus wife Catherine born Lidlington, & 4 children have in their household a Sarah Odell - widow born 1772 Flitwick. Who is she - not his mother - perhaps grandmother ?
Clement - Croydon

Offline Harold1066

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 21:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info.  Because this is a family on the edge of my tree I have not got round to looking them up on the later censuses.

I normally pick a family every night and see where they take me.  Will have try and make this one a priority and see if the Census give further information.

Thanks again.

I would still like to know if there is anything else relating to the marriage in the original Parish Records not Transcriptions.  I.e. was the marriage by Banns or Licence? Then if Banns do the Banns books still exist?  If licence does a  copy of the license exist?

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 September 10 06:15 BST (UK) »
The microfilm of Flitwick parish register can be ordered from and viewed at your nearest LDS Family History Centre. The only item that the transcript doesn't detail are the witnesses. Parishes of residence if other than otp are shown. Ancestry has details of licences but the site doesn't seem to be working properly at the moment, at least, not for me.
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 September 10 16:48 BST (UK) »
From the 1805 marriage from the Flitwick PR is says John Odell from Toddington
Clement - Croydon

Offline Harold1066

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 September 10 20:03 BST (UK) »
JohnP - thanks guess I need to change my tree.

Kevin

Offline Harold1066

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
*COMPLETED* Flitwick PRs - Marriage ODELL and POTTER
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 19:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the help.

Kevin