Author Topic: 1851 BETNALL GREEN please  (Read 8069 times)

Offline SueB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 BETNALL GREEN please
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 January 06 15:13 GMT (UK) »
I am still hoping for some help but since changing computers I have lost some records and haven't checked the site for some time.

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Grandfather Bryant 1897
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 October 06 08:08 BST (UK) »
SueB

Another olde..............
Can you show us any census with your "Abbott" Durell family displayed please

As for "BEFRAFT" ..........BEF???? or is it BES??S? whatever it is it isn't BEFRAFT!

Bryant
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SueB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 October 06 14:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your interest in this difficult-to-place family.......

The family are listed on the 1861 as DARELL/DURELL living at Old King Street, St Nicholas, Deptford (RG9/397 page 36.

ABBOTT DURELL 40 stevedore
MARY A DURELL 38 wife
ABBOTT 11 son
MARY A 13 daughter
Eliza 7 daughter

MARY A (the wife) has a question mark LIMEHOUSE against her birth but the father and the rest of the children were born in Bethnall Green. 

ABBOTT died in 1863 aged 42, he was born in Bethnall Green but I have been unable to make any links with the other DURELL families in Bethnall Green.

If you can shed any light on MARY "BEFRAGHT" DURELL I would be most grateful.

SueB

I have only been able to trace the birth of one of the children ELIZA who was born in 1823 and the mothers name looks to me like BEFRAGT but I can't send any image as I don't have a scanner.

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 October 06 15:51 BST (UK) »
Is it possible that the name might be Becroft/Beacroft as it is along the lines of Befraft?

And if I look at Bethnal Green in 1841 the only 15-20 year olds (because of the 1841 rule ie 15-19=15, 20-24=20) are these who are all born Middx
William.........Richard........James........John
which one is Abbott...if any?

Bryant
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Offline SueB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 04 October 06 16:31 BST (UK) »
I went to a site showing "old writing" and I still couldn't decide what the letters were supposed to be.....

The Capital "B" is ok because the certificate has beer seller as occupation with a similar "B"
the next letter could be a "a" or a "e"
the next letter could be " double "S" but it looks more like a"f" and there is nothing to compare it with
the next letter is "r"  - OK
the next letter is probably "a"
then the "double s" or "f" again
lastly the "t" which corresponds to others on the certificate

The three children on the 1961 were all born in the late 1840/1850's

Is there any mention of Abbott on the 1941 as I doubt if he would be married by then. He would have been 21. 

Mary B.......... would also have been single aged approx. 19

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 05 October 06 07:39 BST (UK) »
No sighting of Abbott with a surname that remotely resembles Durell!

So we are looking for three children in the 1961 census who were born in the late 1840's early 1850's..............so they would all be 110 + in age  ;D
And then we are looking for an 120 year old Abbott in the 1941 census who is too young to have been married!   :o

Find him we must...........before he gets any older  ;D

Bryant

Offline SueB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 05 October 06 10:33 BST (UK) »
Sorry about the typing errors - I did read the reply before I sent it as well !!

Thanks for looking anyway.

I wonder why his records all state born in Bethnall Green but he can't be found.  I have found an Alfred Durell born in 1842 at S.Stoneham so maybe I'll try and get the certificate and see if it could be a mis-translation.  A later Abbott Durell is shown on the 1901 as ALFRED...

If I can take a decent photo of the birth certificate I have of ELIZA DURELL b 1853 with Mary's maiden name beginning with B............. I will send it to you. 

I feel this may be the only way to trace this family by the marriage certificate.

Thanks again

SueB

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 21 October 06 19:22 BST (UK) »
Sue

after looking at it.....i'm with you, I tried to make it something different but I can't

I thought it might have been Groom Street but didn't find one in Bethnal Green... so I have to agree it must be Green Street!

ABBOTT .............can't argue
DURELL.................    "
BEER SELLER..........   "
BEFROFT...............would like to argue...so will..........it looks like BEFROFT and the two "f''s" are identical.............but I think the first f is a mistake ie the registrar/clerk who transposed the info misheard or was somewhere else at the time!

you could sat it's a zzzzzzzzzz mistake but we wont go there  :-X

I think Mary's name is BECROFT and you will find her in 1841 living at 13 GEORGE STREET, STEPNEY and living next door at number 14 is a family with a strange name....looks like DARRELL or DURRELL  :o

Bryant

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 21 October 06 19:35 BST (UK) »
13 GEORGE STREET, STEPNEY
RICHARD BECROFT  45  LAB   N
MARY            "          45           Y
MARY            "          15           Y
ANNE            "          15           Y
ELLEN           "          12           Y
ELIZABETH   "           9            Y
ELIZA           "           5            Y
------------------
14 GEORGE STREET, STEPNEY
JOHN DARRELL  45  CARPENTER   N
MARY      "          45                      N
THOMAS "          20 CARPENTER   N
MARGARET "       15                      N
WILLIAM   "        15                     Y
ANNETT     "        10                     Y
JAMES       "        4                        Y
---------------
1841 rule on age applies ie 10-14=10, 15-19=15, 20-24=20 etc etc

Bryant