Author Topic: Sir Joseph Delon?  (Read 1917 times)

Offline RosieJ

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Sir Joseph Delon?
« on: Saturday 25 September 10 18:00 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I have recently been exchanging information with a distant relation regarding the Le Vesconte family. This rellie has a family diary with an entry stating that Alexander Percival Le Vesconte (born 1874 in Bedminster, Bristol) was the grandson of Sir Joseph Delon. We know that Alexander was the son of Daniel Le Vesconte (born 16.9.1828, St Helier) who was a shipbuilder and Alice Deslandes (born 1846, St Helier).

Information I have been given previously by kind rootschatters shows that Daniel's parents were Daniel and Elizabeth Esther (nee Nicolle) and Alice's parents were George and Cloice (nee Le Feuvre). So, I am not sure where this new name fits  ??? Have tried good ol' google but found nothing...... Would be grateful for any snippets anyone can offer!

Thanks
Shambrook - Devon, Monmouthshire, Herefordshire
Le Vesconte - Jersey, Monmouthshire, Bristol
Shults - London, Surrey, Essex, Middlesex
Clark - London, Surrey, Middlesex
Neasmith - London, Surrey, Middlesex
Sheppard - Dorset

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Sir Joseph Delon?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 September 10 23:43 BST (UK) »
If his paternal grandparents were surname Le Vesconte and his maternal grandparents were surname Nicolle - I fail to see how he can also be the full grandson of a Delon as well

I would suggest you ask the relative to clarify further - they may have missed a "great" out of grandparents

I would also ask them to provide more info on Sir Joseph as well so you can check him out on the censuses

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sir Joseph Delon?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 September 10 10:43 BST (UK) »
Just for your records

St Helier baptisms

Baptism            27/04/1845
Birth                 12/04/1845
Christian Name Alice
Surname           Deslandes Jnr.
Father              George
Mother              Jane le Feuvre
Father's occupation Batisseur de Navire  (shipbuilder I think!)
Godparents      Père Mère

I think Jane is a more likely name for her mother than Cloice, it's not a name I've ever seen in Jersey reecords.

The fact that the surname is entered in the records as Deslandes Jnr implies that Georg's father was also a George