Author Topic: Finding a recent death  (Read 1374 times)

Offline ange

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Finding a recent death
« on: Friday 01 October 10 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me....I am trying to find out if my auntie has died. Her and my father lost touch for over 20 years but I found her and reunited them a couple of years ago and he has stayed in touch since by the occasional phone call, letter and the very occasional visit. We have now been trying to contact her for around 3 months but her phone is cut off, there is no reply to letters and her house is empty!

Does anyone know how I can discover if she has died? I have tried the local papers for an obit but to no avail, according to 192.com she was on the electoral role last year but of course this years isn't done yet.

Any help is much appreciated
Ange
researching: Evans, Smith, Soundie, Brookfield, Frost, Douglas, Heron, Weaver,Redmond, Blackford, Furmedge & McKittrick

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chirp

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Finding a recent death
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 October 10 21:54 BST (UK) »
Ask her neighbours? Did she have any children you can contact? It's possible of course that she has been taken into a home.
Chirp
AVERY, Berks, BLUNDELL, North Meols, BOND, Wilts,  BRUNDRETT, Lancs, CHORLTON, Salford, DUNKLEY, West Haddon, FOGGIN, Yorks, GRANT, Durham,  GRESTY, Salford, GRINDROD, Salford, HUMM, Bethnal Green, MALONEY, Limerick & Lancs,  MARCHANT, Worcs, McPHERSON, Kent, MELLISH, Finsbury, PERRETT, Wilts,  RAGG, Yorks, RAINSFORD, Staffs, RENSHAW, Salford, ROSS, Leicester, TIGHE/TYE, All, WELLER, Berks, WILKINSON, Wes
Early 19th C Hairdressing & Perfumery
Spittalfields Silkweavers
Glass making, S Shields

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 October 10 22:43 BST (UK) »
When an elderly aunt didn't respond to a regular phone call we tried the phone company first: on this occasion the phone was faulty!

The police will also check premises if you have reason to believe that the person is at risk. 

Since it sounds as though your relative has moved out in at least one sense, you could try asking the local social services if they have had contact with her.  If you are next of kin they should let you know - but of course there are privacy issues to be considered.

I hope you find her safe and sound!

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 October 10 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Ange

I have access to the upto date GRO death indices.

If you want me to have a look, please send me a pm with her name, date of birth and last known address (ie town or city not necessarily street) and I'll have a look for you during the week.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline ange

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 October 10 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for your replies, to be honest I never thought of asking the neighbours but we now think that we have tracked her daughter down so my father is writing to her and hoping we have the right person :)

Thanks for the offer Dawn I will pm you just as soon as I dig out her date of birth (or contact my dad for the info..lol)

Ange
researching: Evans, Smith, Soundie, Brookfield, Frost, Douglas, Heron, Weaver,Redmond, Blackford, Furmedge & McKittrick

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk