Author Topic: English family- Ballymoney to Belfast then vanish?  (Read 3727 times)

Offline Bluebean87

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: English family- Ballymoney to Belfast then vanish?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 13:05 BST (UK) »
That's my tree you're talking about. I didn't realise it was public. I'm currently working through it so please have a bit of patience and room for error.

Aghadowey, are you related to this line?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 23:43 BST (UK) »
There are local connections  :)

I still haven't been able to confirm that Samuel English (married Jane Hackett) is the son of William & Hannah English of Gorran then Crevolea.
I did find the death of Jane (Hackett) English but not of her husband Samuel but I'm wondering if he's the Samuel English died 1867 Coleraine district (certificate not yet online). I also found their daughter Eliza (very sad story) and the 2 sons named James.
What I haven't found yet is proof that David English (married Mary Elizbeth Mooney) is the son of this same Samuel.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 30 July 21 09:02 BST (UK) »
I still haven't been able to confirm that Samuel English (married Jane Hackett) is the son of William & Hannah English of Gorran then Crevolea.
I did find the death of Jane (Hackett) English but not of her husband Samuel but I'm wondering if he's the Samuel English died 1867 Coleraine district (certificate not yet online). I also found their daughter Eliza (very sad story) and the 2 sons named James.
What I haven't found yet is proof that David English (married Mary Elizbeth Mooney) is the son of this same Samuel.
Samuel English died 1867 at Crevolea from consumption, William English was informant. This would have left his widow Jane with young children to raise. Next trace of the family, so far, is daughter's marriage 1879 in Belfast.

Offline Bluebean87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 30 July 21 11:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much  :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 30 July 21 16:10 BST (UK) »
Do you have more information on the family of Samuel English & Jane Hackett? I've found daughter Eliza & family, first son James died young, second son James might have gone to Canada but supposed to be a Samuel & Hugh in that family. Also haven't found proof that there was a son David so still quite a few gaps in my notes for this branch of the family.

Offline Bluebean87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 30 July 21 16:32 BST (UK) »
David's surname was misspelt as Anguis in his marriage to Elizabeth Mooney. I noticed this on a close dna matches tree.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Thanks

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 31 July 21 10:24 BST (UK) »
The marriage brings up more questions (never would have looked for 'Anguis') since grooms father is listed as weaver rather than carpenter or joiner. Samuel English died 1867 so it's possible that David got his father's occupation wrong.
However, in 1911 census David has a brother Samuel English in the household (born c1871 is age is accurate). I can't find a birth registration for a Samuel English that fits and if Samuel's father was also Samuel he had to have been born before April 1868. If brother Samuel born before 1864 this would explain the lack of a birth registration. Samuel English & Jane Hackett supposed to have had a son Samuel born 1859 (not sure what this is based on- perhaps a baptism?) which, if the same brother, would make him 12 years older than 1911 census age.
If family information is correct then there was also a Hugh English born 1859 but I haven't located any records for him.
Am still searching for 2nd marriage of David English to see what's listed for father's name & occupation, names of witnesses, etc.
Samuel & Jane's daughter Eliza had the middle name Knox- but this could have come from the Hackett side rather than English family or perhaps not even a family surname.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 31 July 21 11:39 BST (UK) »
You go on find my past, then fill in the name Samuel English, were they are from (ireland) and date 1855

then it will bring a list up of English, there is a Samuel English that died in 1856

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 31 July 21 11:41 BST (UK) »
You go on find my past, then fill in the name Samuel English, were they are from (ireland) and date 1855

then it will bring a list up of English, there is a Samuel English that died in 1856

I've already mentioned that Samuel English died 1867 at Crevolea. See reply #10