Author Topic: Harkins, Cunan of Lisnaskea  (Read 2834 times)

Offline tubbyk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Harkins, Cunan of Lisnaskea
« on: Sunday 03 October 10 04:15 BST (UK) »
My GG Grandfather was James Harkins - b. abt 1827 - d. 1873

He married Mary Ann Butler in 1857 in Australia. According to the marriage certificate he was born approx 1827 in Lisnaskea, Co. Fermanagh and his parents were Patrick Harkins and Anne Cunan. I'm not exactly sure of the Cunan name or if it should be Curran?

He was a police constable in Geelong, Victoria. At various stages, including on his death certificate his name has been Harkin, without the 's'.

Any help finding out more of the Irish ancestry and connection would be appreciated, as I keep on hitting dead ends.

Many Thanks.

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Harkins, Cunan of Lisnaskea
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 October 10 11:59 BST (UK) »
Harkin/Harkins is not a common name in Fermanagh. There are no Harkins entries in the 1901 census for the county at all, and only a single family of Harkin (in Lisbellaw, near Lisnaksea). I see the head of that family originally came from Co Leitrim.

Your family seem likely to be RC, but unfortunately the baptism records for Holy Cross RC church, in Lisnaskea only start in 1835 so you seem unlikely to find a record of James' birth c 1827. However since the name is so rare it might be worth checking the early baptism records in case you find any possible siblings.

There are no Cunan entries in the 1901 census for Fermanagh, but there are 115 Curran entries so your assumption that may be the right spelling of the surname seems sound.

Elwyn
Elwyn

Offline tubbyk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 October 10 14:15 BST (UK) »
Elwyn, thank you so much for replying and looking up that information for me. I'll definitely follow up on the Lisbellaw Harkin family, as James lists his birthplace as Lisnaskea on all the birth certificates of his children.

James and Mary did marry in a Catholic church in Melbourne.

Thanks again. I appreciate your help.

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 October 10 14:33 BST (UK) »
Glad to have helped. I forgot to give you the link to the 1901 & 1911 censuses.

www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/?then
Elwyn