Author Topic: Jones family  (Read 3464 times)

Offline Balnacree

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jones family
« on: Wednesday 06 October 10 20:30 BST (UK) »
I am trying to locate a book written by Randall Jones from, Ulsterville Park, Portadown on the Jones family Tree, when two Jones brothers arrived in Scarva from Wales in the 1650's.

I have copy of the Portadown Times dated November 25 1994, When Randall and his wife produced the book of the family tree for Jones back to Scarva in 1649.

I have been unable to get the name of the book or find it in the library.

Any information would be much appreciated
Fulton, Christie, Gracey, Jones, Hemphill,

Offline Sheilings2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Jones family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 05:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi i have been searching for jones in armagh for years and would appreciate any leads you might have or get from your post re the book,  there is another old book by robert leach on the history of the jones family in ireland published in yonkers new york it seems to be in some archives but i haven't been able to find anything. good luck with your search i will advise if i find anything more.

Offline Balnacree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 20:39 GMT (UK) »
My Jones came from Wales in the mid 1600's and settled in Scarva Co down.  Do you have any names for the Jones you are looking.

Will be pleased to share any information I have

elizabeth

Offline Sheilings2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 05:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth,
Thanks for your reply. All the information that I have is the names of the family that left Armagh in 1824. I have located them on a passenger list but the trail ends there at the moment. Their names were : Robert Jones, wife Mary Bell Jones and 9 of their 11 children. The 2 eldest sons came earlier to Canada and settled in Prince Edward County, Ontario. The family have lots of information from that point on, but it would be very interesting to learn more about the Irish background. The only other things I recall was that Robert gave up a life lease on his farm in order to emigrate and the family had at some earlier point in history had their property confiscated for refusing to give up the old religion. All this is anectdotal of course and subject to the variables of human memory. I think that the family of Mary Bell would have been from the Scottish plantation, but have no idea when. I have looked under the gaelic spelling of the name Jones also and have been searching by trying to correlate community farm groupings where both names appear. It may be totally futile but guess I enjoy the process of the hunt. I would be interested in seeing your information if you think it could be a connection.  I do have a photograph of Robert & Mary. Cheers

Offline Balnacree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 November 10 18:53 GMT (UK) »
I know that my Jones came with the Plantation from Wales.

Do you know what part of Co Armagh they came from.  The Jones I have were based aroung Scarva, Drumillar and Auglish.

If you can give me any more information, I will check it against my records.

Regards

elizabeth

Offline Sheilings2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 November 10 05:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello Elizabeth, I am so excited I have been looking for the Robin Leech (Jones) book for years and found it today! It may have the answers you are looking for also. I have had a rushed look through it  as it can be either downloaded or read on line,but don't have any connections as yet. The identifier access is:  http://www.archive.org/details/jonesfamilyinire00leecark:/13960/t9571v53n

It is sponsored by the Allen County Public Library Genealogy Center (American spelling)

Hope you find this useful. Look forward to hearing from you again. Happy hunting. S

Offline Balnacree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 November 10 17:51 GMT (UK) »
This looks very interesting.  I have been told that they can will Cromwell it would be nice to think this this was them.

Have you been able to print it?

Thanks for finding this.

There is another book written by someone in Portadown, Co Armagh about the Jones, but I am still trying to locate.

Will keep searching.

regards

elizabeth

Offline stepleen

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 November 22 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Randall Jones was my father my parents did work on family tree but didn't write a book on it they had a book of documents and old photos that accompanies the family tree