Author Topic: Cartmel baptism 1753 COMPLETED  (Read 757 times)

Offline jpnewt75

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cartmel baptism 1753 COMPLETED
« on: Tuesday 12 October 10 08:49 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

If anyone has access to Cartmel baptisms from around 1753 sort of time would they be able to do a check for me for a baptism of a George Holme?

I believe there has been something published for Cartmel for this sort of time, I have seen records from Cartmel before the 1700s and again in the 1800s online, but can't find anything for Cartmel online for this sort of time.

I am leaning towards a baptism of George to a Nicholas at Colton in 1753, at his marriage it states he was of the parish of Cartmel, so I guess i'd just like to rule out other possibilities before going with the baptism at Colton.

Thanks for any assistance in advance.
John

Offline Sharon01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Cartmel baptism 1753
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 08:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Don't know if you have seen this & ruled it out. (pilot family search)

George Holme baptised on 09/06/1753 at Colton, Lancashire. Father's name Nicholas Holme.

Sharon

Fagan/England/Ireland
Aldridge/London
Sills/London/Kent
Hartwell/London
Salkeld/Cumberland/Northumberland
Robinson/London
Stewart/Ireland/Scotland/England

Offline jpnewt75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Cartmel baptism 1753
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 09:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon, yes, that's the 1 i'm leaning towards at the moment.  I originally found that one in one of the Lancashire Parish Register Society volumes, however just wanted to check before going for that one that there wasn't a baptism of George at Cartmel at a similar time.

The thing holding me back at the moment, and I know it seems a bit odd, is that the naming traditions of 2 sons of George seem to go mother's father, the father, and then the paternal grandfather.  If this was the case with the children baptised to George that I know of, then George's father may be called James, of course there might be other baptisms I haven't found to George, and his wife Isabella but so far, none called Nicholas.  There's John, George, James, Ann, Thomas and Robert.

I know Isabella's father was John, the second child was most likely named after the father, if the naming traditions are the same with George as they are with 2 of his sons then the 3rd would be named after George's father.

Best wishes
John

Offline jpnewt75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Cartmel baptism 1753 COMPLETED
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 October 10 07:50 BST (UK) »
There was no record of a baptiism of George in the Cartmel parish in around 1753.  So this is now completed, thank you.