Author Topic: Hier, Jersey 1830's  (Read 2625 times)

Offline suellen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hier, Jersey 1830's
« on: Tuesday 12 October 10 21:05 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have a gg grandmother Mary Ann who i think has the maiden name of Hier (with an accent over the e) as shown on a birth cert for one of her daughters.
Family legend has it she was French from Arras, coming to England during the Franco-Prussian War, but the census entries starting from 1871 have her as being born in Jersey.
Any help explaining why she would say Jersey, and any tips to finding her in France would be great.
Suellen.
Pearce - Berks, Griffin - Berks/Bucks, Moody - Hants, Beesley - Oxon, Wells - Worcs, Elton - Oxon, Beeken -Worcs, Barr - London, Oakham - London, Wynne - London and Birkenhead, Knight - Plymouth and London, Ahier - France / Jersey / London

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hier, Jersey 1830's
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hi

Can you tell me her married name please?

Stewart

Offline suellen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hi
Yes it was Knight, she married Edward Erasmus Knight, but i can not find any proof, i.e. certificate.
Suellen
Pearce - Berks, Griffin - Berks/Bucks, Moody - Hants, Beesley - Oxon, Wells - Worcs, Elton - Oxon, Beeken -Worcs, Barr - London, Oakham - London, Wynne - London and Birkenhead, Knight - Plymouth and London, Ahier - France / Jersey / London

Offline sylke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello
My Ahier name pronounced IA in Jersey early ones 1500's come from St. Saviour then to Grouville then to St. Clement Jersey Island.  In 1780's my ancestor Jacques Ahier left Jersey for Canada.  The name is probably French but when you are looking for records in the 1500
s you are lucky.  Many of my Ahier names are Philippe and jacques lol 

Offline suellen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 November 10 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for the reply, your ancestors departure from Jersey is too early for any connection but thanks anyway.
Your pronunciation of Ahier is exactly as my mother remembers it, but we have been unsure of the spelling until i received a birth certificate for her grand mother.

Suellen.

Offline sylke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 November 10 11:38 GMT (UK) »
They probably are related as everybody on the island is related lol. I have been there 4 times I love it there

Offline pamhi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 April 11 01:20 BST (UK) »
Suellen
I have checked the AHIER baptisms for a Mary/Marie Ann(e) but cannot find an exact match at this stage.  There were no Mary/Maries baptised in St Helier around that timeframe.
Funnily enough I have a Mary Ann AHIER (of similar age) md to a William Joseph KNIGHT.  He was from Guernsey.
Did you not find the marriage in the Jersey records?
Filleul/Le Brun/Ahier/Touzel/Falle/Le Moignan - Jersey, Channel Islands
Hepburn - Greenock, Scotland
Lyle - Greenock, Scotland; London England