Author Topic: Parrotts of patrington/patrington haven  (Read 41252 times)

Offline Sarah Shaw (Croft)

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parrotts of patrington/patrington haven
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Parrott team, this is so exciting...

I am on the Croft side of the family from Winestead. My great grandma, Everhila Parrott married Thomas Croft formerly of Masham, North Yorkshire but then moved to Winestead, Park Farm (next to the White Hall) from Field House Patrington Haven.

My mother has just visited the Tate Gallery archives in London to see the work of Harry Watson, which was Everhilda's cousin ( I think). He was very talented and famous painter. So if you are related to the Parrotts, then you have links to some serious artistic heritage.

See link.
http://www.tate.org.uk/servlet/ArtistWorks?cgroupid=999999961&artistid=2123&page=1&sole=y&collab=y&attr=y&sort=default&tabview=bio

I also live in Patrington, near the church and have seen all the Parrott gravestones - Everhilda and Thomas are buried at Winestead church with all their children including my Grandad, Richard Croft and his wife Elizabeth Croft (formerly also of Park Farm Winestead). I can tell you some interesting storied about life at Patrington Haven as Everilda passed these stories onto my Grandma and then her to me. I also have some pictures from the time of Patrington Haven including the Haven and the ladies gathered around the old watering pump on the main street. The Haven did eventually silt up around 1856 which is why they moved the fishing smack to Stoney Creek. Lots to tell...

Regards
Sarah

;)

Offline sootybear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 17 February 11 06:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarah,

Everhilda is my 2nd cousin 3x removed ... if this helps  you where I fit in!! LOL .  I would love to hear the stories as I have absolutely no knowledge of my family apart what has been posted on this forum.  My Mum didn't know her grandparents names, so stories were out of the question.  It is so nice to find people who can give me a glimpse of the life of my ancestors.  We might have to set up one of those free websites where we can all add our information.   Might  have to investigate that!  Do you know if there are any Bielby's or Bryan's in the cemetery in Patrington?  This is so exciting ...

Regards,
Sharon.
Wards, Bressay, Shetland Islands.
Swift, Lincolnshire, East Riding of Yorkshire.
Bielby, East Riding of Yorkshire.
Nixon/Hancock, Lincolnshire.
Tyson, Lincolnshire.
Parrott/Finch, Yorkshire

Offline I've left

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 17 February 11 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharon
The MIs at Patrington by the East Yorkshire FHS has no BRYANs but George A BIELBY is mentioned at ref. 637 and 691.
637 is the war memorial inside the church - men of Patrington who died - George A BIELBY Pte. 10th Battalion RMLI
691 is the war memorial in the town square.

Bryan

Offline hoppout

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 00:23 GMT (UK) »

Sootybear wanted to know about the Patrington Haven Parrott family's links to the Rank family of flour fame. My 2x gt grandfather Fewson Hopper (b. 1822) lived with Robert and Jane Parrott (1841 census) and was apprenticed to them as a fisherman. He later joined the lifeboat crew and was promoted to mate and then Master or coxswain (1865-77), retiring to become lighthouse keeper at Saltend.

William Hopper, Fewson's father, sold his flour mill to the Rank family and there several intermarriages between the two families. The Parrotts, being friends, may also have been involved.
The Rank connections included Joseph Rank (the power behind the flour-making giant RHM) and J Arthur Rank, the film maker.

hoppout

Offline Polsmif

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 27 February 11 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello all you "Parrott watchers"
It's been great to read all your contributions to the thread. Loads of information which I've found really informative. I've just come back from a week staying in Holderness, while trying to add information to my family tree - it was great to meet some of my older relatives - who grew up in "Field House, Patrington Haven".
And to take my kids down to Stoney Creek, like my grandad used to take me. He used to fish from there in "Nimrod"
We also visited Patrington Church - "The Queen of Holderness"- where I was christened, and generations of family have been married, christened, and buried. It brings a lump to my throat looking at some of the stones - the tragedy of the loss of the fishing boat in 1916, and the death of Jim and his son (Both James Arthur Parrott) - I believe my Great Grandad, Richard Sidney, was the only survivor. (I have a poem that was written after the tragedy, apparently was printed in the local paper, =>if anyone is interested, I'm happy to share it.)
With ref to the orginal thread - Fennel Parrott, born in 1818, was my Great,great,great grandad.
Thanks for all your time and effort.
Cheers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 16 March 11 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I would love to see a copy of the newspaper article.
Are you able to scan it or send it to me via rootschat?
I remember my nanna, Elisabeth Croft talking about the two men that died. I am sure she said something about them taking barnacles off their boat (whilst in a little foot boat) and it over turned or something like this - or maybe this was another incident?
Regards
Sarah

Offline Polsmif

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 17:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah
The poem's a bit long, and inclined to religion, - rather than subject all to it - I've PM'd you.
Cheers
Paul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 20:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Paul, that is fantastic.

Where did you say you had found the poem? Was it a newspaper and was  Mr Joseph Stevenson the author? Was it written specifically for them?

Sorry for lots of questions it is so nice to hear the background to how it came about

Kind regards
Sarah

Offline Sue Quail

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 28 May 11 12:02 BST (UK) »
Have been reading all about the Parrotts from Patrington Haven - researching my husband's family - his Great Grandfather was Henry Parrott 1846 - 1935 brother of James Parrot.  They sailed the Perserverence fishing smack which is now in the museum of fishing in Grimsby.  We have several old photographs of the boat and some taken at the museum.  I also have the poem written by Joseph Stevenson following the drowning in 1888 of James Parrott and his son.  I am trying to find out abit more about James - who was his wife, son?