Author Topic: Theodosia Hughes and family 1851 + 1841 for Alice and Enoch Price.  (Read 3630 times)

Offline jeanberry50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Theodosia Hughes and family 1851 + 1841 for Alice and Enoch Price.
« on: Thursday 14 October 10 02:49 BST (UK) »
I am sorry but this is a bit of a complicated request.
I have found what I think is my Gr Gr Gr Gr Grandmother in the 1841 census Theodosia Hughes b abt 1786 and possibly her husband John Hughes b abt 1788 along with what looks to be 2 of their children Mary Hughes b 1826 and Thomas Hughes b abt 1834 along with what I think are 2 grandchildren Ann and Jane Robinson. All living at Edmunton St, Court 7, Birmingham, Warwickshire. 

I believe Theodosia died in 1860 so I thought it would be easy to find her in 1851 but after hours of searching on Ancestry I am drawing a blank for all the family apart from the two Grandchildren. I have found a possible Thomas Hughes as a Partner (which should read Patient on Ancestry) at Bath Row Queens Hospital in 1851

What I believe is the grandchildren are with their mother Alice Price nee Hughes b abt 1816 d 24 Dec 1882 and their step father Enoch Price b 23 Sep 1815 died 19 May 1854, in 1851 at 2 Court 3, Hill Street, Birmingham.
This appears to be somewhat of a complicated family has in 1851 Ann and Jane Robinson are shown to be the Daughter in law to Enoch. 
From this I assume that Alice Price was married previously to a John Robinson according to the LDS has this site has Ann's baptism shown with parents John Robinson and Alice. However I have not found their marriage.
Alice and Enoch Price being my Gr Gr Gr Grandparents.  No Marriage found apart from an entry submitted to LDS stating abt 1837 but this can not be correct as Ann Robinson was born in 1837 and her sister Jane 1839.
I cannot find the 1841 Census for both Alice Hughes/Robinson/Price or Enoch Price. Enoch was a gun maker/gun barrel finisher. Both born in Birmingham.
I know I have the correct family has my Gr Gr Grandfather was born at 2 Court Hill St., on his birth certificate.  The other strange thing is that on his birth certificate he is given the first names of Thomas Joseph Robinson with the surname of Price.  Mother is down as Alice Price formerly Hughes (which ties in with the Hughes family in 1841.) But it seems strange that although Enoch is Thomas's father that he should be given a first name including that of a possible previous marriage.
I have Thomas's marriage certificate which only gives the first name of Thomas but ties in with Enoch father gun maker (he had passed away at the age of 38 yrs.) 
However his mother now has the surname of Blocksidge (I have verification of this marriage) and the 1871 census confirms the surname of Thomas's mother and the address ties in with Thomas's marriage certificate.

I said at the onset that this was complicated.

So to break this down I am looking for and any additional information on this family would be greatfully received.
1841 Census for Enoch Price Gun Maker/finisher.  Also Alice Hughes/Robinson/Price Screw Maker
1851 Census for Theodosia, John (Labourer) children Mary (Screw Maker)and Thomas Hughes
1861 Census for Alice Hughes/Robinson/Price, or could possibly be using the surname of Blocksidge although she didn't marry James Blocksidge until 1869. The 1871 census  shows 2 additional children which could be Alice's, Mary Blocksidge b abt 1856 (and Andrew Blocksidge b 4th q of 1861 he will not show in 1861) along with Thomas Price (my Gr Gr Grandfather) his sister Charlotte b 1848 and brother Enoch b 1853. All born in Birmingham.

Thank you so much for looking through this request.
Jean
Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons-Galway Ire.+ Lanc's,: Hagan-Mayo, Ire: Price, Wheeler, Hughes-Birmingham: Freeman-Kenilworth Warwick:  Cooper-Glossop, Norfolk: Hall, Wilson-Cambridgeshire:  Domville/Domvile/de Domville-Lanc's+Cheshire+ Wirral+France: de Brinstage, Venables, Brereton, de Legh, Savage, Troutbeck, Keighley, Carrington: Massey, de Mobberely, Warburton, Lycester: Sudwoth, Twist, Lions, Broadhust-Cheshire: Sneyde-Bradwell.Keele:Shaw, Broadhurst, Baker, Baguley, Owen, Cross-Lanc's

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Theodosia Hughes and family 1851 + 1841 for Alice and Enoch Price.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 October 10 03:26 BST (UK) »
Could this be Enoch Price in 1841 Image says as Enok Prise!
He is 24 and with Caroline age 20.
I can't read the second word of his occupation but the first word is Barrel (I think)
HO107 piece 1143 folio 48 page 19 book 10

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 October 10 11:10 BST (UK) »
Excellent find crisane :)
Hi Jean,
Enoch and Alice also had a Child EDWARD Price,
Birth 1847, Burial 28 March 1848, St Phillip, Birmingham, Warwickshire
Parents ENOCH Price and ALICE Price
Marital Status Single
(Does this refer to Edward or Enoch and Alice?)
(Source Familysearch Pilot)

As there is such a large gap between Ann/Jane Robinson and then Edward and Charlotte Price, I would say they did not get together until 1846ish and maybe never Married.

With regard to CAROLINE Price in the 1841 Census it looks like she was Enochs Sister;
Caroline PRICE, Christened/Baptised 28 Sept 1821, Birth 09 July 1821,
St Phillips, Birmingham, Warwickshire
Parents EDWARD and ELIZABETH
ENOCH Price, Chr/Bap 07 April 1817, St Phillips, Birmingham,
Birth 23 Sept 1815 Slaney Street
Parents, EDWARD and ELIZABETH

Enochs Burial Record has him born c 1822
(All on F/S Pilot)

ELIZABETH Woodward is also a Sister;
Marriage
Elizabeth PRICE, Sept 1840, Aston, 16 255
On the same page is Henry WOODWARD

ELIZABETH Price was Chr/Bapt 12 April 1819, Birth 20 March 1819, all details the same as Enoch/Caroline

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 October 10 12:02 BST (UK) »
Possible Marriage;
John HUGHES
Theodosia WHEELER, 24 April 1814, Saint Marys, Handsworth, Stafford
(Source IGI, Extracted)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline jeanberry50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 October 10 03:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much to both Crisani and Trish.  You have been a great help and I have been able to add to the family from the information you have found.
I had found young Edward Price who had died in 1848. But all the other information especialy Enoch's sisters and Elizabeths marriage had passed me by probably because not finding that 1841 Census. 
I doubt that there would be another Theodosia marrying a John Hughes and goodness knows why I didn't find that. 
I had searched and searched for them and this is really what prompted my to put my questions to the forum.  It was my first entry so I am thrilled that someone could help me.
I also have thought that perhaps Alice had just taken the name of Price and possibly Robinson.
Thank you once again. Jean
Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons-Galway Ire.+ Lanc's,: Hagan-Mayo, Ire: Price, Wheeler, Hughes-Birmingham: Freeman-Kenilworth Warwick:  Cooper-Glossop, Norfolk: Hall, Wilson-Cambridgeshire:  Domville/Domvile/de Domville-Lanc's+Cheshire+ Wirral+France: de Brinstage, Venables, Brereton, de Legh, Savage, Troutbeck, Keighley, Carrington: Massey, de Mobberely, Warburton, Lycester: Sudwoth, Twist, Lions, Broadhust-Cheshire: Sneyde-Bradwell.Keele:Shaw, Broadhurst, Baker, Baguley, Owen, Cross-Lanc's

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 October 10 18:20 BST (UK) »
You are very welcome.
Without crisanes finding this may have never come together.
Isnt Rootschat great ;D

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 October 10 01:39 BST (UK) »
You are very welcome.
Isnt Rootschat great ;D

Yes! ;D

Offline jeanberry50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 October 10 02:53 BST (UK) »
I agree with you both, although its the people who contribute who are great. 
But what a great system. 
I joined some time ago but have just struggled through with the occasional help from members of the LOPC who I have been transcribing for. for the past 4 years, so my own tree tends to go on the back burner.
I also think it helps when you can share a problem has someone else may well look at the problem in a different way and hey presto you have got through another brick wall.

Perhaps someone can help with a little problem I seem to have.  I tried to enter my research names etc into my profile but they don't appear to be saved to add to my postings.  Is there something I am missing? Maybe I have to add a photo for it to be accepted. I notice that Trish has a listing at the end of your reply.

Offline jeanberry50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 October 10 02:54 BST (UK) »
Please forget that last part of my message, it does appear to have saved.