Author Topic: Help with the Crick side of my family  (Read 4838 times)

Offline cookie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Help with the Crick side of my family
« on: Sunday 17 October 10 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

Im stuck on William Crick born abt 1817 in either lidgate or ipswich.

On some census it says ipswich on others it says lidgate.

Ive just looked on ancestry and a few people have their trees on there that have a william crick in. The trouble is some say he married elizabeth ann ling and others say elizabeth ling married william smith. All the trees have elizabeth ling as having the same parents, george ling and jemima burch.
On the census it says the elizabeth im going by is using her middle name ann and the elizabeth that married william smith married using the name betsey ling.

This is getting really confusing.

I only looked to see if anyone had any cricks in their trees. Im now begining to wish i hadnt looked.

Any help much appreciated.

cookie
Allington from Woolpit & Ipswich, Suffolk
Hammond from Ipswich, Gosbeck & Ashbocking, Suffolk
Fitch from Ipswich & Woodbridge, Suffolk
Ellis from Cheshire & Lancashire

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with the Crick side of my family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 October 10 12:37 BST (UK) »
These Williams seem to be 2 different people.   The 1851 Census shows William Crick bc.1818 Ipswich married to an Ann and a William J. Crick bc.1818 Lidgate married to an Elizabeth.

Which one are you interested in - the one married to Ann or the one married to Elizabeth?

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cookie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 October 10 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette

Thanks for your reply.

Im going on notes made by someone else were William is concerned. From what i can make out the william i am interested in seeded to be born in lidgate but married in ipswich.
Williams parents were Jeffery Crick and Mary Pulham.

This is why its a bit confusing. Im not really sure as there are 2 williams born around the same time. Thats when i started getting really confused, when i saw all the different trees on ancestry, one with the name i am interested in and another with a different name both married to a woman with the same name. Both trees give same birth dates and her parents names but married to different men.

Confused, i am. (but if i had to guess id say it was ann that i would be interested in)

cookie
Allington from Woolpit & Ipswich, Suffolk
Hammond from Ipswich, Gosbeck & Ashbocking, Suffolk
Fitch from Ipswich & Woodbridge, Suffolk
Ellis from Cheshire & Lancashire

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 October 10 13:34 BST (UK) »
Going out for the afternoon so will try and come back to this later.

Annette
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 October 10 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hi cookie

The trees on Ancestry are interesting for comparison purposes, but it is a great mistake to just take what is on them as the truth.  I know this because I am frequently surprised by some of the strange entries people have for my own family!  I do find them useful though, and have made some interesting contacts as a result.  But if I find any useful hints from the Ancestry trees, I follow them up and do my own research to assure myself that they are correct.  Another problem is that a lot of people do a 'cut and paste' of trees where they find possible matches without researching thoroughly so if the first tree contains an error this is repeated ad infinitum when the tree is just copied.

An example of this is that someone made the assumption (because of the different surname) that one of my great-grandparents had an illegitimate child while they were married and that the family subsequently adopted that child.  The truth of the matter is that the child in question is actually their grandchild who was living with them temporarily, but because of lack of research, my poor great-grandfather is now indelibly marked as an adulterer.  I feel quite incensed on his behalf; I contacted the person whose tree it is, but of course have had no reply.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 October 10 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Cookie

Have studied this long and hard - looked at the trees too - and think the latter have all got something wrong!  Seems to me people have tried to make pieces fit and they just don't!

First of all, neither of the 2 Williams was married to an Elizabeth Ann Ling born Blaxhall as stated on the trees.

William Crick bc.1818 Lidgate was baptised 12/3/1818 Lidgate (son of Jeffery Crick and wife Mary) and died 1883 Cambridge.  His wife Elizabeth was according to all the census born Comberton, Cambs.   William Crick married Elizabeth Williamson in 1844 at Cambridge (baptised 1816 Comberton as shown on IGI).   Elizabeth Crick died in Cambridge the year after her husband.

William Crick bc.1818 Ipswich was baptised 31/8/1817 St. Mary Tower, Ipswich son of John and Sarah Crick.    (John Crick married Sarah Davie 22/8/1816 St. Clements, Ipswich).   His wife Ann - on all the census - is shown as born Ipswich.   He is the one who married an Elizabeth Ann Ling in 1837 Ipswich.   However, have found her baptism and she was baptised as Ann Elizabeth Ling (not Elizabeth Ann) in a non-confirmist church in Ipswich on 19/2/1816, dau. of John and Elizabeth Ling.   She is shown as Ann on all the census and died - registered as plain Ann - in 1874 Ipswich aged 59.   William is a widower in 1881 Census and died Dec.1887 Ipswich.

At least one of the trees states that William and Ann are shown on the 1841 Census at Tuddenham, Ipswich with the name Crask.   This is not them.   They were in fact in Ipswich transcribed as Cricks with a 2 year old dau. shown as Ann.  However, this should actually be their eldest dau. Charlotte so don't know if this was an enumerators error or whether they called her Ann as a youngster.   She is definitely Charlotte in 1851 Census and birth registered as such.

William and Ann are a nightmare on the census (all in Ipswich) because of the ages they gave.

1841 - both shown as aged 20 (that's correct as ages rounded down in this census.
1851 - He's 33 and she's 36.
1861 - Both shown as 50
1871 - He 68, she 65
1881 - He's 77.

Luckily whoever informed the registrar of their deaths got their ages right.   His Dec.1887 Ipswich aged 71 and Ann's 1874 aged 59.

So, as you can see, neither of the 2 Williams was married to an Elizabeth Ann Ling born at Blaxhall - in fact the Elizabeth they show, dau. of George and Jemima, was just plain Elizabeth not an Elizabeth Ann.    William born Lidgate wife was Elizabeth born Comberton and William born Ipswich wife Ann born Ipswich.

Ignore the trees - they are definitely wrong.  

If it's Elizabeth Ling born Blaxhall who you are really interested in then she appears to have married William Smith in Blaxhall 19/4/1838 and she died there 1892.

Hope this now clarifies just who was who and who married who.

Annette

London -  Monk

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 October 10 22:28 BST (UK) »
If you do find your research takes you to Blaxhall, there is a memberof the Blaxhall Archive Group with a database of Lings' with over 12,000 names on it  :o

PM me if interested in contacting directly.

Pat ...

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Hephzibah

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 October 10 11:40 BST (UK) »
To add to the fantastic research done by Annette 7, these two are recorded in the records of the Ipswich Unitarian Meeting House

Ann Elizabeth Ling Daughter of John & Elizabeth Ling born Decr 21st 1815 & baptized Feby 19th 1816 By me I. Perry.

Mary Ling Daughter of John & Elizabeth Ling born 13th August 1817 and baptized 23rd November 1817 By me I. Perry.

Hephzibah
PENDAL & variants: Suffolk; Bardwell, Tannington, Weybread, Dennington & Worlingworth
ELLINOR: Suffolk; Redgrave/ Gislingham.
GRAYSTON: Suffolk; Ipswich.
GIRLING: Suffolk; Stradbroke/Ipswich
HAWES: Suffolk; Harkstead/Holbrook/Capel St Mary/Ipswich
BECK: Co Durham; Chopwell & Northumberland; Newcastle upon Tyne.
MILLER: Cumberland; Mawbray/Hayrigg/ Silloth.
FAIRLAM: Co Durham; Allendale Cottages, Low Westwood, Milkwell Burn.
WESTGARTH: Co Durham; Bishop Auckland

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 October 10 12:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Hephzibah, for identifying which non-conformist church Ann Elizabeth Ling was baptised in.   Wasn't able to find out myself from records I have access to.

Annette

(Hephzibah - look forward to seeing you again at the Suffolk meet-up on 13th November)
London -  Monk