Author Topic: Marriage lookup - Fonthill Gifford 1830  (Read 3535 times)

Offline Riddlebrick

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Marriage lookup - Fonthill Gifford 1830
« on: Monday 18 October 10 13:12 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am hoping that someone who has access to the paris registers for Fonthill Gifford might look up a marriage for William Burt and Harriett True, they were married on 14 Jul 1830.

What I am trying to determine is whether she was a Spinster at the time of marriage.

If you are able to obatin this information I woud be most grateful.

Regards

Emma
Norfolk – Girdlestone
Durham & North Yorkshire – Stevens, Mordecai, Collingwood, Christopher, Taylor, Henderson, Grewcock, Charlton
Northumberland – Small, Swanston, Gilchrist
London – Genesis, Biggs
Wiltshire & Staffordshire – Stevens, Burt, Taylor, Maskell, James, Green, Onions
Scotland – Bertie, Henderson, Skene, Allison, Peacock

Offline vazzycat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage lookup - Fonthill Gifford 1830
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 February 11 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Emma

You may already have solved this one as you posted months ago, but here we go anyway!

The PR transcriptions confirm:-
- William BURT wed Harriet TRUE at Fonthill Gifford 14 Jul 1830. He aged 23 (no status given) and she aged 29 and...a widow!

The only FG marriage for a Harriet to a TRUE is:-
- 05 Oct 1818 James TRUE aged 21 marries Harriet VINCENT aged 18 (incidentally on the same day Phillip TRUE aged 25 marries Mary TARGETT aged 20)

Children of the union of Harriet & James are:-
-21 Mar 1819 TRUE Maria d of James & Harriet Lab
-01 Oct 1820 TRUE Elizabeth ditto

Burial:-
- James TRUE 1823 (sorry forgot to get date - let me know if you'd like it)

Child of a naughty Harriet
-23 Jul 1826 TRUE Sophia BBD of Harriett

Baptism:-
- 04 May 1800 VINCENT Harriot - This is a problem. It is entered on the transcript with a note "BT Only" which I confirm as I checked the PR fiche and there are about 6 months missing. No gap - just not entered. So I checked the BTs and - Nada. The same few are not where they should be. The transcribers must have found the info somewhere on the BT's, but as for where who knows! At any rate, none of the baps on the BTs state who the parents were so it wouldn't really help!

Regarding James TRUE, you have two bn 1797:-
-11 Jun to John & Maria (BT=TREW)
-17 Sep to Sarah (doesn't state BB but no male entered)

Hope this is of some use  ::)

Cheers 
Vaz    :)

BRIDGES - Norfolk, Liverpool/Conwy
FLETCHER - Salford/Wavertree
ATHERTON - Gorleston-on-Sea

Offline Riddlebrick

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 February 11 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Vaz

I had completely forgotten about this thread.  This is fantastic, I had suspicion that she was a Harriet Vincent not a True   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

This info is great, thank you ever so much.
 :D

Kind Regards

Emma
Norfolk – Girdlestone
Durham & North Yorkshire – Stevens, Mordecai, Collingwood, Christopher, Taylor, Henderson, Grewcock, Charlton
London – Genesis, Biggs
Wiltshire & Staffordshire – Stevens, Burt, Taylor, Maskell, James, Green, Onions

Offline Shaftesbury

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 March 11 01:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have done a large amount of work on the Vincents of Fonthill Gifford and can also confirm that Harriet True who married William Burt was originally Harriet Vincent. Harriet is my x 5 great grandmother through her marriage to her first husband James True who was buried 19/10/1823 aged 26.

Harriet was born about 1800/1801 according to the census records, marriage and her burial in 1889 when she was aged 87. As the poster above says the bishop transcripts states, this links with the record in the bishops transcript on 4th May 1800 of a baptism of a Harriet Vincent. I believe that this links to the baptism in the parish register on the very same day of 'Charlotte daughter of James and Susannah Vincent'. This is too much of a coincidence and is the only baptism that fits.

I have then done the Vincent lines back a few generations and the line of Susannah Macey who married James Vincent in 1797.

Cheers

Offline Shaftesbury

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 March 11 02:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

Apologies. This post forced me to go back and re-examine my evidence and I now realise that I did get the wrong lineage.

Harriet was almost certainly not that Charlotee who was baptied in 1799 but was in fact the first daughter of the marriage of William Vincent and Ann Gilbert at Gifford in January 1800. Harriet was then baptised in May 1800 and the reason why this can be safely assumed to be Harriet's parents is because Harriet used almost all the same names for many of her children with James Trew and William Burt as did William and Ann Vincent - eg Sophia, Priscilla, Ann, Elizabeth and Jane. Almost certainly more than a coincidence and without further proof the best evidence to go on..

Mark

Offline Shaftesbury

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 June 11 00:01 BST (UK) »
Evidence now found. 1863 will of William Vincent, gardener, of Salisbury and formerly of Fonthill Gifford refers to his daughter Harriet and three sons and other daughters.

Going to transcribe the will and post on my website.

Offline Riddlebrick

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 June 11 00:11 BST (UK) »
Mark

Harriet is my 4th great grandmother, so hello cousin  :o ;D

Emma
Norfolk – Girdlestone
London – Genesis, Biggs

Offline Shaftesbury

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 June 11 21:30 BST (UK) »
Hi coz,

Harriet is my gurt x 5 grandmother through her daugher Sarah who married George Burt in Fotnhill Gifford in 1841.

The brilliant thing that I have just discovered is that I now live in a part of Salisbury that overlooks where William Vincent died in 1863, when he was staying with his son George. And between 1989 and 1992 I was living in Brown St in Salisbury which is just round the corner from St Anne Street where he died.

I also once stood for an election in Fonthill, before I even knew that I had Vincent ancestors from the area.

You've gotta love family history.

Mark

Offline Kendalls gran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 March 12 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi every one. I'm new to RootsChat so please be gentle with me.  I'm looking for information on Kate Burt - father Henry-  mother Maria Mould, and her family from Fonthill Gifford.  I see there has been some chat already.  Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks Chris