Author Topic: LDS Indexing Volunteers  (Read 2008 times)

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LDS Indexing Volunteers
« on: Thursday 21 October 10 02:50 BST (UK) »
Hello :)

The LDS Site are looking for volunteers to transcribe records. Here's an extract from their indexing page:

YOU CAN HELP. No special skills or fixed time commitments are required. Volunteer when you can. Just register, sign in, and follow a simple process:
1.Select a “batch” of records to download to your computer.
2.Enter the requested information (names, dates, events, etc.) in the corresponding spaces.
3.Submit your completed index to the online system.

http://indexing.familysearch.org/newuser/nuhome.jsf?3.7.7

Offline BevL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LDS Indexing Volunteers
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 October 10 04:51 BST (UK) »
Is there some way you can request a certain country.   I am sure that if you were able to get the country of your birth, it would make it much easier to interpret the writing on these forms.
Kind regards
Bev
MOORE (Kent) & FRENCH (Sussex) & Western Australia, LOVE (Kent), ROPER 1810 (N Ireland). ADAM 1808 (Paisley), Scotland, Victoria & West Aust, TROTTER 1700's onwards  Northern Ireland, Scotland & Aust, FLAHERTY 1791/2 (Ireland) CHAPMAN (Kent) &  Western Australia, CARROLL & POWER. Ireland & Western  Australia, FISHER  Lancashire & Western Australia, FIDLER Denton, Lancashire, Victoria, MARSH Essex & Western Australia, COOPER - Southwark, London, Victoria
All to the lucky country.

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
Re: LDS Indexing Volunteers
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 October 10 06:05 BST (UK) »
There are different levels of transcribing "experience" - beginners, intermediate, and advanced, and within those levels there are selections of various countries/languages you might want to work on.  Obviously, LDS prioritises them - and there can be a lot of USA census etc., but again, there are always choices, and if something proves too difficult, you can return that particular batch - no problems.

My sister and I started volunteer transcribing just a couple of months ago - after a visit to a very helpful local LDS Family Search centre... 

Great fun to do, if you are at all interested in Genealogy - and so convenient, you can do them at any pace/time that suits you.

I recommend it!!  And my sister is even more addicted than me!
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.