Author Topic: Thoams Henry KEAN - Blackall  (Read 3439 times)

Offline SkellyH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thoams Henry KEAN - Blackall
« on: Friday 22 October 10 12:10 BST (UK) »
Have posted here before with this request, but have additional information.

Have received marriage certificate for my great grandfather Thomas Henry KEAN and lists birth place as Blackall, but I can not find a birth record on QLD BDM.  26 when he got married in 1905, so born c1879.

Lists mother's name as Mary Jane Kean, but no father listed.  Can not find any record of Mary Jane Kean either.  Have found some possible births, marriages, etc, but dates don't correspond.

Any help with birth records???

Michelle

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thoams Henry KEAN - Blackall
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 October 10 16:29 BST (UK) »

I wonder if this might a later child to the same woman -
Jane Kean b. 1881 mother Mary Kean, no fathers name   1881/C165

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 October 10 16:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Michelle,

You may have already found this little group.  I don't know if they are related to your Thomas or if they are someone else's headache!!

Births
Queensland (Country area)

Jane KEAN
Mother: Mary KEAN

Jane MANINS 

Jane BLACKMAN
Father: George

Annie BLACKMAN

Georgina BLACKMAN
Mother: Mary KEANE
(died 1885)

Ellen Keane KEANE

Ellen Keane BLACKMAN

Marriage

George BLACKMAN
Mary MANNIUS

I cannot see any children to a George and a Mary with this surname.  As it is so like one of the surnames that Jane was registered under I think it might be their marriage.  I wonder if this Mary was a widow and hence the two surnames?  The reason the last birth (Ellen) was registered under two names may have been because George had died two years previously:

Death (Queensland Country)

George BLACKMAN

There is a death in 1934 for a Mary Jane BLACKMAN, but I think that is an error and should be Mary Jane BLACKBURN.  Her father's surname is LLOYD and there is a marriage that corresponds.

There are possible marriages for Jane and Annie under the surname BLACKMAN, but I can't see Ellen.  There is a tree on Ancestry for Jane Cecilia BLACKMAN with mother Mary MANNIUS, and they have Jane as being born in Blackall.  I suggest you contact them to at least find out what Jane's birth cert says regarding the different surnames, and previous issue.  It is possible that your Thomas thought he was born in Blackall, but arrived as a baby or was born onboard a ship.

Debra  :)

Offline Ruth Linde

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 April 16 09:13 BST (UK) »
I am researching the Blackman family and have some death, birth, marriage certificates relating to this I think.
George Blackman married Mary Mannins (formerly Kean) at Blackall on 18 May 1882, A58147.  This certificate lists their parents as Charles Blackman and Eliza Pratt and Robert Kean and Mary Cory.  I think Mary Cory could have been Currie.  George died in Clermont Qld hospital on 10.06.1884 and was buried in Clermont.
I have certificates for the birth of Georgina 29.10.1884 (death 16.11.1885), Annie 9.01.1883 and Jane 17.08.1881.  There was a further girl, Ellen Keane, born on 14.07.1886 Windsor Road, Red Hill, Brisbane.  No father is listed on this certificate. 
On George's Death Certificate 2 sons are listed as Thomas and Robert but they are not listed on any of the girl's birth certificates.  At the age of 74 Mary married Thomas Naughton (70) in Rockhampton and her death occurred in Rockhampton on 15.08.1931.  The death certificate 58897 only lists 2 marriages, 1. Harry Blackman 2. Thomas Naughton.  There was a son, Michael Naughton.  All certificates list Mary's fathers name as Robert Kean.