Author Topic: Alice Brady Emmigration Help  (Read 3158 times)

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alice Brady Emmigration Help
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 October 10 20:31 BST (UK) »
Perhaps this is your guy?

WWI Draft Registration Card  5 Jun. 1917
Thomas Sylvester Brady
Davenport St., New Rochelle, New York
Born 30 Sept. 1893 in Ruan, Co. Clare, Ireland, Great Britain
Declared intention for naturalization
Occupation - houseman
Employer - Mrs. Delancey Kaye
Where employed?  Davenport Man.(?)
Single, caucasian, no prior military service
Medium height, slender build, blue eyes, dark hair, not bald, no disabilities

Offline Franlynch

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 23 October 10 20:36 BST (UK) »
I really don't know but there's someone I can check with so I will revert ASAP - thank you.

Offline Franlynch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 October 10 20:49 BST (UK) »
I am sure that the Thomas Sylvester Brady is definitely my man, which is a fabulous start to tracking him,

detained until Annie's cousin/John's sister Mara or Nara Ryan

John only had 2 sisters, Rose Brady who remained in Ireland and was my grandmother, I have her sorted in the Family Tree and also a sister Alice, who i can't track.

I wasn't aware of any Ryan connection but there is a cousin of John's, a  Roseanne Brady (birth dates unknown) (the daughter of his uncle) who travelled to US also - again dates unknown.  but as for a ryan connection i am not sure.

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 October 10 20:55 BST (UK) »
I think I found Alice's passenger list.

SS Adriatic from Queenstown 4 Oct. 1912 to New York 13 Oct. 1912
Brady, Alice, age 24, female, single, servant, last permanent residence - Ennis, Ireland, nearest relative in country from whence she came - father John Brady, Ruan, Ennis, Co. Clare, final destination - New York, NY, never in US before, going to join cousin Miss R. Stanton, 111 West 128th Street, New York, 5'4" tall, pale complexion, brown hair, blue eyes, born Ralliniole (?), Ireland.

She appears to be traveling with cousin Bridget Stanton, age 26, who was born in the same place and going to the same location.  Bridget's father was John Stanton living in Co. Mayo.  Alice & Bridget both have manifest markings indicating that they later sought naturalization.

Offline Franlynch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 October 10 21:02 BST (UK) »
Oh wow, yes, that's her.  I will have to check now to find out who the stauntons were - i can trace that here, hopefully, i'll ask relations first if they have heard of them.  like i say, the only other one that i have a record of going to US was a roseanne (and that's only a note on a printed family tree that i got from a relative, no proof as of yet), thanks for finding alice though.

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 October 10 21:04 BST (UK) »
1920 Census, New Rochelle, New York, 115 Davenport Neck (there's a notation on the side that looks like Mrs. D.L.?)
Brady, Thos., servant, male, white, age 25, single, immigrated 1914, naturalized in 1918, b. Ireland, parents b. Ireland, occupation - servant for private family

He is in a dwelling with 4 female servants.  It's unclear who they were servants for, so perhaps the boss was out of town on the census day?

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 23 October 10 21:19 BST (UK) »
Looks like Col. De Lancey Kane may have been the husband of the woman that employed Thomas:  http://www.rootschat.com/links/0a61/  The reference to Davenport Neck seems to match.

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 23 October 10 21:32 BST (UK) »
Thomas Sylvester Brady shows up on an index of naturalization records here:  http://www.westchestergov.com/wcarchives/default.htm  If you click on Online Resources, then Online Indexes, then Personal Name Indexes, then Naturalization Records, 1808-1927, you can find him under B.  Unfortunately, the actual record is not online.

Offline Franlynch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 23 October 10 22:05 BST (UK) »
Ralliniole - I feel this is ballinrobe - it's the only town I can think of in Mayo that possibly could have been transcribed incorrectly, I am tracking through the census now and have found a john Stanton, from a different townland, married to an ellen with a daughter matching for bridget - we assumed our great aunt ellen went to uk but maybe not???