Author Topic: The Pitchford Family - Green End, Presteigne  (Read 10042 times)

Offline Helyg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Pitchford Family - Green End, Presteigne
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 December 10 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mimthemuz,
Thank you very much. This is clearly the same Edith! I remember visiting Green End as a child and I returned last year, hoping to jog my memory. I couldn't remember which house it was and I am not sure exactly who lived there when I was a child. I believe that it could have been Edith and her brother Ernie. I am also wondering if their parents lived at Green End and they might have inherited the house. I have another address for the Pitchford family, again in Hereford Street, but down the other end and I couldn't find the house so I wondered if the house might have been knocked down? Any information you can give me will be gratefully received! Helyg

Offline mimthemuz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 09 January 11 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I am taking so long finding any information for you ..... I haven't forgotten! I will be in touch :)

Offline Helyg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 26 January 11 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mimthemuz,
Thanks for continuing to take an interest in my quest for information on the Pitchfords and Green End/Hereford Street. I would be very grateful for anything at all that you can find out. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks again!

Offline mimthemuz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 04 February 11 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have spoken to my father today and he remembers where Edith and Ernie lived but not much else Im afraid.
There are 3 properties on the right hand side of Green End.  As you go up the road from the main high street, its the 2nd house on the right.  My grandparents lived at no. 4 which is the 3rd property (this house has 2 front doors!) and were next door to Edith.
He thinks that after Ernie died she moved to Hereford St.  Again as you go from the High Street its 2 doors past the HSBC bank on the left hand side.
I only went to see her a couple of times at this house and I think it was to collect flowers to go on a grave.  Maybe Ernies? My grandmother used to do several graves for people around town.  My father thinks they are probably both buried at Presteigne cemetary which is just outside of the town on the road heading to Stapleton.  If you would like better directions just let me know.  Sorry its not more yet ..... I will discuss this again with my father and you never know ...  he might remember more next time!!

Offline Helyg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 February 11 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mim,
Thank you very much for your continued interest. I have photos of my Mum and grandmother in the cemetary that you mentioned --- and I have been there myself(2009). I found the grave of Edith and Ernie (buried together)! I failed to find the grave of my great grandmother - Emma Pitchford - because I had forgotten to take the photos with me! I plan to return soon because I live in South Wales, so it's not a very long journey. I have found out a little about the family, and you have helped me a great deal, but I am still curious about exactly who lived in Green End. I believe that it was probably the batchelor Ernie and his sister Edith. I would really like to know if their parents - my great grandparents lived there before (or at one time with) them? I visited the house in Hereford Street as a child. Edith lived there. I stood outside it again in 2009 -- very frustrating! I walked down Hereford Street (away from the town) in order to find addresses that come up in census documents. There are two addresses where the Pitchfords lived --- but the old terraced houses seem to have been demolished? Anything else that you can find out for me will be much appreciated. As you can tell - I have found out quite a lot, but it is niggling me regarding who lived in Green End exactly and whether the house was owned/rented by Ernie and Edith or whether their parents had moved there from one of the now demolished houses in Hereford Street. Thanks a lot for all your help  and interest. Best Wishes.