Author Topic: Thomas Street, Holyhead.  (Read 4806 times)

Offline Mr-Tomcat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Street, Holyhead.
« on: Sunday 24 October 10 12:32 BST (UK) »
Many years ago there used to be a sweet shop in Thomas Street, just before Hyfrydle Chapel, left hand side going up, the owner was my mothers grandmother and her surname was Owens.

Andrew.

Offline toad

• RootsChat Member
  • Martha Murray 1920-1990
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Street, Holyhead.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 April 11 14:33 BST (UK) »
I have been looking for some info on Thomas Street. I have recently learned that it used to be called "Pollicoffe's Hill" after the shop that was situated somewhere there run by the Jewish Pollicoffe family........still looking for a date though. According to my mother in laws writings from 30 odd years ago, her grandfather was William Davies and before that area became known as "Pollicoffe's Hill" it was called "Curly Jacks Hill" after her granddads nickname :o I believe the Davies family may have had a shop there, again I have no time line, but William (Curly Jack ) was born in Holyhead about 1861. Anyone out there have any ideas?
Millership Worcs Staffs   Creer Liverpool IOM  Fishwick Cheshire   Edwards Lancs Cheshire   Smith Cheshire  Murray Lancs  Fitzpatrick Down Ireland  Hewitt  Norfolk  Girdlestone Norfolk  Reilly Ireland Anglesey  Youd  Cheshire  Parker Cheshire  Linacre Cheshire  Higgins Ireland Anglesey   Dickson Lancs  Bohannan Lancs   Downey Gallway Ireland

Offline Mr-Tomcat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 April 11 19:52 BST (UK) »
Even today, Thomas Street is still called Pollicoffe Hill or at least  the bottom part is, after the shop you correctly say was owned by the Pollicoffe family, the shop later became Co-Op, and closed a number of years ago, before renovation and a change of use.

Andrew.  :)

Offline papercutter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 April 11 11:31 BST (UK) »
I remember Allt Policoff and some people still call it that  ;D

Offline brynmeister56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 August 23 18:15 BST (UK) »
My mother believed that Curly Jack Hill was so named after a relative of John Jones (an ancestor of mine) who owned a shop in Birmingham House, which was located on the corner opposite Poliakoff's at the bottom of Thomas Street.

Offline toad

• RootsChat Member
  • Martha Murray 1920-1990
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 August 23 19:51 BST (UK) »
I wonder if you and my hubby are distant relatives then. Long time since I have been on here and it’s nice to see replies are still popping up. I can’t remember the line of his JONES family now I will have to look on the family tree ( old grey matter is failing!) Will post on here when I have found it. Thanks for the reply 🙂
Millership Worcs Staffs   Creer Liverpool IOM  Fishwick Cheshire   Edwards Lancs Cheshire   Smith Cheshire  Murray Lancs  Fitzpatrick Down Ireland  Hewitt  Norfolk  Girdlestone Norfolk  Reilly Ireland Anglesey  Youd  Cheshire  Parker Cheshire  Linacre Cheshire  Higgins Ireland Anglesey   Dickson Lancs  Bohannan Lancs   Downey Gallway Ireland

Offline brynmeister56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 August 23 13:30 BST (UK) »
Could be! I am on Ancestry.com and have done a DNA test which I have also added to My Living DNA site.