Author Topic: reverend robert lewers  (Read 12639 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: reverend robert lewers
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 06 January 11 09:30 GMT (UK) »
I am descended from a Rev Robert Lewers, my ggggrandfather through his daughter, Elizabeth Jane Lewers who married a Robert Jamieson.  I find that there may have been two Rev Roberts alive at same time.  Braddox church records apparently give their Robert a father called Samuel, and I have found a will of a Robert lewers, farmer of Annahui dated 1810 who lists a son, Rev Robert.  His other sons include a Ross Lewers and a Benjamin.  I am confused.

Rev. Robert Lewers was ordained Clontibret 10 June 1795 and died 29 Apr.1846.
"Rev Robert Lewers was the Clergyman who was ordained on 10thJune1795, son of Samuel Lewers of Castleblayney, Co. Monaghan."

Rev. Robert Lewers son, also called Robert, was ordained at Clontibret 30 Dec.1851 and resigned 20 Jan.1863, later invited to work as full-time agent of Teperance Assoc. (moved to Belfast as a minister without charge meaning not a specific church). Apr.1864 appointed to mission work in Queensland, Australia but was back in Carrickfergus Presbytery by 1867.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 January 11 10:07 GMT (UK) »
aghadowy,
I'd seen several other items about the younger Rev Robert's career but nothing to associate him with the elder Rev Robert.
Thanks for the clarification.

regards

Offline martink

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 January 11 13:57 GMT (UK) »
to bartonaj,
thanks for reply alan.
firstly, i made a mistake ;  Edward and Eliza Jane Jamieson were my great grandparents, not GG Grandparents.  I have a picture of Edward which came from a cousin, Walter Hamilton in Vancouver Island BC.  I also have a picture of Eliza Jane from whom of course you are not descended. 
Your mention of Frances Elizabeth brings back many memories of her as my grandmother, Alice Ada Killey/Stockwell (Ada) and Frances Elizabeth Price/Stockwell (Cissie) lived near to each other in Liverpool and as children we visited them each week.  They were both great characters and were usually to be found together arguing with each other.
Edward came originally from Devises or a village close by possibly, Seend.  My family story has it that Eliza Jane wanted to marry a catholic man in ireland but that the strictly presbyterian family reaction was so violent that she emigrated to england where she found a job as a waitress in the assembly rooms in bath.  There she met the dazzling sergeant lancer edward and she accompanied him on his travels having children in different places.
Eliza Jane's father was a farmer at Cornosoo in co monaghan called robert jamieson and her mother, elizabeth lewers, the daughter of a presbyterian minister, The rev robert lewers.  It now appears that there may have been two rev roberts alive at the same time.  I must see if i have any clues to which was my ancestor.
Sorry if much of the latter is not relevant to your stockwell interest.  Norman

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 January 11 14:05 GMT (UK) »
There were 2 Rev. Robert Lewers, father and son, as I explained earlier- from Eliza Jane's age you show be able to figure out the correct one.

Offline bartonaj_1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 10 January 11 05:53 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Norman

Thanks heaps for the information.   Really lovely to hear your recollections of the Stockwells.   My great-grandfather Edward J died the same year my father was born, and not long after, my grandmother moved out of Liverpool.   Although she (I believe) remained in touch with at least some of the Stockwell clan, my Dad unfortunately has very limited memories of them.    So many questions I would like to have asked my grandmother...

Anyhow, by now I should be able to send you a PM so will try and give you a GEDCOM file of my STOCKWELL tree and the photo of Edward J.    I would absolutely love to see the photos of Edward and Eliza Jane if you have these available (I'm sure my father would too).

Bye for now

Andy

Offline martink

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 14 January 11 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to everyone who has made suggestions so far but I now have a bag of jigsaw pieces and still two possible Reverend Robert Lewers as possible GGGgrandfathers.
Although I don't have the original sources, I am told that my GG grandmother was Elizabeth Jane Lewers, daughter of a Reverend Robert Lewers and that she was born in 1804, married Robert Jamieson of Cornasoo, had 7 children and died in 1841.  ( Robert remarried Sarah Breakey).
The Reverend Robert Lewers who's father was Samuel, and who was ordained in 1795 died in 1846 at the age of 72 ( Northern Standard 2nd May 1846 page 134). ie. This Robert would have been born about 1774 and would have been thirty years old at the time of Elizabeth Jane's birth.  He was the minister for Legnacreeve/Braddox presumably.

My second candidate is to be found in the will( in PRONI) of one wealthy farmer, Robert Lewers in 1810.  He appoints his son, the Reverend Robert Lewers to be his executor,  To spell out as far as possible the contents of the will bearing in mind the difficulty of reading the writing :  Robert, the testator is described as being of Anna---? in Clontibret. Hallmark suggested that this should read Annahale, but is that property not in Muckno ?  Be that as it may, the will mentions son John who is given Eisglasson, son Alexander, married in 1810 has already received his portion, grandson of a son Samuel who may have been deceased, half of the land of Auryhearn in Armagh.  a son Samuel (second of that name ?) given half of the land Drumiondra in Caven, a son Benjamin who is under 21 given the second half of Drumiondra, a son Ross given Annyuue (?) with a house thereon and half of Curryhrein in Arm--- ? (Auryhearn?) and the land of Carncadury ?.  Grandson Robert, the son of the Reverend Robert is given £10.  Four daughters, Margaret (Jellersder),Sarah, Mary (married to Joe, Elizabeth were all given cash as was His son the Reverend Robert given thirty pounds implying that Robert had already received some property corroborated below by property records. Cash bequests to various heirs range up to £300 and there is no doubt this is a wealthy family.  Mention is made of the landowner of some of the lands, namely Edward Lucas owner of the Castlehane estate.  Robert makes provision for his "dearly beloved wife) but doesn't mention her name.  From an extensive genealogy, the descendents of Robert Ross however which includes Robert's family it is clear that his wife's name was Margaret Ross.
In another document dated 1825, Benjamin conveys his property in Caven to Ross.  Since this Reverend Robert had a son in 1810, he is clearly another possible father to Elizabeth Jane.  That he was also a landowner as I mentioned above is confirmed in the Tithe Applotments of 1829, under the land "Anneuby  No5 " where the Reverend Robert Lewers is shown to possess land of 20 acres 3 rods 10 poles.  Next to him, his brother, Ross owns
26 acres 3 rods 15 poles. This Anneuby could have been Annahuby in Clontibret as in the later Griffiths valuation a Robert Lewers is shown as leasing the land and buildings from the R.H.Edward Lucas. A Robert Lewers (same?) also ownes some of the adjacent Dromore from the same landowner.  Ross now farms at Corlongford in the Parish of Tullycorbet leased from Lord
Cremorne,
It would seem quite likely that all the Lewers families around Ballybay and Castleblaney in Monaghan were closely related but whether all the jigsaw pieces could now be reassembled is problematic.
Just to add a little extra piece, my eye was caught by the name "Lewers Street" in Honolulu when I was there in December, and on investigation I learnt that one Christopher Hamilton Lewers, a cabinet maker arrived there in 1850 in search of an elder brother, Samuel who had gone missing in the Pacific. C.H.Lewers started a big building materials company, now called Lewers and Cooke.  Samuel turned up but played no part in the fortunes of the company.  A younger cousin, Robert Lewers came and later ran the company which was described to me by a Hawaiin as one of the "Big Five".  From 1863 to 1880 a Joshua G. Dickson was partner, then owner of the company.  Didn't a Matilda Jane Lewers, daughter of Ross Lewers marry a David Dickson in 1851.  I have a copy of a small book published about the company history in Hawaii, but describe C.H.Lewers as coming from Dublin.  In fact his father was Robert Lewers of Castleblaney, Monaghan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 15 January 11 11:55 GMT (UK) »
From PRONI Wills-
"The Will of Ross Lewers formerly of Portadown County Armagh and of Anaube County Monaghan and late of Holywood County Down Retired Farmer deceased who died 23 October 1877 at Holywood aforesaid was proved at Belfast by the oath of Margaret Richey of Holywood County Down Widow the sole Executrix." Mentions son Ross Lewers (Nevada, U.S.), daughter Margaret Richey (Holywood, Co.Down), daughter Matilda Jane Dickson (New York), children of deceased daughter Eliza Berry.

"The Will of Alexander Lewers late of Drum in the County of Monaghan Farmer deceased who died 30 September 1860 at Drum aforesaid was proved at Armagh by the oaths of Margaret Jane Breakey Widow and William Alexander Breakey Shopkeeper both of Ballybay in said County the Executors." Mentions daughter Marget Jane Breakey, son John Wallace Lewers... headstone in Drumsbords? Graveyard...

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 15 January 11 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Drumsbords? Graveyard  would be Drumswords.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline reneemcaz

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 03:09 BST (UK) »
I  have a Robert Lewers from County Monaghan that I'm looking for.  According to his obituary he was born on 12/12/1834 in Castleblayney, Monaghan, Ireland to a family of four children.   It states he came to America in 1852, married Elizabeth Morrow and came to Iowa in 1875 and remained there farming until he died in 1912.  We have a letter dated dated 1860 from a Presbyterian Minister, Thomas Boyd, Castleblayney, that testifies to Robert's character and that he was brought up in his congregation.  (I believe this was the Presbyterian church in Lakeview.)

His obituary also said he was survived by a sister, Sarah McCrum of Castleblayney, Ireland born about 1836.  I have a letter from an Aunt Sarah McCrum to Robert's daughter Sarah written in 1912 from Lakeview, Castleblayney.  I also have a copy of another letter to Sarah in 1898 from an Aunt E. J. Mills of Tullyvalen, Newtonhamilton, Armagh.  (I found an Eliza Jane Mills in 1901 living in Newtonhamilton born around 1831 and think this might be her.)

Would love to know if any of your Lewers could be related to him.

Regards,
Renee