Author Topic: reverend robert lewers  (Read 12639 times)

Offline martink

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
reverend robert lewers
« on: Wednesday 27 October 10 04:10 BST (UK) »
I am descended from a Rev Robert Lewers, my ggggrandfather through his daughter, Elizabeth Jane Lewers who married a Robert Jamieson.  I find that there may have been two Rev Roberts alive at same time.  Braddox church records apparently give their Robert a father called Samuel, and I have found a will of a Robert lewers, farmer of Annahui dated 1810 who lists a son, Rev Robert.  His other sons include a Ross Lewers and a Benjamin.  I am confused.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: reverend robert lewers
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 20:10 BST (UK) »
Where did you get the Braddox records from?

1856   Anne Lowey dau, James Lowey, Cavan, Clontibret  married Rev.Robert Lewers son, Robert Lewers, Corlongford, Tullycorbet witnesses were David Lewers  + Susann Lewers

ANNAHALE (not Annahui) Margaret d/o Ross Lewers married Rev. Geo Richey in 1847, her sister Matilda Jane married a Dickson in 1851
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 20:24 BST (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline martink

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 October 10 01:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you hallmark and aghadowey.   My Broddox  information came from the thread mentioned by aghadowey :
Robert and Sara McCrum Lewers family and the inscription within the church to the Rev Robert dated 1809 which is on the web.  The name Annahui rather than Annahale was from the virtually illegible will of the farmer Robert Lewers dated 1810 and which was so transcribed by PRONI.
At this moment am in Vancouver away from my notes but return in December

Offline bartonaj_1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 January 11 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Martink

Very interested to read your post as it has opened up a curious avenue for me.

My great-great-grandfather Edward Stockwell married one Eliza Jane Jamieson of Ballybay, Co. Monaghan on 18 Aug 1867 in Liverpool, Lancashire.   Eliza Jane was born on 4 Feb 1838 and was listed as living on Main Street Ballybay on the 1861 Griffith's evaluation of Ireland.

I didn't see much of a link to your family until I noted that Edward and Eliza chose the middle name of 'Lewers' for their second son, Edgar Lewers Stockwell.   I had always though it an odd choice and thus my search for this brought me to your post.

Would love to know whether my Eliza Jane is the same Elizabeth Jane you refer to who married Robert Jamieson.   I don't know if Eliza Jane was married before marrying Edward as I haven't seen their marriage certificate.

Looking forward to hearing from you

Andy Barton
Wellington, New Zealand

Offline martink

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 18:10 GMT (UK) »
hi bartonaj,
yes, my GGGrandparents were Edward Stockwell and Eliza Jane Jamieson.  Edward was previously married to a miss White by whom he had two children, but by Eliza Jane he had eight children of whom Alice Ada Stockwell, born17/11 /1874 was my grandmother.  She married James Philip Killey in Liverpool and her grandson, Norman Martin Killey (me) was born in 1939.  I suppose we are second cousins but I cannot see how you fit on the tree.
Edward was a sergeant saddler/fettler in the 9th lancers for a while and two of his sons, William Samuel( a professional soldier) and Arther Ernest ( a Liverpool barber) were killed in the first world war.  Some months ago I called into the Liverpool town hall to see their names on the roll of honour.
I think Edgar Lewers Stockwell was a postman following his eldest brother.
I have so much information most of which I gathered 30 years ago it might be better if we communicated directly via
(*)
Kind regards norman killey

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline bartonaj_1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Norman

Really lovely to hear from you and to find another Stockwell relative out there!!

Like you, have accumulated a fair amount of information on the Stockwells and will think of the best way to get this to you (a GEDCOM file?).

My part of the tree is via Edward's first marriage:

As you point out, Edward married Mary Jane White in 1861 in Bicester.   They had two children:   Edward Joseph (1863-1938) and Frances Elizabeth (1864-1957), before Mary Jane died in Dublin in 1866.

Edward Joseph was my great-grandfather (my father is named after him) - he married Ellen Wilcock at St Peter's Church in Liverpool on 2 Dec 1888 and had the following children (apologies if you already know all this):

Martha Frances (1889-1890)
Walter (1890-1963)
Joseph William (1892-1894)
Ellen (1894-1906)
Elizabeth (1897-after 1961)
William Joseph (1898-1899)
Joe (1900-1976)
Henrietta (1903-1987)
Martha Ellen (1907-1995).

Martha Ellen, their youngest daughter, was my paternal grandmother.

I do have your grandmother Ada on my tree with husband James Philip, but didn't have any children listed, so great to see that line continue!!

Anyhow, the site appears to have removed your email address from your post so I'll try given you mine and see how we go...

(*)

If this doesn't work I'll see about sending you a private message on here.    As well as my tree I have a photo of Edward Joseph (not a very good one) which you may like.

Take care and hope to hear from you soon.

Andy

(*) Moderator Comment: Sorry but this policy applies to everyone- e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline bartonaj_1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Apologies, just realised that I do have two children listed for Alice Adelaide and James Philip:  James Herbert (1904) and John Edward (1907).   Were there more children from this marriage?

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 January 11 02:49 GMT (UK) »
martink,
There were two Rev Robert Lewers

Freeman's Journal - Saturday Nov 19, 1853
DEATHS - November 9 at Clonibret, County Monaghan, aged 89 years, Isabella, relict of the Rev Robert Lewers

Belfast News Letter - Wednesday September 16, 1863
BESSBROOK TOTAL ABSTINENCE SOCIETY - ....... introduced to the meeting the Rev Robert Lewers, agent of the Presbyterian Association. Mr Lewers who is getting quite a reputation in this neighbourhood, delivered a most convincing and argumentative address .....

Which might be your Rev Robert?

There's also a report of a wedding in Australia (Woollabra?) conducted by the Rev Robert Lewers, Sydney.
regards