Author Topic: Jervis Forrester, Hope and Anchor pub  (Read 16764 times)

Offline Martin Feledj

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jervis Forrester, Hope and Anchor pub
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 09 January 20 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Here is a test - This stone is directly in front of Emanuel FORRESTER's.

Made out to Edward FORRESTER and his wife Elizabeth
Edward died 18th August 1851 ( it is 1851 not 1831 ) aged 47.

Does he fit on our tree ?

Offline jacksmelad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 15 August 20 21:07 BST (UK) »
An old thread but still of great interest ! Interesting to see Edward Forresters Grave, I couldn't see a baptism record. There is an inquest related to his death on the 18 Aug 1851  Staffordshire Advertiser - Saturday 23 August 1851"Awful Calamity at Ubberley Colliery 7 lives lost"

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/viewer/bl/0000252/18510823/067/0007

It would still be good to find more to substantiate the Scottish lineage theory based on Clive Forresters grandfathers family tree. Just wondering if many Forresters have done a DNA test to see if this helps?

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 15 August 20 21:10 BST (UK) »
I very much doubt the tree showing the link to Scotland is correct.
There are other foresters in the stoke area going back further. Some Jervis foresters too. An uncommon name that I’d imagine only a relative would have.
Langley, Broughton, Taylor, Broad, Cooper, Owen, Bennion, Yorke, Knox, Norcup, Holland, Brookes, White, Davies, Huntbach, Bowler, Barnett.

Offline Martin Feledj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 16 August 20 10:50 BST (UK) »
Greetings fellow Forrester researchers.

Thanks for the link to the Colliery disaster - it just so happens that I have one free "look" to use so I have just downloaded the PDF from their site.

Forresters were "BIG" into coal -

Emanuel FORRESTER born 1797 was a Coal Master and operated a number of Pits in South Staffordshire.

Also The Staffordshire tithe maps have just been loaded onto Past Track so the Bucknall map and associated search index is totally great for locating Forrester properties in the mid 1850's.

https://www.search.staffspasttrack.org.uk/Details.aspx?&ResourceID=42601&PageIndex=14&KeyWord=tithe&SortOrder=2

https://www.staffsnameindexes.org.uk/default.aspx?Index=P&OwnerLN=&PartOW=1&OwnerFN=&OccupierLN=&PartOC=1&OccupierFN=&Town=bagnall&Parish=&Plot=&PlNo=

Although the Scottish link is fanciful - there is still a possibility that it is true. the 1745 Army did get up to some mischief in Bucknall and Bagnall before retreating back to Scotland. And why was Jarvis so interested in singing about Scottish songs. So I would not rule it out just yet.

PS I have worked out how to get the bigger maps too.

Offline Martin Feledj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 16 August 20 12:28 BST (UK) »
Such a sad article about the loss of the Colliers.

I am now fairly confident that Edward FORRESTER was one of the many Children of James FORRESTER born 1777.
There is just a space for him on my tree. Circled in yellow below.
This would make Edward a 4th Great Uncle of mine.

Interesting to read that the disaster took place on 18th August 1851 ( also noted on the gravestone ). The colliery owner and coal-master, Mr Ridgeway, sent a letter that very day to the secretary of state in London reporting the matter. The very next day Whitehall acknowledge receipt of that communication.

Now that is quick !!

Offline jacksmelad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 16 August 20 15:20 BST (UK) »
On the marriage register for Edward James and Alice are witnesses so I was thinking along the same lines for Edward.

Some examples of Forresters with Moorland connections-
  The wills, available on Find My Past, along with family names particularly Gervis lead me to think the  Forresters are historically from the Staffs Moorlands area . The will of Gervis Forrester 1745 mentions "lands hereditaments and properties in the parish of Kingsley" . This 1745 will names his wife as Ellen and children Ellen Stockley (married to Moses Stockley 1734),Mary Smith ,John and Gervis. At the time of death he is living at Stoke Hall. Interestingly there are possible corresponding baptisms at Cheddleton for the children of Gervis and Ellen Foster. I may be wrong but these fit well-
"Jhn" 1712 at Leek, then Cheddleton Ellin  1715,Mary 1717,Gervase 1719, James born 1721 and buried 1722. I think this has to be the same family.
Jarvis Foster marriage to Ellin Bagnall 1711 Kingsley.

John Forresters will of 1747 with wife Ann and sons John and Jervis mentions Freehold Estate in the parish of Kingsley and Cunshall? Cheddleton, possibly Consall?

Like Tom I descend from Emmanuel and his son Emmanuel. DNA matches on Ancestry have shown up a lot of matches back to John at Launders Bank. A general DNA search further back for Forresters in Staffordshire gives matches particularly for Kingsley Oakamoor and Alton but this is only a possibility.

As more DNA matches come along I feel pretty certain this is going to show Forresters historically living in the Staffs Moorlands but open minded to any new evidence.

Offline jacksmelad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 16 August 20 15:26 BST (UK) »
..and thanks for the tithe map link. I had seen this when it came out on the Genealogist website but no longer subscribe so great to have access to it again. Cheers

Offline Martin Feledj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 17 August 20 16:28 BST (UK) »
Most amazing is that Daniel JENKISON is a 7th Great Uncle of mine. He was a resident at Hollins - Greenhead, Blakeley  Lane in Kingsley and in 1741 sold some property to Jervase FORRESTER alias FORSTER a Yeoman from Stoke Upon Trent.

Oldfields and Thornburys Fields are mentioned in the document.

That is what I call an epic coincidence.

I must admit that I can't remember that will of Gervase/Jervase of 1745 But I am going to say it has to be the same person.
The will having been made 4 years after the land transaction.

I have got a tick next to it when I look at my "Find My Past" records But I have not got it saved anywhere. I may have to sign up for another month.

Offline jacksmelad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 17 August 20 17:16 BST (UK) »
That is some coincidence and very interesting to hear about. No doubt this is the same Jervis Forrester and interesting use of surname Forster.
 The change of name is reasonably common I think. Looking at the Alton/Oakamoor Forresters I recall use of Forest also being used interchangeably it seemed.

Part of the 1745 Will of Gervas Forester-
"...to be payable out of all my messuage or tenements commonly called the Thornburys Fields and all my lands hereditaments and premises.. situate being in the parish of Kingsley which lately purchased off from one Daniel Jenkinson to be paid to the said Ellen (wife) "

The Hollins was also mentioned in another will ,just need to check this.