Author Topic: Foley- Irvine in Enniskillen  (Read 5552 times)

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Foley- Irvine in Enniskillen
« on: Sunday 17 June 07 20:15 BST (UK) »
Ah yes...I do need help.
I am seeking two brothers..
.FREDERICK (Franklin?) FOLEY and WILLIAM  (Robert ?) FOLEY.

Years of treading the garden path has led me here.

They appear to be the sons of;
 JANE IRVINE (1845-1943) and WILLIAM (Walpole?) FOLEY (c1840- ??).
I believe William W Foley died in Ireland as,Jane was found coming to Canada..by herself and she did not appear in the USA at all.

Frederick F.Foley appears to have been born June 16 1863 ...in Ireland
his Can Attestation papers say June 16 1872...he he  (I think he told an untruth)
...BUT..it did say Enniskillen,Co Fermanaugh...this is the 1st time I have seen ref to where in Ireland they came from.

William R. Foley was born Apr 18 1864...in Ireland

These brothers show in Phil. Pa.USA ...circa1887
William R. Foley marr 1887.....Margaret Jervis
Frederick F. Foley marr 1898....Violetta Mayne
I have cert for both.

Maybe some kind soul will go over this posting and make suggestions on my next step and quest for where this family was located.
Many,many thanks in advance !!

IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Foley- Irvine in Enniskillen
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 November 09 05:03 GMT (UK) »
Ok..Here we go...In the 1901 Census of Enniskillen I have found a
Jane Foley age 56 ,a daughter,living with her Mother Margaret Irvine,Housekeeper age 84.
The address listed is  "STRAND"..Is Strand a street or a place in Enniskillen?
Jane Foley left Ireland from Liverpool Nov 1902 for America where she had 2 sons living.
I will assume her Mother  Margaret Irvine.possibly died before she left.
What are the chances of finding a death 1901+ in Enniskillen.
What are the chances of finding Jane Foley's husbandands death pre 1901,his name being William Foley.
I also fell the 2 sons Frederick Franklin Foley born June 1863 and William Robert Foley born Apr 1864 were both born in Enniskillen.
All suggestions and help very much appreciated..
Did the 1891 census for Enniskillen survive?..and..is it available??.
It appears these folks were Church of England.
Are there cemetery recordings for Enniskillen??
Are 1860s births and marriages  available??
Thanks in Advance!!!!!
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Foley- Irvine in Enniskillen
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 November 09 08:26 GMT (UK) »
Some of your questions will be easy to answer so I'll start with them.
There is a Strand Street in 1911 census (Enniskillen North District Enumeration District). There are Irvines there in 1911 but they are Catholic so might not be the family you are looking for.
1891 census for Ireland was destroyed.
Civil registration of births started 1864 so there will be no birth certificates before that date.
Civil registration of non-Catholic marriages began 1845.
Index to civil registration is online-
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails;t=searchable;c=1408347
Perhaps William Foley died somewhere besides Fermanagh as there is no death showing up in the index.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 November 09 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Only 1 death in civil index that looks likely for Margaret Irvine who was 84 in 1901-
Margaret IRVINE (age 86) death Oct/Dec 1902 Enniskillen registration district volume 2 page 47.
However, there is very little detail on Irish death certificates: name, age (in years), date and place, residence (if different from place of death), occupation, cause of death, name of informant. It will NOT list husband's name, birthdate or place, parents, children, place of burial.

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 November 09 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Aghadowey,  Thank you for your reply and answers.How sad so much was destroyed...
The death reg of Margaret Irvine fits with what I had.I can now see why Jane her daughter stayed in Ireland until her Mother passed away.Jane left Ire Via Liverpool in late Nov..so I am going to assume her Mom passed away in Oct or early Nov.
I did pay for the 1901 census of the both of them on Strand Street..it gives me that paper trail I like..
I see no reason to pay for  Margaret Irvines death cert in 1902,like you say,there will probably be no further info..like what we want such as parents names,birthdate,place etc..
I did pay for the 1901 census  forthe William and Ellen Foley in Corranarry,Mount Joy Forest East... but at this point see no connection.
I count myself luck..I have a picture of Jane (Irvine) Foley after she arrived in the Phila.Pa.USA,and then she came to the BC Canada and died in 1923.
    Now...Jane (Irvine ) Foley had 2 known boys..both possibly born in Enniskillen June 1863 and Apr 1864...where is the best site to apply for the 1864 cert..hoping he was registered?? Would both parents be on the cert?
     Again..many thanks for your very helpful info.
Keep warm and have a great week.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 November 09 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Index to civil registrations is online (free) and you can search for births (1864 onwards) there- link given earlier but here again- and then order a birth certificate.
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails;t=searchable;c=1408347

You can also check IGI as they have some, not all, Irish births 1864-c1882: www.familysearch.org

Offline belcoo2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 May 10 22:19 BST (UK) »
Does the name Signor Foli mean anything to you? He was an Irish opera singer (you'll get him on google) Anyway he had a brother (I don't know his first name) who was a young police officer stationed in Enniskillen. He fell in love with a young servant girl in the chief constable's household in Willoughby Place in Enniskillen and they were secretly married - as junior police officers were not allowed to marry. She went to live with a Mrs. Jones in Barrack Lane and there had two sons. They told the chief constable about their secret marriage and although he had great sympathy for them he could not change the law. He got the young officer a promotion - a job in Newfoundland. One day Mrs. Jones got a surprise - she saw officer Foley coming into the house and going up to Jane's room and after a while she went up but there was no sign of him and Jane hadn't seen him. Some time later word came that he had died of frost-bite but he had made a will and written a letter confirming that they had been married and these were witnessed and honoured by Signor Foli who had been with his brother when he died and Jane eventually went to America.
  This story was told in an Enniskillen newspaper in the 1930s as a ghost story b y an old man who generally told true stories (if any ghost story can be true) - stories about people who actually lived and whom he remembered from his early days. I'm compiling a selection of his stories at the moment and I'd love to know if any of this means rings a bell with you. He did not know Jane's maiden name, nor her husband's first name but all the other details seem correct. - Seamas Mac Annaidh (local historian, Fermanagh.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 May 10 22:28 BST (UK) »
Allan James Foley, opera singer, born 1837, so brother's secret marriage could have been before civil registration
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_James_Foley
http://indigo.ie/~callas1/ajfoli.htm

Doing a bit of Googling brings up partial obituary from New York Times which makes the story about brother a policeman in Enniskillen unlikely: "He was born in Cahir, Tipperary, Ireland, but came to the United States with his parents when a child. The family settled in Hartford, Conn."

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 May 10 15:04 BST (UK) »
Belcoo2....How interesting.
I have once heard the name Signor Foli mentioned.
But your interest has me interested...can you put aprox dates to any of your posted events.
If you read my earlier post ..you will see what I have for dates.
The Jane coming to America is interesting,as my Jane did.
She was a widow with 2 boys and the boys came much earlier.
A person in the family said that Signor Foli paid their passage,but I cannot see how that fits.
Please feel free to send me a private message....I will send you one as well