Author Topic: Uniora? Uinora? near Derrylin, Fermanagh??  (Read 6820 times)

Offline andarah

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Grandfather
    • View Profile
Uniora? Uinora? near Derrylin, Fermanagh??
« on: Tuesday 26 January 10 20:58 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find where in Ireland one of lines is from.  There is only one BMD event that fits the parameters of the pilot site, so I don't have a lot to look for.

I searched for a marriage for Francis Quinn 1865-1872.  I know that he was born abt 1847 and he married, as a widower, in 1873 in Glasgow.  I don't have him or his 2nd wife in Glasgow in 1871.  I think they came from Ireland together.

In the search for a Francis Quinn marriage, there were 27.  I then cross-referenced it with William Quinns in the Griffith's Valuations.  William is Francis's father.  I found a few possibilities.

There was a marriage registered at the Enniskillen Registry Office and another in Lisnaskea.  There were 2 William Quinns in Beleek in the valuations.

On the same page as one of the William Quinns was a Maguire.  William Quinn was married to a McGuire.  Since they were illiterate, I don't put any value on a person in Glasgow recording the spelling of McGuire on a document. 

On the page of the other William Quinn was a Gallagher, and that's a maiden name of another person who would be from the same place in Ireland.

I found a few other possibilities through the cross-referencing, but this is the most promising.

The names I am working with are Francis Quinn (1847), and his wife, Matilda Burns (1852).  Francis's parents: William Quinn (joiner) and Margaret McKenna.  Matilda's parents:  Thomas Burns (shoemaker), and Jane McGuire, Maguire.  I also have a Thomas Burns (1856) living with Francis and Quinn in 1881.  I bought his marriage cert and his parents are James Burns (shoemaker) and Elizabeth Gallagher.  I assume he is *probably* Matilda's cousin.

Any advice on what my next step should be to figure this out.  I know absolutely nothing from family and all I have gotten from the various documents and censuses are `Ireland'.  I do know that they were most likely Roman Catholic.

Thanks for looking!
Newfoundland:  George
Somerset, England: Slade, Thorne
Lancashire, England:  Reay, Hargrove,
Bute, Scotland:  McBride
Perth:  McCash
Lanarkshire: Love, King, Lyle
Aberdeen/Fossaway:  Duncan, Shepherd, Burns, Johnston
Co Antrim: Warwick
Coleraine, Co Derry:  Kane, McDade
Tyrella, Co Down:  Denvir, McKay, Murray
Fermanagh:  Quinn
Ireland:  McKenna, McGuire, Burns, Hogg, Bradley
Ann Tweedley/Quigley: ?

Offline kooky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Not sure of the next step
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Do you have Francis Quinn's marriage in Glasgow in 1873? Scottish marriage entries often give you parent details.
Do you have the death of his first wife? This was presumably in Ireland. Might give you a location.
Kooky
Clulo - Staffs.,Warwickshire, Lancs.1780 -1950
Fisher- Nafferton,Hull, Manchester.1770-1840-1950
Kane&McNeill,Forkhill, Armagh and Glasgow,Bray Dublin.1850s -1920
Boshell and Dowzard- Dublin, 1840s -1911
Kay/Bremner Edinburgh 1800 - 1841.Kay Staffs.& Lancs1842 -1901
Kay - Newcastle on Tyne 1780-1861
Swindell, Marple & Manchester 1900->
Makinson, M/c & Prestwich 1870 ->
Beacom/Jones - Enniskillen 1780 ->

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi  - I agree with Kooky.  It would be very helpful if you could get ahold of the Glasgow marriage certificate you mentioned.  I found out alot about my great-grandparents this way. They were also married in Glasgow.  My great-grandmother was a "Maguire" and besides the other information it supplied it also confirmed to me the spelling of her name. (She hailed from Co. Cavan)
All the best

Offline andarah

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 23:30 GMT (UK) »
I do have the marriage cert from Glasgow for 1873.  That's how I know he was a widower.  That's also how I know their parents' names.  However, I have no idea what the 1st wife's name was. 

On the marriage cert it has the mother's name as Jane McGuire, but since Francis and Matilda were both illiterate (I know because they both signed with an `x'), they wouldn't have known the spelling of their own names, but rather, simply the name itself.  I am making a huge assumption there, but it's because I don't want to discount possibilities, and I am keeping my options wide.

As for location on the marriage cert, all I have is their pre-wedding addresses in Glasgow.  I searched the locations in 1871 and I cannot find one of the addresses, while the other appears to be a stopping ground for new Irish immigrants.  It had over 150 people at the address in 1871, and 3/4 of them were from Ireland. 

I should add that I have also looked for deaths of all the parents, but there are simply too many options.  I have Mathilda Burns' death cert in Glasgow, but I cannot find Francis' cert.  I don't think it would say anything about Ireland anyway.

Every single family line that I have seemed to go out of their way to hide their origins.  I think they were the poorest of the poor and were very distrustful of any authority figure.

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi again -
I guess I have more than a few questions here..,  which include which line are you trying to follow ???

However, I would also ask did Francis & Matilda have any children in Glasgow? If they did, do you have a copy of any of the birth certificates - (helpful in order to confirm m.s.)

If you have the marriage certificate for this couple it should state where, when & how they married.  Assuming it was a church marriage this will indicate what denomination the church was and also give you the name of the Church.  In which case I would try and look at the Parish registers to see if any further information is recorded.  Also - who were the witnesses? May or may not be relevent but I think I would try and find them in the 1871 Census.

In looking for my Jane Maguire (yes she was also a Jane!) the common spelling for "Maguire" in Ireland does appear to be this way. You also mentioned the names in the Valuation records.  I really would be careful about searching the Irish records before you have more of a lead - there are so many, many people with the same name.  For example my Jane Maguire was from a place called Belturbet, Co. Cavan.  If you look on a map you will see it is not far from Enniskillen or Lisnaskea. The place is teaming with Maguire's! Just because there are other Maguires locally does not mean that these were your Jane Maguire/McGuire's people.

I think you are correct in not pursuing any death certificates for Francis because it will not record any information about his origins.
Best Wishes :)

Offline andarah

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Grandfather
    • View Profile
Uniora? Uinora? near Derrylin, Fermanagh??
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 September 10 19:35 BST (UK) »
I just receieved a marriage cert and the place of residence for the groom was Uinora or Uniora, or something similar.  Does this make sense to anyone?  I cannot find it on the internet.

The bride was in Cornahoule, which I have found.  I found some of her family in the GV in Cornhoule, Kinawnley, Fermanagh.

The marriage was in Glassmullagh RC Church 7 Nov 1866.

The couple was Francis Quin(n) (servant)and Jane Vaughan (servant).  Their fathers were William Quin(n) (farmer) and Christe Vaughan (collier).

Francis was my ggg grandfather, with his second wife whom he married in 1873 in Glasgow.

If anyone knows the townland or anything about this family, I would appreciate the information.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Uniora? Uinora? near Derrylin, Fermanagh??
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 September 10 19:43 BST (UK) »
Tullyoran ?
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andarah

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 September 10 19:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks, but no.  It's definitely a capital U.

If it cannot be figured out, I will ask my husband to scan it at work on tuesday and I'll post a pic.

Offline andarah

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 September 10 21:07 BST (UK) »
I found it!  Ummera.  It's spelled wrong (Umora/Umera), but that's it.