Author Topic: McBarron & Anderson  (Read 11364 times)

Offline maxene

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McBarron & Anderson
« on: Monday 24 March 08 07:03 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for any information on Hugh McBarron who was born in Ireland in C1810. He married Elizabeth Hurst in Irvinestown in 1830. I believe he was Catholic and she was C of E. He was a farmer and I have been told he died in Fermanagh in 1847. His widow (who was born in County Tyrone in C1804)and children emigrated to Australia. Any help, please. It is as if they never existed!! Maxene

Offline maxene

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
McBarron & Anderson
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 March 08 06:32 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to locate any relatives/descendants of Hugh McBarron and his wife Elizabeth Hurst who lived in Fermanagh in the early 1800s. I believe that Hugh McBarron was a farmer who died in 1847 in Fermanagh. Elizabeth and family migrated to Australia. I am also trying to locate any information about Thomas Anderson and his wife Ann Hume or Home who migrated to Fermanagh from Scotland about 1841. Their son, Thomas married Jane McBarron, daughter of Hugh and Elizabeth. I am a descendant, desperately trying to find any Irish connections &/or history. Can anyone help? Maxene

Offline maxene

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Death records
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 April 08 03:03 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if there is a record of births, deaths and marriages for Fermanagh? I am trying to find the deaths of the following people: Hugh McBarron, Thomas Anderson and his wife Ann Anderson (nee Home/Hume) Hugh died in 1847 (I think). Ann and Thomas Anderson migrated from Scotland in 1841 and lived in Fermanagh - they would have died sometime in the 1800s, after 1841. There must be some way I can find a record of these people's existence in Fermanagh...did they have Census in Ireland in the 1850s or 1860s. Any suggestions gratefully accepted. Maxene

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death records
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 April 08 08:38 BST (UK) »
Of course there are birth, marriage and death records for Ireland as well as census records.
Civil registration of births, deaths and Catholic marriages began in 1864 (from 1845 for other marriages). First complete census for all Ireland is 1901. A small portion of earlier census records survive for a few areas as well as some extracts from 1841 and 1851 census in Old Age Pension applications from early 1900s.
What church records survive depend entirely on their religion and whether the records for the individual church surive. Some churches, like Presbyterian, did not traditionally keep burial records and in some cases Church of Ireland burial registers did not always record Presbyterian burials in their churchyards.
Any idea what religion these people were and what their occupations might have been so we can suggest sources to look for in Fermanagh?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline maxene

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Death records
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 April 08 11:39 BST (UK) »
Both Hugh McBarron and Thomas Anderson were farmers. Hugh McBarron married Elizabeth Hurst in Irvinestown in 1830 - he was Catholic and Elizabeth was Church of England. There was some rumour that he was a successful farmer who went surety for a neighbour and lost all of his money and died quite poor in about 1847 in Fermanagh.
Thomas Anderson was Presbyterian. I would presume that Ann was also Presbyterian. Thank you for your help - I am stumped. Maxene

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh McBarron
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 May 08 17:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Maxene,

I had a look at Griffith's Valuation extracts on John Hayes failteromhat.com website and found no McBarron's in Co. Cork. The name appeared in the following counties ... Donegal, Fermanagh, Leitrim, Waterford. Have you any specific reason for posting on this board? Since Hugh married a woman from Co. Tyrone I'd think that he was more than likely born in Donegal, Fermanagh or Leitrim

Christopher

Offline maxene

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh McBarron
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 May 08 23:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Christopher. He WAS from Fermanagh; I am unsure how this query has ended up on the Co.Cork enquiry board. He lived in Fermanagh, their children were born in Irvinestown (I believe) and he died in Fermanagh in about 1843 or there abouts. I appreciate your efforts. Maxene

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: McBarron & Anderson
« Reply #7 on: Friday 31 October 08 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello Maxene,

Flax Growers of Ireland, 1796 - Co. Fermanagh
Curry Hurst, Magheracross. Fermanagh
Michael Hurst, Killesher. Fermanagh
Michael Hurst, Magheracross. Fermanagh
Ralph Hurst, Magheracross. Fermanagh
Thomas Hurst, Magheracross. Fermanagh
John M'Baron, Cleenish, Fermanagh

I've linked your Hugh McBarron thread to this one.
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=294354.new;topicseen#new

Christopher

Offline maxene

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: McBarron & Anderson
« Reply #8 on: Friday 31 October 08 20:46 GMT (UK) »
 :)Thanks Christopher. Is there any way that I can check if these Hursts and McBarons are from my family - or would that be too early for any reliable records? I appreciate your help and expertise, Maxene