Author Topic: Trying to find a birth record/family info  (Read 4672 times)

Offline OzJen

• RootsChat Member
  • I came from over the sea ...
    • View Profile
Trying to find a birth record/family info
« on: Sunday 31 October 10 05:39 GMT (UK) »
Dear All,

I am trying to find information about the birth of Sarah Ada GORDON, who was supposed to have been born (or baptised?) in April 1861 in Moyanna. I believe she could have been the second child of the family and that her parents may have been Robert GORDON and Elizabeth BRODIE. There is a family story that her father was a member of the Royal Irish Constabulary and there may be a connection through this occupation to Londonderry. She may have left Moyanna in 1878, perhaps after the death of her parents. :-\

As all this information is heresay and reported down the generations, I am reluctant to record it as fact without some sort of clear evidence.

I've tried searching all sorts of online references and am drawing a total blank. Can anyone out there help, please?  :D

Many thanks in advance,
OzJen
Bennett (Aspley Guise & Luton, Beds); Elijah Bambridge (Burslem, Staff); Thomas Carr-Parkhurst boy (Loughrea, Gal'y); Dowle (Romney Marshes, Kent + London); Duffy (Trim, Meath); Joseph Kaye (Mirfield, W.Yks); Leonard (Meath); Mary Mulfahy/Fahy-famine orphan (Nenagh, Tipp'y); Elizabeth Hoskin (Illogan, Cornw); Wm Henry Pearce (Tucking Mill, Cornw, Burra, S.Aust); Ruddell (Kilmore, Armagh); Shepherd (Elstree, Herts); John/Clarissa Short (Bodmin, Cornw); Benjmn Thomas RN 1820s; Wright (Ballylisk).

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find a birth record/family info
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 October 10 08:51 GMT (UK) »
LDS Pilot Site lists the marriage of Robert Gordon, age 27, son of Thomas Gordon, to Elizabeth Brodie, age 22, daughter of John Brodie, on 8 May 1857 Lackagh, Co. Kildare. The marriage is listed in civil registration index: 1857 Athy registration district volume 1 page 516- which means it was a non-Catholic ceremony (Protestant church or Registry Office) since registration of Catholic marriages began in 1864. The actual certificate will list their residences at the time of the marriage as well as Robert's occupation, place of marriage and names of 2 witnesses.

To connect Sarah Ada Gordon to the above couple, or any other family, you'll need to search for any existing baptism records since registration of births also started in 1864. However, early records often just list father's name.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline OzJen

• RootsChat Member
  • I came from over the sea ...
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find a birth record/family info
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 October 10 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much, Aghadowey! I looked for that marriage on LDS within that time frame and got absolutely nothing! You've obviously got a knack that I haven't yet aquired. Much appreciated!

Hopefully someone else out there will have the ability to unearth more info on this case that I've not been able to find.

OzJen  ;D
Bennett (Aspley Guise & Luton, Beds); Elijah Bambridge (Burslem, Staff); Thomas Carr-Parkhurst boy (Loughrea, Gal'y); Dowle (Romney Marshes, Kent + London); Duffy (Trim, Meath); Joseph Kaye (Mirfield, W.Yks); Leonard (Meath); Mary Mulfahy/Fahy-famine orphan (Nenagh, Tipp'y); Elizabeth Hoskin (Illogan, Cornw); Wm Henry Pearce (Tucking Mill, Cornw, Burra, S.Aust); Ruddell (Kilmore, Armagh); Shepherd (Elstree, Herts); John/Clarissa Short (Bodmin, Cornw); Benjmn Thomas RN 1820s; Wright (Ballylisk).