Author Topic: Help with Register of Corrected Entries please  (Read 2277 times)

Offline meggy1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with Register of Corrected Entries please
« on: Tuesday 02 November 10 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have a death certificate (RCE) which states that the details were "following report of result of precognition received touching the death" The Procurator Fiscal is mentioned on the top of the certificate, and i wondered if this was due to the cause of death which was drowning. This was in 1882 in Argyll.
Does this mean that there was a fatal accident enquiry perhaps? I'd be grateful if anyone can enlighten me!

Regards
Meggy1
Stanners, Bell, Ramsay, Kerr, Scougall, Gibb, Archibald, Todd, Laird Johnston, Cosgrove, Robertson.

Offline Rockford

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Ancestral Home!
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Register of Corrected Entries please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Meggy1

Where someone died in an unexplained way, or as the result of an accident, the death would have been reported to the Procurator Fiscal.  The Register of Corrected Entries RCE would note the outcome of any enquiries made by the PF (or someone on likely his behalf)- the brief information on the RCE is probably the only record of the PF's involvement that now exists.  You still see in newspaper reports or news bulletins that 'a report was sent to the procurator fiscal'.

For example, my ggg granny died at home and her husband recorded the cause of death as 'just dropped down and died'!  The RCE notes that after some contact with the local doctor, her cause of death was amended to something else.

I don't think that there would have been an FAI, unless he was working and fell off a boat, for example.  You might have more luck in the local papers, although I'm not familiar with the local resources for that area.

Best wishes

Rockford
BURNSIDE [Londonderry, Lothians and Pennsylvania]
THORBURN [Lanarkshire], VAIR [Melrose]
SWEENEY [Donegal/Lanarkshire]
GILCHRIST [Lanarkshire, Peebles, Lothians], SMITH [Dunbartonshire, Lanarkshire, Lothians]
GREGORY [Bucks, Wales], BENNETT [Somerset, Wales]
LETHERBY/HOWLETT/PHIPPS [Somerset]
HUNTER [New Monkland, Fife], GWYNNE [New Monkland, Stirling, Midlothian]
LOGIE/DUNLOP/THOMSON/YOUNG [West Lothian]

Offline meggy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rockford, thankyou for replying! That's been a help. According to the certificate, she drowned in the Crinan while of unsound mind, which just sounds very sad. Have tried to find out more, but to no avail.

Regards
Meggy1
Stanners, Bell, Ramsay, Kerr, Scougall, Gibb, Archibald, Todd, Laird Johnston, Cosgrove, Robertson.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 November 10 23:26 GMT (UK) »
FAI's are rarely held (even today) except "in the public interest" or where required by Statute.

When a death occurs  in a public place it is the subject of a report by the police to the Procurator Fiscal for the area regardless of the circumstances.

The PF on receipt of the report can take the investigation further by interviewing witnesses (the precognition mentioned) and can have a post mortem carried out by one or, in some cases, two doctors. If satisfied that the death was not due to a criminal act this information would be passed to the Registrar for the area and the death certificate confirmed.

Unfortunately police and PF procedures mean that few (if any) of these reports survive for the vast majority of instances.

Offline meggy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 November 10 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Falkyrn, thankyou for that information - it's good to have it explained!

Regards
Meggy1