Author Topic: Parish Registers - DOOLAN  (Read 3893 times)

Offline peter834

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parish Registers - DOOLAN
« on: Tuesday 02 November 10 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have only recently found out about this forum and now I am so happy that I have because I can finally get the help that I need to break down this wall, that has made me come to a sudden halt with my family research. I started my research in July and I think that I have gotten quite far, for the amount of time that I have been doing it.

There is however one person called William Doolan, who is my Great Great Grandfather, whom I cannot find any information about his family. Here is some information about him:

Name: William Doolan
Birth: about 1849 in Queen's County, Ireland,
His Spouse: Mary Feeney (Doolan)
Birth: about 1858 in Runcorn, Cheshire, England
Death: 1923

Children:
Ellen
Emily
Mary Catherine
William
Emma
Bernard
James
Eliza

Residence:
1881 = 31 Alexandra Street, West Derby, Lancashire, England
1883 = 5 Brighton Road, Great Crosby, Crosby, Cheshire, England
1891 = 23 Beaconsfield Road, Walton, Walton On The Hill, West Derby, Lancashire, England
1901 = 70 Hankinson Street, Wavertree, West Derby, Lancashire, England

I can't find any information about when or how he came over to Liverpool, England and I can't find any information about where he lived in Queens County, Ireland. I don't know anything about his siblings or parents, so anything would be such a big help.

Thankyou so much for your time!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Registers - DOOLAN
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 17:38 GMT (UK) »
I would say your first line of research (if you have not already done this..) should be to locate the marriage of William and Mary - presumably this was in England ?. This will give you their father's names and occupations which will help further searches.

To start researching parish records you need to know what religion the family were...you also really need to know where they lived (i.e. parish, town or townland) so you can check what records (if any) are available.

There some searchable records online for Co. Laois on the pay-website of the Irish Family History Foundation at : http://www.rootsireland.ie/  (note not all Laois parishes are included)

It would also be a good idea to have some further clues on William to confirm to confirm, or rule out, any records you find -  e.g. his father's name from his marriage cert. You can also add the father's name to the search to narrow down the results on the RootsIreland website.

see also : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests