Author Topic: Place of birth & registration  (Read 1590 times)

Offline DebbieDee

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hepzibah Annie Burge 1887-1969
    • View Profile
Place of birth & registration
« on: Sunday 10 April 05 16:00 BST (UK) »
Sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere...

I have come across a couple of instances where the district of registration apparently differs from the place of birth given in another document. 

In a time when children would almost always have been born in a private residence, was there any reason why they couldn't have been registered in a different district?

Any ideas please?

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Place of birth & registration
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 April 05 16:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie

Birth registrations had to be made in the district in which the child was born.  If the family were living in another area at the time of the registration then they could register in a different district but then this was forwarded to the district in which the child was born to be entered in their registers.  I don't think anybody can say that there weren't exceptions to the rule (as with all rules & regulations) but that's how it should have been.

It's difficult to comment further without knowing the details.

Best wishes

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DebbieDee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 April 05 16:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you Casalguidi for such a prompt reply,

My older examples can obviously be explained in all sorts of other ways.  I have been trying to match a child (with a reasonably unusual name) found in a census, with their birth.  In the census the birth was given as Margam, Glamorgan but the family were living in Monmouthshire. 

I found a birth in Glam, but have discounted it as the parents are wrong.  I have also found the 'wrong' family in the census.  There is a birth of the right name and date in Monmouthshire so I did wonder...maybe they had good reason to be economical with the truth.

Anyway, I am more curious about a recent example.  My father-in-law was born in 1937.  My husband, who has no contact with anyone in his father's family, always assumed they were Dorset based, where his grandparents lived.  My husband's birth cert says his father was born in Winchester.  I have looked for FIL's birth and the only record I can find is a birth in Henley!  He has a common first name but it is spelt in an unusual way.  I am now assuming my FIL thought he was born in Winchester - maybe that's where he grew up?

Excuse the waffle, I'm having a very perplexing day  ;)

Debbie

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 April 05 16:52 BST (UK) »
My husband's birth cert says his father was born in Winchester

Oh, so your husband wasn't born in England or Wales then?  Would the information supplied depend upon who registered his birth?

Best wishes

Casalguidi

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 April 05 17:36 BST (UK) »
Forgive the geography lesson Casalguidi,but Winchester(and it's Cathedral) are in Hampshire. Still in England isn't it  :o

I always think of my sons- both of whom were born in Kettering hospital,which is 10 miles from where we live. If they are asked to enter where born, even nowadays when so much more is known they usuually say Higham Ferrers, cos that's where they've lived all their lives.

In olden days expectant mums often went home to mum to give birth especially with a first baby.

As for FIL presumably he was born since 1912?
If so mothers maiden name is listed in the 1837online and St Caths register,so as long as hubby knows his grandparents surname you should be ale to double check it's the correct birth for his dad.If you need help post the facts here.

Hope this helps

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DebbieDee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 April 05 17:37 BST (UK) »
Interesting point!  He was born in Weymouth, Dorset.  We applied for a copy when we got married last year.  I've just had another look and I think the register office has used a 'still birth' certificate.  It looks like a birth cert but is the same colour as a death cert and has the extra lines for both parents place of birth.  I realised it didn't look right but thought it was just the colour.

Best wishes

Debbie

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 April 05 17:44 BST (UK) »
Debbie I'm confused  ::) Why should your hubby's birth cert say where his dad was born? I've never known that before in all my 52 years  ;D

It usually just says where the person whose cert it is, was born.
Name of mum and her maiden name,the address or hospital,and dad's name and his job.

He wasn't adopted was he?

Just a thought. :)

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DebbieDee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 April 05 17:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you Carol,

Unfortunately my husband doesn't remember much about his paternal grandparents.  He thought he used to visit them in Wales but it turned out he was actually travelling all the way from Weymouth to Bere Regis lol.  His Dad was in the Navy so could have been away when my husband was born so MIL possibly got it wrong.  

I'm assuming Casalguidi was referring to 'father's place of birth' being on the cert when it wouldn't normally be ???  Hope so or maybe this hobby is finally sending me doolally  :)

Debbie

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 April 05 17:56 BST (UK) »
The layout (and information included) of birth certificates in England and Wales changed in 1969.  Until then there were 10+ columns across the page:
First one had the entry number, anything from 1 -500
Col 1 - Date & Place of birth
Col 2 - Forenames
Col 3 - Sex
Col 4 - Father's name
Col 5 - Mother's name
Col 6 - Father's occupation
Col 7 - Signature description and residence of informant
Col 8 - Date of registration
Col 9 - Signature of registrar
Col 10 - Name given after initial registration

Post 1 April 1969, there are some 17 boxes (plus some "sub-boxes") to be filled in.  Boxes 5 and 8a are for the place of birth of the father and mother respectively.

So no, not every certificate in England & Wales has the place of birth of the parents on it!

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk