Author Topic: need a look up in Adelaide  (Read 3070 times)

Offline ladyholme

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
need a look up in Adelaide
« on: Saturday 06 November 10 11:02 GMT (UK) »
A mysterious occurrence is always interesting  ??? and I seem to have one in my family. As all things it is rather complicated,   :-\ but I will try and explain it as simply as I can. There was a Nancy Casson (1872-1945) who was a midwife and she married a William Miller in Lancaster, England in 1895. In the 1911 British census she and her husband say that along with their daughter called Annie Irene born 1904, they also have an adopted son call Richard Albert Casson born in 1911. I got the birth cert for this little boy and found he was born on the 5th January 1911, his mother was a Martha Casson, who if I am not mistaken, was Nancy's cousin...the chances are that I am correct in that assumption. The next we see, is that Nancy, her husband William who is a tin smith, daughter Annie Irene AND Albert Miller born 1911 were on the Irishman heading towards Adelaide in Australia. At that point there is nothing left of Richard Albert Casson or Albert Miller, who I think must be the same lad, as I know they had no other children of their own. It would rather suggest that little Albert popped his clogs during the journey, or soon after they arrived in Adelaide. :'( I could do with someone keen enough to take a ganders at the deaths in Adelaide in 1912 or possibly the beginning of 1913...to see if he can be found. Annie Irene's family have lived in Australia ever since, but far from Adelaide...I have been in contact with my much treasured distant cousin  :-* for many years, but they say that they have no memory in the family of this Albert Miller or Richard Albert Casson, which is why I think that he must have died whilst Annie Irene was too young (she would have only been about eight years old) to realise, or recall that she had an adopted brother.

Offline alison2763

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gr. Grandfather Harry KEETLEY K.I.A. 1917 France
    • View Profile
Re: need a look up in Adelaide
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 November 10 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
There is no recorded death for Richard Albert MILLER/CASSON at this time in SA  :-\
Regards
Alison
Blundell- Sussex - Newcastle
Kiefel- Prussia- South Australia
Fiegert-Prussia- South Australia
Retford/Deptford-Hampshire- NSW
Keetley-Hathern Leicestershire-New Zealand
Other names: Collis, Williams,Courage, Andrew, Ransom, Gore.

Offline ladyholme

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 November 10 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alison....that is really weird...you don't suppose that baby slipped out of their hands and overboard into the briny do you.... :-\ :( :'( and then they kept it quiet???? :-X No they couldn't have done that.... I wonder if he died further north.  ??? I think the family did travel north after they arrived, but not sure how long afterwards..... Thanks again Alison

Offline alison2763

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gr. Grandfather Harry KEETLEY K.I.A. 1917 France
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 November 10 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I don't know if there is a Register of Marine BDM for South Australia { I have the one for Victoria} , maybe he died on the way over ?
When you say further north where do you mean ?
Regards
Alison
Blundell- Sussex - Newcastle
Kiefel- Prussia- South Australia
Fiegert-Prussia- South Australia
Retford/Deptford-Hampshire- NSW
Keetley-Hathern Leicestershire-New Zealand
Other names: Collis, Williams,Courage, Andrew, Ransom, Gore.

Offline ladyholme

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 November 10 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alison, I think it was northern Queensland, or I believe it was, but as I am not that well educated over the geography of Australia I should study it more. It is a sad short coming in my education, which is my loss. There is a photo of the family on Booby Island..... Thank you for your help. It is much appreciated. Regards Lyn

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 November 10 07:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lyn

I saw this marriage record in the QUEENSLAND index.

http://www.justice.qld.gov.au/justice-services/births-deaths-and-marriages/family-history-research/search-our-historical-records

1933/C3287
Miller Richard Albert
to
PYERS Annie Irene

Don't suppose it is a possibility?

Essie

EDIT:  I now suppose not.

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/1147523?searchTerm=Annie+Irene+Pyers

Offline ladyholme

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 November 10 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Essie,

Wow it is speculative isn't it? Will have to look at it and mull it about in my head for a while. Thank so much. Lyn

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 November 10 21:35 GMT (UK) »

Booby Island is in the Torres Strait not far from Thursday Island, it was named by Captain Bligh in 1789.

It has a lighthouse which was manned with keepers for decades and was still so when I visited there to do some work in the mid 1980s

Regards

Gerry

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 November 10 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Maybe a long shot but.

Miller Richard Albert
QX48511
Born London 14th March 1911