Author Topic: Stockport - old photograph  (Read 19015 times)

Offline sallysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • sally and her mum!
    • View Profile
Re: Stockport - old photograph
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 23 December 10 07:44 GMT (UK) »
I just want to agree with the 2 previous posts.  I also like to look at old photos and see how the areas have changed.  Cheshire is my adopted county, none of my rellies come from this area but it holds much affection for me.  Thanks for sharing the photos and keep them coming!
sallysmum
Pearson Newcastle/Allendale<br />Sparke Allendale<br />Rees, Davies Pembrokeshire<br />Spence Leyburn<br />Foster Armley to battle creek USA<br />Leeming N Yorkshire<br />Stewart or Stuart Gateshead
Scott Leyburn
Roantree Leyburn

Offline david-m

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 28 July 12 21:40 BST (UK) »
Hi. The reply you had saying that your photo is at the Bulls head is spot on. I was born and bred just down the road from here the church in the distance is Aspinal church, where i was married in 1960 also went to cubs and scouts there lot of happy memories.

Yes the cinema behind the phone box was the rota, that was on thornley lane, the top end of thornley was where Mike Doyle was born the City legend sadly passed away last year.

The tram number use to be the 17 i remember the last tram leaving there before the bus came into operation, that was the terminus the bus would go to Mersey square.

Great picture brought back a lot of treasured memories for me...thanks for posting, would you mind if i took a copy of it.

Regards.
David Mills.

Offline Mariam82

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 30 August 12 22:23 BST (UK) »
I have really enjoyed this thread.  I havent lived in Stockport for 20 years and only looked at the cheshire thread by chance.   I used to work at the 'Boots' which was in Reddish south and would have been on these photos 30 years ago.  I remember well the pub = houldsworth - waiting for a bus home to Heaton Moor.  How nice to remember as well as do research.
 Maria M
Andrew Cavanagh B. Wicklow 1841 - D. widnes 1891 -
wife Alice (nee Green) - later accrington lancs
James & Mary Green- Haslingden m 1806
Peter Belton Burns (or Bolton) Ireland /then Manchester (son William b manchester 1842). Birley family Wigan.   Stafford family Pendleton salford
Devine family Stockport 1832 then Blackley 1861
Lipscomb family (Robert Lipscomb derby)
Stafford family (Margaret - Isle of Man).  Birley family Wigan 1900

Offline MasterHatter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 30 August 12 23:02 BST (UK) »
Loved the old photo of the tram.  Good luck with discovering its significance for being in your father's papers. 

I agree with many of the comments on this thread.  The joy of geneology is discovering your ancestors in the formal records and then trying to piece together a more fuller picture of the lives that they led, the conditions they knew when working, the places they lived in and the history of that time/place.  When I talk to my family about our ancestors, what interests the listener (if they are interested at all!!! ;)) is the context i.e. what they did for a living, the street they lived in, where they worshipped, their political leanings, their travels etc.  Reeling off dates of birth, marriage and death is not going to interest anyone in my family.... ::)

Online Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 31 August 12 11:10 BST (UK) »
I have really enjoyed this thread.  I havent lived in Stockport for 20 years and only looked at the cheshire thread by chance.   I used to work at the 'Boots' which was in Reddish south and would have been on these photos 30 years ago.  I remember well the pub = houldsworth - waiting for a bus home to Heaton Moor.  How nice to remember as well as do research.
 Maria M

I think you'll find that Boots (possibly now gone) and the Houldsworth pub (big dirty yellow tiled building - still there) are technically in what is known as mid-Reddish. South Reddish is the area from the top of Lancashire Hill heading North past Willow Grove cemetery. North Reddish is the bit from the Gorton boundary, where the originally posted picture was taken, South to somewhere around the Fir Tree pub.

The 17 bus (originally tram) ran from Mersey Square as far as the Bulls Head (just off the picture to the left) from where you could change to the 33 which ran into the centre of Manchester past Belle Vue Zoo. A bus from the Houldsworth pub to Heaton Moor would have taken you down Broadstone Road, across the (by then filled in) Stockport branch of the Manchester & Ashton-under-Lyne canal, through Heaton Chapel to Heaton Moor.

That particular area was, and probably still, is home to the headquarters of that auspicious organisation the "National Federation of Master Window-cleaners".

Offline david-m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 12 February 17 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi All here is another pic of the bulls head i would think late fifties. And the shop you can see in the distance is Gees green groceries, the son Donald Gee became a actor and appeared in many parts on TV. I can remember as a young lad seeing him delivering groceries on  his bike the ones with a large basket on the front. I lived further down from there Turnbull road i have quite a few pics of this area will root them out and post....happy days.

David.

Offline david-m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 12 February 17 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Great pic and happy memories of that area in the distance on the right is Aspinal church where i was married..
I will post another pic of the bulls head showing the pub opposite side to the pic above.

David.

Online Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 12 February 17 21:00 GMT (UK) »
One thing I should possibly have said - back in 2012 - is that this particular place is the spot where Stockport, Manchester and Tameside meet.

Referring to David's photo, the area to the left is in Stockport, that to the right in Tameside and that in the distance Gorton (Manchester).

Offline david-m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 13 February 17 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Yes spot on Ray, first pic looking up towards the bulls head. second pic showing the bulls head on the right. and another oldie taken over 100 years ago showing Aspinal church now demolished.

David