Author Topic: Lee Family of Watford Northampton  (Read 15207 times)

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Lee Family of Watford Northampton
« on: Monday 08 November 10 09:14 GMT (UK) »
I am researching one possible Lee Family of Watford, Northampton.
In particular, John Manning Lee (b. 5 Jul 1713 Watford) is listed as the child of Andrew and Elizabeth Lee.

I was looking for possible look ups to see if he married twice:
John Manning Lee married Elizabeth ............ and had the following chn:
Elizabeth (1740); Mary Lee (1741); Elizabeth (1743); Ann (1745); and John (1746).

Family search says that a John Manning Lee with parents named as Andrew Lee and Elizabeth married Mary Lee or Lea. 21 Jul 1763.
This couple had three girls: Elizabeth (1764); Mary (1766); and Ann (1769).

Is this the same man?

A David Rees of Haverfordwest, Wales married a Mary Lee 1791 London and had two boys. Then he partner her sister Ann Lee to 4 more chn. Mary Lee, the wife died in 1795 Haverfordwest;  Mary Lee the mother and Ann Lee the daughter both died in 1805, Haverfordwest.

In 1837, James Lee Rees inherited farm and lands at Watford, Northampton, and Coal Estate in the said county of Northampton. Thus, did he inherit his mother's Lee Farm in Watford?

Another child called George Manning Rees named two of his boys William Manning Lee Rees; and George Manning Lee Rees; and yet another brother Lt. William Lee Rees named one of his sons George Manning Rees, so Lee and Manning play a major roles for the next couple hundred of years in this "Welsh" family.

Regards,

Keith Rees
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
Re: Lee Family of Watford Northampton
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 November 10 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith.

This is his 1st Marriage.

From the Northants Marriage Indexes.

Stanford BT's By License

06 Nov 1738

John LEE of Watford to Elizabeth ANDREW of Long Buckby

Sandy      
Census Crown Copyright

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 November 10 09:29 GMT (UK) »
HI again.

Here is the 2nd marriage from the same indexes.

Watford  By License

21 Jul 1763

John LEE otp, yeoman to Mary LEA otp, spinster

No indication he was a widower.

I think you have 2 different men Keith.

Sandy      
Census Crown Copyright

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 November 10 09:32 GMT (UK) »
I find this very confusing.

Firstly the coal estate.  If this implies coal mining estate, there is no coal in Northamptonshire and so this can only refer to land owned by a Welsh mining company.  (Today by the way we would refer to Watford being in Northamptonshire only the town of Northampton is referred to as such).

I also worry about a farm being inherited by a family living remotely through a female line.  In those days the farm would have been owned and "leased" by the local manor probably by a copyhold.  These were normally only passed down the family to a next generation who would work the farm.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 November 10 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Watford burials note 3 John Manning Lee burials.

23 Mar 1771, 31 Aug 1779, 28 Oct 1781.

Now that is confussing also. 
Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline snowyw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 November 10 09:46 GMT (UK) »
There is no coal mining in Northants now, but I'm sure there was in East Northants in Victorian times, although I can find no reference to it at the moment.
I seem to remember reading that it was one of the safest mines at the time.

Wish I could remember where I found the information!!
I'm not young enough to know everything.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 November 10 09:58 GMT (UK) »
First of all, thank you Seahall for the very quick response.
David,
The is what is written in the Will of David Rees, Gentleman, of Merlins Hill, late of Greenhills, County of Pembroke, and proved in 1838.
I give and devise all that part or share of the farm and lands at Watford in the County of Northampton and all other my Coal Estate in the said County of Northampton unto and to the use of my son James his heirs and assigns for ever and I give bequeath revise and release unto my said son James the sum of two hundred pounds which he now owes me and which was intended to be secured to me by mortgage upon one of his shares of the said farm of Watford aforesaid but which mortgage not yet executed ....

Thus David, it look like this farm was not inherited as you suggested but rather James Lee Rees of Bristol was invested in a Watford farm, to which his dad was supporting him.

Keith

Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 November 10 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Seahall,
One of those John Manning Lee deaths is for the son of John Lee and Alice. bp 22 /10/1781 d. 28 Oct 1781.

I thought that this John (Manning?) Rees may have been the son of John Manning Rees and Elizabeth Andrew (born 1 Aug 1746 Walford) The other two may be his older brothers who had died and the name is still trying to be used.

Keith

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 November 10 12:16 GMT (UK) »
There is no coal mining in Northants now, but I'm sure there was in East Northants in Victorian times, although I can find no reference to it at the moment.
I seem to remember reading that it was one of the safest mines at the time.

Wish I could remember where I found the information!!

The geology of Northamptonshire is wrong for there to have been coal mining.  There was iron ore mining in the centre of the county for many centuries.  Watford is of course in west Northamptonshire and is notorious today for the Watford Gap Service Station on the M1.  Many of my ancestors came from that area and I have never seen any sign of any miners amongst them or their neighbours.

I am also certain if there had been any sign of a coal mine within that area it would have been visited on one of my school history trips which paid a number of visits to that area.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk