Author Topic: Adoption  (Read 1959 times)

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Adoption
« on: Monday 08 November 10 12:05 GMT (UK) »
I have a general query here if a child is adopted what paperwork do the adoptive parents get ? and what do they know ? i.e. do they know the childs natural parents names ?  and do they get a ‘certificate’ of some sort? If they do get a ‘certificate’ what does it show ?
Will it show his natural parents names?  Or his adopted parents names? Or both ?  childs d.o.b and place of birth? when adopted?

I have not dealt with adoption before so have no idea

Thanks

Toni
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Adoption
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 November 10 12:14 GMT (UK) »
We adopted a child after fostering him, so we actually saw his original birth name on paperwork, but as far as I know that is not usual.  We have got a certificate and paperwork, which I can't find at the moment.  From memory it has mine and my husband's names on as his adoptive parents, plus the date of adoption and his date of birth.  I also think, we have more paperwork than is usual as the council who arranged the fostering, gave us copies of all the paperwork, including his medical examination before the adoption could go ahead etc.  I would think this is perhaps not normal, you would need a definitive answer from someone who adopted a baby direct from an adoption agency.

Lizzie

ps.  I know where the paperwork is, but my husband has his study turned upside down at the moment installing a new laptop and printer so it's impossible for me to get to any paperwork.

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 November 10 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Lizzie would the childs name on the paperwork be that he was registered with in the GRO index or that that the adoptive parents have given to him? 

I have seen once before a birth certificate for a child who was adopted it was completed in the usual way and under the name box it had simply typed adopted on it.

I also hazard a guess that if you knew where the child was coming from then perhaps you would know the natural parents details just for example if the childs natural parents had died and was being adopted by a relative the adoption process would be slightly different?
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 November 10 12:54 GMT (UK) »
The name on the paperwork was the name he was given by his mother.  He is of Asian background and we know she wanted to call him Mohammed but was persuaded by the Children's department that as he was up for adoption and would probably be adopted by an English couple (as happened often in the 1960s/70s) that she should give him an English name, which she did and that is what he is registered under with his original Asian surname.  His birth registration is on FreeBMD etc.

Of course, being a foster child before we adopted him, we were obviously given much more information than would normally be given to adoptive parents.  We knew the circumstances of his birth and why he was being given up for adoption etc.  We also knew where his Asian mother was born and how she came to be in care too.

Lizzie

ps. He has absolutely no interest in tracing his birth mother, despite the fact that it would probably be quite easy knowing his background etc.  I don't know if that is a male thing, or just him. 

Offline EeyoreBlue

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 November 10 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Toni

My mum was adopted circa 1943.  She/her adoptive parents were given an adoption certificate, on which was stated the adoptive parents names, her date of birth, the date of the adoption, where it took place (ie which court).  From memory I can't remember any other details, but it certainly did not contain any details of birth parents.

I decided to try to find out birth details, but once an adoption has taken place, the 'original birth' details are effectively closed.  To find out details, I was told I had to get my mum to agree, and she had to apply.  My mum has never wanted to know any details, so this was not an option for me.  But in reality, I knew her birth mother's details, and was able to quote this to the GRO, along with all other details (date, location etc) so I got the certificate (I wanted to know if a father was recorded).  My mother does know I have the certificate, but has never asked for any details, and I have never told her about them.

EeyoreBlue
Marshall (Northumberland)
Burns (Scotland, Durham, Northumberland)
Chilton (Northumberland, Cumbria, Durham)
Dixon (Northumberland)
Brown (Northumberland, Cumbria)
Tallentire & variants (Durham)
Phillips (Briton Ferry, Wales)
Seaton (Cumbria)
Moffat (Cumbria)
Garstang (Cumbria, Lancashire)

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 November 10 13:23 GMT (UK) »
thank you for your answers they are very helpful

:)

Offline pennine

• RootsChat Member
  • A smile can make some ones day
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 November 10 01:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi there I was adopted and I have an adopted son. My adoption was within the family and I was aged 10 at the time in the late 50's so I did know my parents names etc even though my name was changed on the adoption.
When I was older (36) I applied for my birth certificate and had to see a counsellor before it was issued. It didn't really matter because by then I had traced my natural mother. I had to write to some place in Portsmouth for the actual certificate and the Counsellor had to agree to the release of that certificate. I would have traced much earlier if I had had the knowhow.

In respect of my son, I was issued with a form that gave his birth parents names and mine and my husbands as his adoptive parents. I also knew the family history and medical history of his birth parents. His adoption took place in the mid 1970's and although I have passed on this documentation to him as yet he has made no attempts to trace his birth parents. He is now nearly 40
years old. Maybe it is a male thing to not trace.
Pennine
Bell, Brodsworth, Felkirk, Wath-Upon-Dearne, Yorkshire<br />Bright, Eyre, Jessop, Wilkinson, Sheffield, Yorkshire<br />Fielding, Lound Retford, Lincolnshire and Sheffield, Yorkshire<br />Law,  Felkirk, Wath-Upon-Dearne, Yorkshire<br />Lister, Flockton, Wath-Upon-Dearne, Yorkshire<br />Mitchell, Langsett, Nr. Penistone Yorkshire.<br />Walton, Cudworth, Barnsley Yorkshire.<br />Stanger, Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire, Yorkshire.<br />Gratwick, London and Kent<br />Fahy, Limerick, Southern Ireland

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 November 10 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your comments they are enlightening and helpful :)