Author Topic: Prodger Lookup - Overton Parish Flintshire  (Read 10205 times)

Offline janey123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Prodger Lookup - Overton Parish Flintshire
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 December 12 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi
My family connection is Sarah Prodger and George Clarke. I am only in the early stages of researching this side of the family but their son James Clarke is my GGGrandfather. I was about to send for the marriage certificate as I cannot understand why the 4 children lived with their grandfather John Prodger in Bryn Cottages.
Have you been able to shed any light on this?
Best Wishes
Jane

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 December 12 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Jane.As a matter of curiosity;Who do you have as father for George Clarke?

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 26 December 12 18:22 GMT (UK) »
After looking at trees on Ancestry it appears George's father was a John Clarke born in Ellesmere in 1781.

My own Clarke interest concerns a James Cooper Clarke who was born in  Welshampton Shropshire  in  1794.This James  married my  relative  Martha  Roberts  who  was  born in  Overton  in 1802.

Regards
William  Russell  Jones .   
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janey123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 26 December 12 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for your reply. I am only in the early stages and I may have contacted the wrong person. Within this blog forum specifically about the Prodgers someone has sent for George's and Sarah's marriage certificate and I thought I would connect with them.
I have not worked out how the Prodgers fit in only that he was Head of the family of James  Clarke my GGG Grandfather Living with his brothers and sisters Mary, Lucy and George and his Grandfather John Prodger  is listed as the Head of the family and they are not living with their parents in Bryn Cottages.
Thanks anyhow.
Best wishes for Christmas
Jane

Offline Prodger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 27 December 12 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Janey123.

I have not done any genealogy for quite a while. Let me see if I can explain what I think I know.

I can track my Prodger line, confidently, back to a John Prodger b 21 Aug, 1820 who joined the Welch 23rd Regiment. He was stationed in Carlisle Castle in 1841 (census) and came to Canada and stayed.

I was able to find a John Prodger with christening date 27 Aug 1820 in the Cheshire Bishops Transcripts. Overton, Cheshire, father John Prodger b 1779, Wife Mary. John and Mary Haynes were  married 8 jan 1813. They had 3 children Sarah (1815), John (1820)  and Anne (1823).

28th Dec 1837, George Clarke married Sarah Prodger. George Clarke was a blacksmith. Fathers name John Clarke. Sarah and George had 8 children - John, George, Anne, James, Mary, Thomas, William, Edward.

Now the complication - I found a John Prodger married to a Sarah Haines b 1790 with 2 children Jane b 1805 and Elizabeth b 1807. Sarah Haines died 19 May 1812. I think Sarah Haines and Mary Haynes were sisters and John remarried the sister in 1813.

I can find no father for John Prodger b 1779. There are many Prodgers in Overton area and they are all descendants of Phineus Prodger b 1736 and Jane Davies b 1731. I have connected 7 children to Phineus with the last one born 1777. John b 1779 would be the 8th. Phineous's wife, Jane, would have been 48. Perhaps he was illegitimate.   

Prodger - Ontario and Flintshire
Aldridge - Ontario and UK
Graham - Ottawa Ontario and Antrim Ireland

Offline eltel001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 28 April 14 21:11 BST (UK) »
Not too sure how old this thread is, or even which year.
I have Anne Prodger 1809-1883, The Bryn, Overton as 2nd Great-Grandmother on paternal side married to Charles Beckett 1806-1883. Anne's father was Joseph Prodger 1777  Overton married to Mary Price I believe.

Offline Prodger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Eltel001

It has been a few years but luckily genealogy is not time sensitive.
We are statistically, likely, related through Joseph Prodger b1777. Joseph is the oldest (maybe) of 7 children born to Phineus Prodger b 1736 d 1814 and Jane Davies B 1731 D 1809 , m Sep 25 1759.

I say Joseph is maybe the oldest as there is a John Prodger b 1779 in Overton that I can not link to anyone in Overton. All Prodger in Overton in the relative time period (27 individuals) are linked to Phineus and Jane except John Prodger b 1779 and his children. John is my GGGF.

Regards Peter

Offline Prodger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 14:12 BST (UK) »
Eltel001,
I have a note that Ann Prodger b 2 Feb 1809 married Jan 1829 to Thomas Bobbington. It has been a long time since I looked at this so cannot give you the source without digging. Most of my information came from parish records.

Regards Peter

Offline eltel001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 00:10 BST (UK) »
Phineas Prodger 1736 is 4th Great Grandfather to me (corrected - actually on maternal side) down to the Becketts from Ellesmere and Oswestry and surrounding areas. Will be in Ellesmere 2nd weekend of May visiting relatives. Thank you for the notes, I'll check them out later today.
Regards Terry