Author Topic: John Williams  (Read 5933 times)

Offline martin40

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Williams
« on: Monday 08 November 10 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone.  Im hope someone maybe able to give me a head start. I am trying to find out some information regarding my great great grandfather as thats where the trail has hit a dead end...my last point of reference is my Great grandfather Mr John Williams born 1862 ish in Narbeth Pembrokeshire, Wales and he was an employee of GWR railways...I would be very grateful of any info as to his parents and place and date of birth and also any info on his role within the industry. plse email me on (*) Thank you

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline maidmarion

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John Williams
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Martin40 and welcome to rootschat

Please don't be put off posting again by the moderators intervention, we all make errors  :)

Do you have John Williams on the 1871 census?

maidmarion  :)

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 09:21 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out some information regarding my great great grandfather as thats where the trail has hit a dead end...my last point of reference is my Great grandfather Mr John Williams born 1862 ish in Narbeth Pembrokeshire, Wales he was an employee of GWR railways...I would be very grateful of any info as to his parents and place and date of birth

Hello & welcome Martin40.

Could this be a possibility for your Gt. G/father John Williams with his parents  :-\

1881 c RG11/5412/38/30
28 Waterloo, Pembroke St. Mary

John WILLIAMS Head 49 Llanver Mongomeryshire Railway Engine Driver
Mary wife 45 Trefryglwys Montgomery
JOHN 19 (1862) Llanidloes, Carmarthen Railway Engine Fireman
Edward 18 Trefryglwys Blacksmith
Thomas 15 Tenby Railway Engine Cleaner
William 13 St Mary's Pembroke
Richard 11    "
Evan 8         "
Edwin 6        "
George 4      "
Frederick 3   "
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline martin40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning...

Thank you for your response. I really appreciate it. I believe he was actually a Guard to be honest and he did Marry a lady called Mary Perrin but that was once he moved to the London area as far as I believe. Really appreciate your time and effort on this. The area I am most stuck on at the moment is finding his Parents..any help would be appreciated. Thank you all so far !!! Martin

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Martin

Can i suggest you start a Thread on the Pembrokeshire Board.

There is a Member who is very helpful.

Also,getting the marriage cert for John would give you Dad`s name.

Kind Regards

Omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline maidmarion

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning...

Thank you for your response. I really appreciate it. I believe he was actually a Guard to be honest and he did Marry a lady called Mary Perrin but that was once he moved to the London area as far as I believe. Really appreciate your time and effort on this. The area I am most stuck on at the moment is finding his Parents..any help would be appreciated. Thank you all so far !!! Martin

Hi
Have you confirmed your great grandmother's name from your grandfather or grandmother's birth cert or other source?

You would then be able to look for John Williams marriage and order the cert as suggested by Omega.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 12:04 GMT (UK) »
No need to start a new thread- I'll move this one to PEMBROKESHIRE board now.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 15:02 GMT (UK) »
.......................Mr John Williams born 1862 ish in Narbeth Pembrokeshire, Wales and he was an employee of GWR railways...

Martin (40)

Given that the ’81 is your family I would make the following observations.

1.   It is lightly that John Williams would have worked/driven for what would become out of the many private rail companies the G.W.R.(Gods Wonderful Railway) The last time I researched an engine driver (one Thomas Oriel) the records where held at the National Archives Kew under
RAIL ~ British Transport Historical Records. A quick look now reveals thousands of references.
2.   As the private companies where taken over and grew so the social side of the records became part of the Union records, who I believe may still hold information, but how early it is would take some research.
3.   Turning to the family pre 1881. The period of the childrens baptisms was a period of transition here in Pembroke. The new town of Pembroke Dock to support the new secure HM Dockyard was began in 1814 under a different name changing its name to Pembroke Dock in 1817. The area known as Paterchurch given over by the Meyrick family was part of the Parish of Pembroke St Mary. The 1840’s saw a huge building programe of Chapels and a parish church to be known as Pembroke Dock  St John. The parish began services in 1844 for baptisms, but would not be fully recognized for over another 20 odd years at about the time that the town of Pembroke Dock gained its own full status.
4.   This then is the reason that John & Mary reside in the town of Pembroke Dock but appear to live in the parish of Pembroke Town St Mary. The district of Waterloo is a residential/industrial area of “The Dock” or “P.D.” and is but a short walk to the local railway station via the level crossing and bird cage walk, a location that has the honour of being the 1st in the world to have a police chase enacted on film. This film amd location still exists.
5.   Richard Williams aged 11 was baptised at Pembroke Dock St John in the year of 1883, Richard was aged 4 yrs old at the time of his baptism. I have found a William Williams baptised in 1868 at Pembroke Dock St John and would hazard a guess this is their eldest Dock son shown in 1881. There are a number of Thomas Williams baptised at Tenby, but I would suspect that your Thomas was baptised at Tenby in Liberty St Mary’s on the 09 Oct 1864.
6.   I wonder if John Williams was the engine driver on the night Sgt Horton fell to his death from the train between the Dock and Tenby in 1867, through no fault of the train staff I hasten to add, but forms one item in my talks on Pembrokeshire related Military headstones.
I trust the above is of some assistance and interest to your research.
Rgds
Orielbenfro
ORIEL a welsh window on a surname
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 15:31 GMT (UK) »
May I speculate as a research starting point for the parents of John Williams aged 49, one looks at the baptism of one John Williams in 1829 to Thomas & Susanah Williams at Trefryglwys, followed perhaps by the mrge of a John Williams to a possible Mary Matthews in 1859.
Rgds
Orielbenfro
ORIEL a welsh window on a surname
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015