Author Topic: Monaghan emigrants in shipwreck  (Read 2855 times)

Offline ebt47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Monaghan emigrants in shipwreck
« on: Tuesday 09 November 10 21:31 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to see if other researchers of Monaghan families have had ancestors involved in shipwrecks?  I am researching a family, Edward and Emily Fagan, farmers of Milltown, Ematris Parish, Co. Monaghan circa 1840.  According to family stories they emigrated to the USA and were lost in a shipwreck.  They had left a daughter behind, the ancestor I am studying.  They will not have been alone on the ship and perhaps other people have researched people with a similar background.  The shipwreck must have occurred between 1845 and perhaps 1858.  One good candidate was the burning of the Ocean Monarch in 1848, but their names were not in the passenger lists reported in the newspapers of the day.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Monaghan emigrants in shipwreck
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Yes, had one from Ematris but shipwrecked on way to England, she was picked up two days later floating on flotsom. . I have births etc afterwards in UK so haven't chased shipwreck up. Unfortunately don't know name of ship or year but around same time! Possibly the RNLI might have records??

I'm just back from visiting Ematris where I got the church records and photographed the g/stones, no Fagan stones. The problem is that there are a few churches within the area that they could have attended.

*Moderator's Note: image removed as it was stretching the page and didn't add anything constructive to the topic
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline ebt47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for replying.   The shipwreck I am trying to find was said to have been within sight of land, so it could have been the crossing to Liverpool in preparation for the subsequent voyage to the US.  Any hints as to how to pin this down further?  There are websites with lists of shipwrecks, and as I said the most likely was the Ocean Monarch in 1848.  That by itself is a fascinating (if horrible) event.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 18:17 GMT (UK) »
I don't have any more. Mine would have been travelling home to UK, so wouldn't be part of any group. It would have been at latter part of your time frame and even purely coincidental.

No records were kept as such for travel to UK, the dead were probably recorded but as mine was picked up after 2 days she could have been landed anywhere and not even recorded. There were many shipwrecks so might never find out.

Offline owenzachary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 November 10 21:33 GMT (UK) »
I have just begun to look for a branch of my family that originated in Ireland. When I saw shipwrecked in the message header I thought to respond :)

The Irish branch of my tree is the Young Family.  William Bedell Young (1811-1881), wife Mary Nicholson Young (1810-1866?) Their daughter Mary is my link (July 1837- July 1927). On our family record book, my dad had her as born in Connly, Monaghan, Ireland. Her parents were born in Ireland, but don't know where.

In our book, it was written that in 1841 the Young family decided to sail to the United States. They ended up in Bureau, Illinois area (Tiskilwa, Arispie). And although I am just starting my search for the Youngs, it was reported that the ship they sailed on TO the US shipwrecked. It was also stated that all passengers survived.  This was in 1841.

If they all survivied they must have been close to land or other ships, but now I'm hunting for more info. Are you sure of the traveling dates?

Cindy in Virginia

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 November 10 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Cindy

Just checked mine, was much later! 1870's.

There were many shipwrecks, the Tayleur, which was a predecessor of Titanic sank on it's maiden journey from Liverpool, for example, when it crashed into Lambay Island just off Dublin with loss of over 300.

Many others were shipwrecked off coast of Canada and USA so finding out won't be easy.

You will be relying on church records which may not go back much further than 1800/20.

I'm not an advocate of putting too much data online any more as mine was"harvested", sold and then associated with the wrong people in New Zealand because "it looked perfect". Now this incorrect tree is online forever and taken as being "gospel truth" when it is not. A member of this tree is also incorrectly associated with a person in Ontario because the record looks perfectly correct (unbelievably so!) yet is not. At least with William's unusual 2nd name he will be easier to identify.... have you tried familysearch.org for them?

Offline ebt47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 November 10 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cindy.   I've got 3 children baptised to the Fagan family at Ematris, Monaghan, between Dec 1840 and Feb 1845, so they emigrated after that.  Have you checked Wikipedia: Shipwrecks of the 19th century are listed by year in Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:19th-century_maritime_incidents ?  This is a list of all shipwrecks and you might be able to find your ship in 1841 there.

Offline owenzachary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 November 10 19:22 GMT (UK) »
I cannot believe someone took your tree and profited from it :( Boo!

Thanks for the wiki link. I'm off to check it :)

Cindy in Virginia

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 November 10 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Same happens with data people put on their Facebook page!