Author Topic: Skipton and Gargrave 1841 census  (Read 2073 times)

Offline Louise Mumford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Skipton and Gargrave 1841 census
« on: Sunday 10 April 05 23:51 BST (UK) »
I would be very grateful if anyone with the 1841 census would be kind enough to look for John Hurtley (may be transcribed as Hartley) and his family in Skipton and Gargrave  His wife is Hannah, and I know of three children, Robert John, born 1833, Elixzabeth, born 1834 and Jane, born 1839.  What I would like to know is whether there are any older children, born 1827-33, particularly another son, John, born 1827. The other children were baptised in Skipton, and John Hurtley senior had a shop there, but the family give their place of birth as Gargrave and some are apparently buried there.
Hurtley: West Yorkshire, Burnley
Slater, Pul(l)man, Shackleton: West Yorkshire
Holden: Shuttleworth, Tottington, Blackpool
Kay: Ribchester, Longridge, Manchester
Townsend: Essex, Liverpool
Wigglesworth: Skipton, Burnley
O'Neill: Belfast, Liverpool
Mumford: Essex, London, Pembrokeshire, India
Cox: India, Dover

Offline saar3

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Skipton and Gargrave 1841 census
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 April 05 06:59 BST (UK) »
Don't know whether this is any help but there was a John Hurtley baptised at Gargrave St Andrew 1/4/1827 - he was the son of Elizabeth of Gargrave
Researching Moon, Jeffrey, Umpleby, Mortimer, Lowcock, Lynch, Naylor, Cobb, Emmott, Lofthouse, Limbert, Brooks, Gilbank, Wilkinson, Watkinson, Hebden, Hey and Clemie in Yorkshire<br />and<br />Myatt and Lawrence in Staffordshire and Warwickshire

Offline Louise Mumford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 April 05 09:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you, that is very helpful. Is it definitely Hurtley, because the IGI has this as Hartley?

Offline saar3

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 April 05 11:05 BST (UK) »
Yes it is.

I got this from the transcript of the Gargrave records produced by the Wharfedale Family History Group.
Researching Moon, Jeffrey, Umpleby, Mortimer, Lowcock, Lynch, Naylor, Cobb, Emmott, Lofthouse, Limbert, Brooks, Gilbank, Wilkinson, Watkinson, Hebden, Hey and Clemie in Yorkshire<br />and<br />Myatt and Lawrence in Staffordshire and Warwickshire

Offline Louise Mumford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 April 05 11:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for that, Saar3.  The enquiry stems from making contact this weekend through a Hurtley message board with another Hurtley descendent (and we're few enough!), who goes back to John, born in 1827; documentation they have apparently gives his father as John Hurtley born in Gargrave in 1807. I have this  1807 John, son of Thomas and Hannah, in my family tree, but only know of the three children I listed in my first posting. Our John Hurtley and his wife Jane Shepherd married in June 1828, according to the IGI, but I haven't yet had the opportunity to verify this. The son and two daughters, whom I also found on the IGI and also from family documents, were all baptised at the independent chapel in Skipton, where John Hurtley also had a shop, but I know the family has links with Gargrave, and they may have lived there.
Can anyone help with this puzzle?
I would still be interested in  John Hurtley's family on the 1841 (or indeed 1851) census, if anyone could help. At some point, they move from Skipton adn buy a cotton mill in Burnley, but I'm not sure when.

Thank you very much for alerting me to the Wharfdale FH Group, btw. I have found their website, and can see that joining their group will be a great help!

Offline Louise Mumford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 April 05 23:02 BST (UK) »
Error: I've just realised that in my first posting, I wrote that John (Senior's) wife was Hannah, which was incorrect; as I said in teh second, his wife was JANE, nee Shepherd.
It was John's mother who was Hannah, and his father Thomas Hurtley.
Sorry for any confusion.

Offline The Boss

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 February 06 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Louise...can't remember if we've corresponded before or not!!  I am interested in the Hurtley's from Garrave area.

My grandmother was Alice Hurtley (1900-1987).

Her parents were James Hurtley and Ellen (Paley).  James was born 19 September 1858 - haven't located his death yet).  Their children were Alice, Nellie, James, Maggie, Rhoda, Tom and Jessie.

James's parents were James Hurtley and Hannah (Dinsdale).  This James was born c1821 and died in 1887 (I think).  Their children were John, Mary, James, Esther and William.

James's father was Thomas Hurtley. 

And that's all I know.  If you think we might have a connection I would welcome anything you can tell me.

Cheers for now.
My email address is not working sorry
Dawson, Musgrove, Hurtley, Paley, Dinsdale, Buckley, Gawthrop, Tattersall, Espley, Britliff, Skelding and Lockington.

Offline Louise Mumford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 February 06 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello Boss, (really? Whose?!)
Things change a lot in a year, and I have discovered that Gargrave was rather a red herring for my branch of the Hurtleys, who come, in fact, from around Settle and Giggleswick.
However, during the year, I  made contact with someone connected with Gargrave Hurtleys, so I have sent them a link to your posting.

Hope you all match up!

Louise