Author Topic: SIMS or SHIPMAN of All Cannings  (Read 13302 times)

Offline bgor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: SIMS or SHIPMAN of All Cannings
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 06 September 11 04:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you Dee Jay. That certainly gives me a clear line to follow. Hopefully I can work my way back further  now.
Best Wishes
Bronwyn
Dent  Pomeroy  Toll 
Buck  Grant  Clarke
Burgar
Sims
Mitchell

Offline jobob

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 December 11 14:35 GMT (UK) »
HELLO, i AM ALSO DESCENDED FROM THOMAS SIMS & JEMIMA GRANT, THEIR SON JOB SIMS WAS MY GREAT GRANDFATHER, HE MARRIED MARY JANE DELAHUNTY AND THEIR DAUGHTER ELSIE JANE SIMS WAS MY GRANDMOTHER.

IF ANY "COUSINS" WOULD LIKE TO MAKE CONTACT PLEASE EMAIL ME

CHEERS JOANNE
 ;)
Dundee, Scotland: Duffus, Henderson, Saunders, Fenton
Liverpool:Pinnington, Stringfellow, Kenyon,Saunders, Molyneux,Taylor,Atwood,Crowther
Northampton:Burbidge,Werrington,Shivers
South Australia: Bobridge, Byrne, Taylor, Sims,Good, Duffus, Moyle,Pinnington,Biddle,Pepper,Stretch
Cornwall: Barnes, Moyle, Johns, Rapson, Vellenoweth,Glasson,Good,Corno,Richards,Hoskin,Gribble,

Offline jackiem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 20 January 13 10:48 GMT (UK) »
I am the great grand-daughter of Job Sims - one of Job's 9 children was my grandfather Arnold leslie Sims, he married Violet Olive Warren and they had two children my dad Leslie James Sims & a daughter Beverly Ann Sims (Hargreaves).  leslie married Ann Blaby and had two children me (jackie) and my brother Anthony James.  Beverly had three children (Vicki Ann, Cheryl Lee & Christopher John). 
Thomas Sims ran the Clarendon Hotel SA in the 1850's and there is a photo around showing the SIMS name on the photo along with a listing of owners one of Which was Thomas.  The Reynella Cemetery Main South Road Reynella has records for Job & his wife (sorry I forgot her name) and other SIMS relatives.

Offline jackiem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 20 January 13 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joanne,

My grandfather was Arnold leslie who would have been Elsie's brother. I guess we are related. jackie

Offline jobob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 20 January 13 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jackiem,
Thankyou for your reply ...Yes we are related we are second cousins.. thanks for the info on your family, my grandmother Elsie Jane Sims was born in 1900 she married Charles Edward Taylor, my father  Ronald Taylor their son.
Jemima Grant was our great  x2 grandmother, Thomas Sims wife,she is buried at O'halloran hill cemetery..I have a fair bit of information that i can share including cause of death etc..i think after 4 posts you can message privately i havent been on here for awhile...again lovely to hear from you ....
Joanne
Liverpool:Pinnington, Stringfellow, Kenyon,Saunders, Molyneux,Taylor,Atwood,Crowther
South Australia: Bobridge, Byrne, Taylor, Sims,Good, Duffus, Moyle,Pinnington,Biddle,Pepper,Stretch
Cornwall: Barnes, Moyle, Johns, Rapson, Vellenoweth,Glasson,Good,Corno,Richards,Hoskin,Gribble,

Offline jackiem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 21 January 13 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joanne,
My Mum has been doing a fair bit of research on the SIMS arm of the family.  I am sure she would be interested in any information that you might have.  She has gone back as far as Thomas' grandfather I think.  She probably hasnt covered off all families and has probably gone back on our direct line.  Your Dad must be my dad's cousin.  is your dad still around?  If yes, you could ask him if he remembers my dad, I dont know whether they saw each other in their early years or not. My dad passed november 2010 after a short battle with the dreaded cancer.  My aunty bev is still around though.  I have attached a photo of the Royal oak Hotel in Clarendon. The sign on the balcony on the right hand side has the name SIMS although it is difficult to reach.

Offline jobob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 21 January 13 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jackie, yes my father is still alive,ill ask my brother to see if he remembers his cousin Leslie or uncle Arnold, he doesnt remember much when i have asked questions but you never know!!!  there was also another child born to JOB SIMS & MARY JANE DELAHUNTY in 1908 OLIVE MAY SIMS was born at Morphett Vale,sa bdm's number 807/81, so they had 10 children. i will private message on the chat to give you my email Thomas Sims  was a wood cutter at the time of his death in 1877 he died from disease of the brain dying in a fit ..... and the pic is great, we have lived interstate for many years and upon return have been to Claredon..cheers for the photograph sorry about your dad.
Joanne

Offline NatalieSims

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 12:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Jackie and Joanne,
Thomas Shipman/Sims and Jemima GRANT were my 3xgreat grandparents too. I am descended from your Job SIMS' brother William John Henry SIMS. I'd love to hear more from you with any information you may have. Perhaps I may have something of use to you as well; it's some years since I've done any genealogy, but have lots of files!
best,
Natalie

Offline SSimsGer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 24 December 15 01:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello, all!  I'm new here, Sherry from America.

I can prove my ancestry back to William Syms/later Sims, who immigrated to Virginia in 1658, wrote his will in 1710 and died as a very old man in 1725 in New Kent County, Virginia.  He owned land in both James City County and New Kent County.  His will (which is only available because of a law suit in Louisa County, where the early records weren't destroyed) verifies that he is the father of my John Sims.

I've been trying to find out where in England William Syms came from.

From another site, I've found a William Syms who was baptised January 6, 1642, at Steeple Ashton, Wiltshire, England, the son of a Williams Syms.  This birth date would have been about right for my William.  Most of the immigrants to Virginia in the 17th century were from southwestern England, so I'm looking there first.  This is strictly a stab in the dark, but does anyone have any information on this William Syms?

There are numerous wills of Sims' in Wiltshire listed on another site from the 17th century.  Does anyone live in Wiltshire and have easy access to them?  Most list Sims alias Shipman or Shipman alias Sims.  In Virginia and South Carolina in colonial days, the term 'alias' was used, but it appeared to relate only to illegitimacy.  For example, my husband has an ancestor who arrived in S. Carolina in 1725 and lived in the backwoods.  He eventually took up with Elizabeth Hains, didn't marry her in the Church of England, but when proper clergy was available, he did so.  The birth of their son and  their marriage certificate from The Register Book for the Parish Prince Frederick Winyaw reads -

Godbold, John (alias John Hains) natural son of John Godbold and Elizabeth Hains born July 24th, 1739.  Baptized April 24th, 1740.  The said Godbold and Hains married the same day.

So, it's interesting to see 'alias' used in relation to a 'hold' on people.  Were these Sims/Shipmans the children of a man named Sims or Shipman? Were they named Sims, but someone named Shipman sort of 'owned' them?

By the way, my brother's Y-DNA shows he's in the R-M269 group. 

I would love to hear from anyone who has anything to share about the Sims/Shipmans of Wiltshire.

Thank you,

Sherry