Author Topic: RC Parish Marriage Records for IVORY/KELLY and TRAYNOR/KERWIN  (Read 11945 times)

Offline zorbo77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
RC Parish Marriage Records for IVORY/KELLY and TRAYNOR/KERWIN
« on: Thursday 11 November 10 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

In the past year, I acquired the marriage certificate of my great-great-grandparents, Michael Traynor and Catherine Ivory who were married in the Holy Redeemer Church in Bray, Co. Wicklow on 2 December 1869. 

Michael's parents were listed as Patrick Traynor and Ann(a) Kerwin (spelling may vary); Catherine's parents were listed as William Ivory and Catherine Kelly.   However, I don't know where either pair of parents is from.  I assume they are from the Bray area.

Interestingly, I did come across an reference to a birth/baptism of Bridget Traynor to Patrick Traynor and Anna Kerwin on 13 August 1825 in the church at Kilmacanogue...

Does anyone know where I could begin to look for the marriage records for Patrick Traynor and Ann Kerwin and William Ivory and Catherine Kelly?   

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: RC Parish Marriage Records for IVORY/KELLY and TRAYNOR/KERWIN
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 November 10 20:38 GMT (UK) »
What's listed for residence of bride and groom on marriage certificate?

Have you found Michael and Catherine in 1901 and 1911 census? their counties of birth should be listed in each of them

Census records will also give an indication of their ages.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline zorbo77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 November 10 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Yes, on the 1911 Census, Michael is 69 years old and Catherine 68; both are from Wicklow but that's all it says.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 November 10 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately there are no parish marriage records for Co. Wicklow online at the moment, but the Irish Family History Foundation pay-website does currently have baptism details - hopefully they will add marriage details at some point.

The full RC records for Bray parish are available on microfilm in the National Library in Dublin. The film number is Pos. 9371. I've viewed these this films for my own family and most of the details are quite clear, but details included on earlier marriages (pre c1850) are quite limited.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline zorbo77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 November 10 20:45 GMT (UK) »
What I have is a Certificate of Marriage issued by the Holy Redeemer this year.  I don't see anything about the residence of the bride and groom.

Offline zorbo77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 November 10 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Wow, Shane.  You even know the microfilm number! :)  It may still be worth a try to see if I can find a record.

Perhaps this should be a different topic (you can let me know), but how would I go about finding death records for these guys, at least for Michael and Catherine Traynor who were married in the Holy Redeemer?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 November 10 20:50 GMT (UK) »
What I have is a Certificate of Marriage issued by the Holy Redeemer this year.  I don't see anything about the residence of the bride and groom.

It might be worth investing in a civil cert as that should give residences for the bride and groom and also occupations for the fathers. The residence could say just 'Bray', but might include a proper address or townland name.

I'm pretty sure I've seen the Ivory surname mentioned as a witness or sponsor on some records of my own family - they lived near Bray in Ballywaltrin (also with Kilmacanogue connections).

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 November 10 20:56 GMT (UK) »
how would I go about finding death records for these guys, at least for Michael and Catherine Traynor who were married in the Holy Redeemer?

For death certs you can search the Civil BMD Index - see : Introduction to Irish Records

You can usually eliminate some of the possible results by checking the age at death included on the index. The registration district for Bray is Rathdown, but this also includes other parts of north Co. Wicklow and a section of South East Co. Dublin.

The Bray RC parish records go back to 1792, and definitely worth a look if you can get to the National Library.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 November 10 21:33 GMT (UK) »
The marriage seems to be recorded in the Civil register in 1870 :

Name: Catherine Ivory
 Registration District: Rathdown
 Event Type: Marriage
 Year: 1870
 volume : 17 / page : 863

Name: Michael Traynor
 [same index references]

Shane
My Surname Interests