Author Topic: Mystery .. surname: Lee  (Read 1528 times)

Offline Ken S

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mystery .. surname: Lee
« on: Saturday 13 November 10 17:48 GMT (UK) »
 I have 3 daughters all born Doncaster area W Yorks, all Stephenson ... Alice 1842 / Elizabeth 1845 & Eleanor about 1854. Their parents were Henry Stephenson (farmer of Branton, Cantley parish.. Doncaster) and Mary Ann Hill.
 In the 1891 / 1901 / 1911 census, I can find Alice (Toothill) at Branton in Cantley and sister Eleanor (Lake) at Winterton in Norfolk .. but I can not find Elizabeth (in either of these 3 census)
 So I am on a search for Elizabeth Lee (nee: Stephenson), born Doncaster 1845 .. in Dec 1881 she married  Charles Lee at Doncaster .. and I am told they had dau's Nellie and Alice .. in the 1901 census Nellie is 18 and with her Aunt: Eleanor Lake... back at Winterton, Norfolk
 The father (Henry Stephenson) died at Branton in 1882 ... with his will , stating... "my daughter Elizabeth the wife of Charles Lee of Oldcoates in the County of Nottingham 'Joiner'.'
 I do not know when either Elizth or husband: Charles died (or where) .. and I only know that they were in Notts at the time of the will, in 1882.
 So I was thinking finding then in 1891 - 1911 census .. might give me some answers
 In pre 1891 census's Elizth is yet unmarried and with her Dad (Henry) at Branton W Yorks
William Stephenson - born 1814 at Doncaster West Yorkshire - married Mary Scott at Cottingham East Yorkshire (Hull) in 1838. Williams parents I believe were another Wm Stephenson and an Alice Carter - married Cantley Parish W Yorks (Doncaster) in 1811..... Other east riding names are Nicholls (Bridlington, Yorks and Wigan Lancs.) and the surname Withernwick.

Offline Mort29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery .. surname: Lee
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 November 10 18:07 GMT (UK) »
1891 - How about ?

RG12; Piece: 3867; Folio 75; Page 8 - Branton

the right combination of names, PoBs and ages
 ask if you dont have access and I can transcribe

============================================= TRANSCRIPTION AS REQUESTED:-

Living at Branton Hamlet, The Square.

Charles Lee 34 Head of Household born Doncaster: Wheelwright & Joiner
Elizabeth Lee 40 Wife born Notts, Oldcoats
Nellie Lee 8 dau born Branton
Alice A Lee 5 dau ditto

Offline Ken S

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 November 10 19:16 GMT (UK) »
 No I only have 1881 (through familysearch) .. so would like very much the 1891 trans.
If Elizabeth was born (as I think in 1845) she would have to be 46 in 1891. Possibly both parents ( Charles & Elizabeth) died before the 1901 census .. I just do not know .. I do know that the one girl that they had is found here in 1901 ...
   Isaac Lake age: 49 Teacher-School  Salop Dommington
   Eleanor  "            47     Teacher         Yorks Cantley
   Nellie Lee  niece  18                           Nottingham Oldcoates

** sooo if Nellie is here (Norfolk) in 1901 .. I wonder where her sister Alice Lee is (I am told that Nellie married late in life .. but had no family and Alice remained single)

This is a typed transcription of the original letter (which was wrote in pen)
William Stephenson - born 1814 at Doncaster West Yorkshire - married Mary Scott at Cottingham East Yorkshire (Hull) in 1838. Williams parents I believe were another Wm Stephenson and an Alice Carter - married Cantley Parish W Yorks (Doncaster) in 1811..... Other east riding names are Nicholls (Bridlington, Yorks and Wigan Lancs.) and the surname Withernwick.

Offline Ken S

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 November 10 23:40 GMT (UK) »
 I was on 'Chatterbox' and someone found Charles and Elizabeth Lee in Cantley W Yorks  in 1891 (just as you said) and in Rossigton W Yorks in 1901. Does anybody have access to the 1911 census .. to see if they are also found on there. I am trying to find when both Charles and Elizabeth would have died.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 November 10 10:23 GMT (UK) »
I'm sorry but 1911 census requests are not allowed - please see here:

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,355484.0.html

The index is free to search and there are lots of suggestions on this thread:

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,492718.0.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Mort29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 November 10 10:39 GMT (UK) »
1891 transcribed in original post.

For 1901, as expected, Nellie not with the Family.

1901 RG13; Piece: 4415; Folio: 130; Page: 1 Yorks, Rossington

Charles Lee 43 Head of Household born Yorks, Tickhill: Wheelwright
Elizabeth Lee 49 Wife born Doncaster
Alice Lee 15 dau born Branton

I can confirm from the Free Index, that Charles and Elizabeth were still alive and in the Branton area 10 years later

Offline Mort29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 November 10 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Did you see the updates Ken?

Offline Ken S

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 November 10 19:40 GMT (UK) »
 Yes .. thankyou. I see it lists Charles birth as Tickhill .. trade: wheelwright ... I think that is the first I have got that info.