Author Topic: David Howell, born abt 1835 Llannon  (Read 4786 times)

Offline eac61

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
David Howell, born abt 1835 Llannon
« on: Saturday 13 November 10 18:52 GMT (UK) »
My Great Great parents were David Howell born abt 1835/1836 in Llannon, Carmarthenshire and Anne Ungoed (have come across a few variations of spelling) who was born in 1841 in Bedwellty, Monmouthshire.  They married in Cardiff in 1864.  The first census after this time 1871 he has just taken a new job at Llwynypia Railway station and the census shows him as living in the public house next door - his wife and family are still living in Cardiff - but join him later and appear on all later census records.

When David Howell died the obituary in the local paper said he had migrated to Glamorgan from Carmarthenshire on attaining the age of man - Im not really sure what would have been considered the age of man at that time ??? It also says that the funeral service was held at St Andrews Church, Llwynypia - Church of Wales.   I am actually trying to find David's birth so that I can order his birth certificate and clarify who his parents are, I have tried finding him on census records for 1841 1851 1861 with no success ...   

Powell - Ton Pentre
Phillips - Llwynypia
Howell - Llannon/Llwynypia/Cardiff/Pennsylvania,USA
Ungoeds - Llannon,Carmarthenshire/Australia

Offline Cal241

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • does my butt look big in this?
    • View Profile
Re: David Howell, born abt 1835 Llanon(Llannon)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 November 10 19:04 GMT (UK) »
I know this may sound an obvious question but do you have  a copy of the wedding certificate?? It will give his fathers name ..
Cal  8)
UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk                Bigg-Sheppey/West Ham<br />Dodd - Cheshire <br />Ingram - Dorset, London, Morlaix, Australia, California<br />Kerfoot - Warrington, Pemberton, St Asaph<br />McKinneley - N Ireland, Liverpool <br />Marshall - Midlothian, Cheshire<br />Morrish-Chelsea<br />Shiel - Melrose<br />Woodhall- Liverpool, Shropshire/Staffordshire<br />Dagliesh- Melrose<br />Stevenson - Melrose<br />Smith & Jones! Scotland & Wales

Offline eac61

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 November 10 19:06 GMT (UK) »
No, I havent got it as I knew Anne's Fathers name and I think I know his Fathers name, I think his Father is also David, but what I am really trying to find out is both Mother and Fathers names and Mothers maiden name which is the reason I was hoping to find trace of his birth
Powell - Ton Pentre
Phillips - Llwynypia
Howell - Llannon/Llwynypia/Cardiff/Pennsylvania,USA
Ungoeds - Llannon,Carmarthenshire/Australia

Offline Cal241

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • does my butt look big in this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 November 10 19:29 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering as I found a David Howell in 1841 aged 5. Parents David and Anne siblings Rees and Evan. All born in Carmarthenshire, living  in 'Langadock' (which I think could be Llangadog)

UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk                Bigg-Sheppey/West Ham<br />Dodd - Cheshire <br />Ingram - Dorset, London, Morlaix, Australia, California<br />Kerfoot - Warrington, Pemberton, St Asaph<br />McKinneley - N Ireland, Liverpool <br />Marshall - Midlothian, Cheshire<br />Morrish-Chelsea<br />Shiel - Melrose<br />Woodhall- Liverpool, Shropshire/Staffordshire<br />Dagliesh- Melrose<br />Stevenson - Melrose<br />Smith & Jones! Scotland & Wales

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Howell, born abt 1835 Llannon
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 November 10 23:30 GMT (UK) »
My Great Great parents were David Howell born abt 1835/1836 in Llannon, Carmarthenshire...... I am actually trying to find David's birth so that I can order his birth certificate and clarify who his parents are....

As he was born 1835/6 at Llannon, you won't be able to get his birth certificate (pre-GRO) so you will need the Parish records for Llannon Church.

Llangadog is not that close to Llannon so unless it gives Llannon as pob I don't think this would be the right David.  :-\

The correct registration district for Llannon would be Llanelly, Carms. However LDS submission says 1841 at Llanfynydd (Llandilo Fawr district), Carms and 1851 Llanelly, Carms

Morgan

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 November 10 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen the info on LDS site:
David Howell born Sep 1835 Llanon, Carmarthenshire, died 28 Nov 1907, buried
3 Dec 1907 Trealaw Cemetery, Glamorgan
Parents: David and Anne Howell
Spouse: Ann Hungod (Ungoed). Married 22 Mar 1864 Cardiff, Glamorgan

David Howell born about 1811 Llanelli and wife Anne born about 1813 Llanelli

You can see submitter details on the site.

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 November 10 00:01 GMT (UK) »
David Howell Senior was with his daughter and son-in-law William and Ann Jenkins at 9 London Row. Michaelstone Super Avon, Glamorgan in 1881

David's occupation Copper smelter

RG11 Piece 5337 Folio 47 Page 33

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 November 10 00:09 GMT (UK) »
IGI has extracted record for Christening of Harriet Howell, daughter of David and Anne, at Llannon on 27th May 1834.

Also marriage of David Howell and Ann Davies at Llanelly on 8th Dec 1829 - a possibility.

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 November 10 00:22 GMT (UK) »
1841 with David, Anne, David and Hariet was John age 1. He was born within civil registration period, so you should be able to obtain his birth certificate to verify Anne's maiden name. Birth would have been registered Llanelly. You would be best to contact Carmarthen giving all the details you have.  :)

There are 2 possibilities in freebmd:
1839 (Mar Q) Llanelly volume 26 page 537
1841 (Mar Q) Llanelly volume 26 page 584