Author Topic: Yeomanry Arms list for 1844 - where can I find it????  (Read 1576 times)

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Yeomanry Arms list for 1844 - where can I find it????
« on: Sunday 14 November 10 07:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Does anyone know of any places that I can find the 'yeomanry arms list 1844' or a similar listing (any year), particularly for county wexford?
This source is meant to list people in the county.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Yeomanry Arms list for 1844 - where can I find it????
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 November 10 11:24 GMT (UK) »
There's a list on Google Books - in a parliamentary publication titled 'Accounts and Papers - 1844'

It mentions a total for Co. Wexford of 329, but only lists names for the 8 people that registered more than 'One Stand of Yeomanry Arms' in their possession (sorry no idea what that means) - see  : link

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 November 10 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Shanew. I had a look at it, and conclude that it must be the same list that the website irishfamilyhistory has listed. Although, their description was misleading, as it says it lists everyone in the county with ownership of a gun (which, back it 1844, I would have imagined might have been many people!). I would have paid for a subscription to their site, just going by what they wrote. But probably wouldn't have found what I was expecting. You have saved me some money LOL.
Many thanks, Katharine.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 November 10 11:45 GMT (UK) »
It's well worth searching google books for this sort of information, as they have digitized a large number of old books - and are continually adding more, so might be worth re-checking in a few months.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 November 10 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Shane - do you have any idea where I can get Ferns Marriage Licence Indexes for the 1750s through to the 1830s?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 November 10 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Shane - do you have any idea where I can get Ferns Marriage Licence Indexes for the 1750s through to the 1830s?

I've seen a few small index lists of marriage licences during searches - but nothing for the Diocese of Ferns. Will keep an eye out ..

Maybe someone else has come across something ?

Shane
My Surname Interests