Author Topic: The April 2005 Rootschat Challenge  (Read 50876 times)

Paul E

Re: The April 2005 Rootschat Challenge
« Reply #99 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 17:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking Sue!

Paul

Offline BlandTree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 23:18 BST (UK) »
OK,
not sure from this thread who else I should be looking for in 1906.
I didn't see Abraham Lionel Gilpin Bland.
Could someone summarize who we are expecting to be in Canada?

Abraham Lionel Gilpin BLAND should be in Canada in 1906:

No he shouldn't!  Abraham seemed not to like his name and he did not use it in Canada.  He was simply Lionel Gilpin Bland in 1906.  You may find him on his smallholding in Pengarth, Sakatchewan, in 1906.  According to his sworn statement he lived on this piece of land from June 1st to November 1st 1905 and from June 30th continuously from that date.  In between these dates he worked in Regina, but I do not know what work he did.  Family legend suggests that he was a fireman with the CPR but I think he may have been a warehouseman [as he was doing this work in 1916].  I do not know on which date the Canadian census was taken.

Thanks again for all your troubles.

Malcolm Bland

Malcolm Bland:
From 1904 until at least 1908 he farmed a homestead in Pengarth.
Source: http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/message/an/localities.northam.canada.saskatchewan.regina/540
Adkins, Alford, Alfred, Allford, Armitt, Atkins, Atkinson, Berry, Blackberry. Blackbury, BLAND, Boaden, Boardman, Bowden, Carpenter, Lister, Malsbury, Mason, McAra, Mawle, Mery, Mold, Newth, Pargitter, Park, Pritchard, Quiney, Quinney, Rawlinson, Rollinson, Rowlinson, Rowledge, Sprute, Stuart, Sugden, Tyler

Offline sjsbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Wednesday 20 April 05 03:29 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have looked through the images on the 1906 census which (I think) covers Pengarth.

Found him, the entry reads,

Bland, Lionel, servant, male, single, 50, born in England, year of immigration to Canada 1904, post office address Pengarth,

the age actually looks like it was originally a different number ?20 or 30 with a heavy 5 written over the first digit

Head Cecil Edmonson, male, single, 23, born England, immigration year 1903,
section 15, range 23, township 23, meridian w, horses 3, cows -, cattle -, sheep -, pigs 1.

Province:  Saskatchewan 
 District Name:  Assiniboia West District 
 District Number:  12 
 District Description:  Assiniboia West
Sub-district Number:  32 A 
 Reference: RG31 , Statistics Canada 
 Microfilm Reel Number:  T-18358 
Page 22

The census for this area was taken on July 7 1906

Sue
SCOTLAND: Scotland, Morrison, Bonnella, Third,
LINCOLNSHIRE: Bell, King, Emerson, Leesing, Canty, Cutting, Fox,
GLOUCESTERSHIRE: Antill, Onslow, Crook, Jenkins,
LANCASHIRE: Hall, Mayson, Dearden,
WILTSHIRE: Sloper, King, Willis, Stockwell,
ESSEX: Stone, Webb, Smith, Hawkins, Frye,
SOMERSET: Harrison, Jones,

Paul E

« Reply #102 on: Wednesday 20 April 05 07:23 BST (UK) »
Well done, Sue!   Looks as if, just like the Mounties, you always get your man :)

best wishes

Paul

Offline Rowdy Jnr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Wednesday 20 April 05 10:31 BST (UK) »
Esholt Lies between Shipley and Guiseley West Yorkshire.

The Pub in the village was called the Commercial for many years but due to a succesful TV programme the Name was changed to the Woolpack.  Emmerdale.
I believe filming no longer takes place at the pub as a set was built instead.

The only other thing I can tell you is that Esholt stinks in the summer due to the large sewerage works that now sits on it's outskirts.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Clark,Clarke,Kitson,Firth,Aked,Robinson,Senior,Towers,Heaton,Lee,Smith,Tattersal,Aldersley,Tempest,Priestley,Wood,Glaister and many more.

Bingley, Keighley,Haworth,Elslack,Carlton,Lothersdale,Skipton,Bradford, West Yorkshire.
Arkholme, Croston,Lancaster,Lancashire.
Longtown,Whitehaven,Carlisle,Cumberland.

Offline BlandTree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Wednesday 20 April 05 11:20 BST (UK) »
All this is wonderful news, Sue.  Thanks for all your endeavours.  The surprise is that Lionel is listed as a servant and living with a Cecil Edmonson.  This may be a huge clue as to why Lionel and Frank emigrated to Canada in 1904.  Cecil had only emigrated himself in 1903 so he may have been the catalyst for Frank and Lionel.  I must serach for this Cecil Edmnson in Englad in 1901 to see if they might have known each other.  Meanwhile, I wonder if I might trouble you again, Sue.  Would you check to see who else was living in the Edmonson household in 1906?

I am attaching some notes on Lionel's homesteading exploits and I believe that it shows that he is not so successful at it as Ceil Edmonson.  Perhaps Lionel was living with Cecil in 1906 because he had no house built on his own land?  But why was he a servant?  He built his own house in September 1906, just a few months after the census.

NOTES on LIONEL'S HOMESTEAD:
In a sworn statement in application for a homestead , under the provisions of the “Dominions Land Act”, dated 13th July 1908 [and granted 6th August 1908], Lionel Gilpin Bland, who no longer uses the name of Abraham, gives the following information:

Age 32.  Occupation, farmer.  Address, Pengarth.  Obtained entry for this homestead, 26th September 1904.  Took up residence 1st June 1905.  Built his house September 1906.  Resided June 1st 1905 to 1st November 1905 and from 30th June continuously to date of this application. 

The application is stamped “No Seed Grain Incumbrance” 24th July 1906.

He declares he is unmarried.  His work on the homestead is as follows:
1905, broke 6 acres, cropped nil.
1906, broke no acres, cropped none.
1907, broke 10 acres, cropped 6 acres.

He states that in 1907 he had 3 cattle and I have a phopto of him standing with them yoked and pulling a cart.  In the cart is a lady who I believe to be his sister in law, Clara.  This leads me to assume that his brother Frank took the photo.

He also states that he has built a frame house measuring 10 x 12 [feet?] worth $70 and a stable [sod] measuring 18 x 12 worth $25.  He has erected 32 acres of fencing worth £20.  He has no other homestead and has no mortgage on this homestead.

This statement was sworn before the Local Agent for Dominion Lands for the Regina District at Pengarth on the 21st day November 1907.

I have no idea why it took until 13th July 1908 for it to be recommended or 6th August 1908 for it to be accepted as sufficient.

I have no information between 1908 and 1916 when Lionel enlists for the Canadian Expeditionary Forces and gives his address as 862 Angus Street, Regina and his occupation as Warehouseman.  What can have happened in these eight years?

Malcolm Bland
Adkins, Alford, Alfred, Allford, Armitt, Atkins, Atkinson, Berry, Blackberry. Blackbury, BLAND, Boaden, Boardman, Bowden, Carpenter, Lister, Malsbury, Mason, McAra, Mawle, Mery, Mold, Newth, Pargitter, Park, Pritchard, Quiney, Quinney, Rawlinson, Rollinson, Rowlinson, Rowledge, Sprute, Stuart, Sugden, Tyler

Paul E

« Reply #105 on: Wednesday 20 April 05 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Malcolm

With little over a week to go with the April Challenge, I am sure fellow Rootschatters will indulge you if you have any loose ends you think can be tied up...

I'm sure we would also be interested in Abraham's grandparents.

In fact, you've probably gathered... we share a love of hunting out anything!

best wishes

Paul

Paul E

« Reply #106 on: Wednesday 20 April 05 12:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,

In 1871 the family are in Sale

John Bland     48      market gardener      b Ersholt  CORK !!!
Eliza               34                                      b Barnsley CORK !!!
John                 1                                      b Sale
William             2mths                              b Sale

Can't read the name of the road I'll leave that to someone else

Sue

Looks like they're still in Washway Road, but at no 130, in 1871

Other Blands born in Esholt showing in the 1871 censuses are:

Margaret Bland - wife of Charles, and son David, in the following family, in Baildon, Yorkshire

Charles Bland, b1826,  Head, Worsted Overlooker, Baildon  Yorkshire   
David Bland, b1854,   Son,  Cotton Twister, Esholt,  Yorkshire   
Fred Bland, b1867,   Son,  Worsted Spinner, Baildon  Yorkshire   
James Bland b1861,  Son,  Worsted Spinner, Baildon  Yorkshire   
Jesse Bland, b1864,  Son,  Scholar, Baildon  Yorkshire   
John Bland b1858,    Son,  Baildon  Yorkshire   
Matilda Bland b1835,  Wife,  Esholt  Yorkshire 

Interestingly, David Bland appears also in the 1881 and 1891 censuses (indexed in 1891 as Daria ;) but pointedly not in 1901 (at least not using an Esholt search)

Not sure of the distance from Esholt to Baildon - anyone help?

Paul

Offline XPhile2868

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Wednesday 20 April 05 12:14 BST (UK) »
According to the map at multimap.com, Baildon is about 10 miles to the NE of Bradford, but i cant find Esholt anywhere.
Smith (Lancashire), McKenna (Ireland/Liverpool/Leyland), Maynard (Hertfordshire/London/Preston), Ricketts (Gloucestershire/Wigan/Preston), Scowcroft (Preston), Harling (N. Yorkshire/Lancashire), Willis (Preston), Clegg (Manchester/Preston), Dodd (Wigan/Cheshire), Alston (Lancashire), Hulks (Hertfordshire), Nicholson (Lancashire/Cumbria), Russell (Lancashire), Wilson (Cumbria), Bracewell (Lancashire), Moxham (Lancashire0

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk