Author Topic: Durham to Sth Africa  (Read 1358 times)

Offline hinton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Durham to Sth Africa
« on: Sunday 14 November 10 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Have been searching for info on an ancestor who spent some time in Sth Africa and notice that a R/Chatter had success by help with info from Find my Past.
Could I get some info please on Walter Ducros bn Birmingham 1877.
He must have travelled prior to 1901 census to Sth Africa, followed after the census by his wife Elizabeth and 2 daughters at a later date as a daughter was bn there in 1903.

In 1901 only his wife Elizabeth b1880 and 2 daughters are listed living in Durham.
From the 1911 census I find that there are several additions to the family one being a daughter bn 1903  in Bronkhorstpuit, Sth Africa. By 1905 they are bk at Sth Shields where the rest of their family are born.

Thanks,
Hinton

Offline Jolly Roger

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Durham to Sth Africa
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 November 10 22:20 GMT (UK) »
I have sent a PM to Hinton in which I foundhopefully the wife and daughters travelling to South Africa in 1902, but there is no sign of a Walter.

JR
Lowson, Hodgson, Dent, Townson, Simpson, Brown, Bruce, and many more.

Offline hinton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 November 10 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I have acknowledged  Jolly Rodgers p/m. He has been able to find the wife, although there is no initial   given for her, I am fairly sure its her as the initials of the other 2 Ducros fit those of the daughters.

Apparantly  there is no sign of Walter.  I am wondering if he is down as Percy which is his middle name or P.W. Ducros.
Still hoping,
Hinton.

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for GG Grandad... Must have GSH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 November 10 23:34 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if Walter might have gone to South Africa with the Army for the 2nd Boer War 1899-1902, and his family joined him after the war.

I have searched the military records on Ancestry (I don't have a subscription) and found a record for a Waller Percy Ducros (sic) born 3 May 1878, Birmingham. The record seems to relate to Canadian WW1 soldiers 1914-1918. It also mentions Mrs E Ducros.

Colin

Offline billslad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 November 10 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hinton

Following on from Colin's post, the "Boer War 1899-1902" dataset on Findmypast has the following record

Name DU CROSS  WP
Rank  Railway Employee
Soldier No. [blank]
Unit   Imperial Military Railway

Not very informative but it may be your Walter Percy

John

Offline hinton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 November 10 04:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guys,

Amazing!!!!Yes, that is   Walter  bn in Birmingham c 1877.   Was he feeling patriotic to take him out of his comfort zone and go the Boer War.  Not sure whether the Imperial Military Railway unit would have been involved in fighting. Then for his wife Elizabeth to join him with 2 young children.  I see the war ended in 1902, and their next child was bn in Sth Africa in 1903, so either he came home because he was demobbed, or they were homesick.
I have noted the spelling du cross of their surname. 
Great work,
Thanks again,
Hinton

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 December 10 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Walter  Percy Ducros had his birth registered in Birmingham June Qtr 1877 and as 21825 Walter Percy Ducross he enlisted into the Canadian Army at Valcartier, Quebec. According to his Canadian Attestation, 23 SEP 1914, he was born 3 MAY 1878 (sic). Walter Percy's civilian occupation was a Waiter, He served 3 1/2 years as a Military Telegraphist in the South African War, but did not state that he was attached to any Regiment in the war. He states that his wife was Mrs. E. Ducross of 109 Bolingbroke Street, Heaton, Newcastle-on-Tyne. [Bolingbroke Street is still existing but whether 109 is there is not known]. His parents are Amenza and Emily Ducross [1881 Census]. Walter Percy was married to Elizabeth Smith 1 SEP 1897, St. Hilda, South Shields, County Durham. His father Amanza Ducross.  Railways were part of the War in South Africa. Remember Winston Churchill and his capture by the Boers after he got off the Armoured Train.

Offline hinton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 December 10 07:19 GMT (UK) »

Thankyou Barry. I`m pleased I left this open a little longer.  Walter obviously had `itchy feet` when it came to going to war.  Home from the Boer war, fathered more children, then off again to Canada.  So many why`s?
Wife still in the UK, and he is in Canada, perhaps working, as he wouldn't`t have needed to go there to enlist.
Not a young man at 36 to join up straight away.  Will have to check if he actually saw combat.  He was fairly young when he married. so could be he was looking for some excitement....
Thanks again,
Hinton