Author Topic: Walter REEVES  (Read 2416 times)

Offline Briagh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Walter REEVES
« on: Monday 15 November 10 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Anyone researching Reeves of Launton lines through Yorkshire? At least one, Walter E born 1864 in Steventon Berks. son of Henry and Caroline Reeves (my g.grandparents) left Hull (?) Yorks following the death of parents around 1911 to emigrate to Australia to work in an opal mine. Sorry to be so sketchy but I'd love to find him. This was a railway family in the 2nd half of 19th century and they moved around the UK settling eventually in Doncaster, Hull and Grimsby.

Thanks in anticipation
Briagh
Adams Hunt Sheffield Neath,  Sutton in Ashfield
Jones Madeley, Dawley Shropshire Doncaster Yorks
Jenks Shropshire
Reeves Launton Oxon Saltburn Cleveland Doncaster Yorks
Roughton March Cambs Saltburn Cleveland

Offline janinez

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Walter REEVES
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 November 10 03:51 GMT (UK) »
I can only find one record for Walter leaving england and that is in 1912 from london to NSW Australia.

Ship is Orama,

Arrived 5 December 1912 above Walter's anme on the passenger list their is a Benjamin and it looks like Reeeves to me, brother maybe??

Do you have the census for them??

Janine
Ellis, Coll, Ward, Toovey, Tait, Stone, Fowler, Stephenson, Dry, Townsend, Walters, Grainger,

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 November 10 04:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Briagh,

Where is Walter after 1881? I am having trouble spotting him, though I can see the family moving around. Sorry the Walter on the ORAMA does not appear to be the correct person as he was a 20 year old labourer in 1912. Your Walter would be 48.

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Briagh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 November 10 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Thanks everyone for searching. I don't know what happened to Walter after 1881, maybe he emigrated then and not after 1911. I think that the Walter that you found was a later generation as my parents used to talk about him. Perhaps I'm getting confused here :(
The Launton Reeves were a huge family with generations of males using the English Naming Pattern so names often recur. I haven't subscribed to the 1911 and I'm impatiently waiting for it to become free to search in January ;D

I'll keep searching and posting and see what we come up with. It would be lovely to find an ancestor from our Australian emigrees.

Briagh
Adams Hunt Sheffield Neath,  Sutton in Ashfield
Jones Madeley, Dawley Shropshire Doncaster Yorks
Jenks Shropshire
Reeves Launton Oxon Saltburn Cleveland Doncaster Yorks
Roughton March Cambs Saltburn Cleveland