Author Topic: IZETT or IZATT from Walcot, Somerset  (Read 4123 times)

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
IZETT or IZATT from Walcot, Somerset
« on: Monday 15 November 10 03:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Listers,

I have located the family of James Izett and Harriet Prater/Prator at Blue Lodge, Walcot in 1841.  George is aged 40 and Harriet is 35.  The family consists of George aged 15, James aged 12, Mary aged 10, Wm aged 8, John aged 4, Samuel aged 3 and Harriet aged 8 mths.

I have managed to find baptisms online for John, Samuel and Harriet but nothing seems available for the older children.  I wonder does anyone have access to the Walcot parish records and could do a look-up for the marriage of James and Harriet (abt 1825?) and establish if any baptism records are there for the children please.

I'm told that Harriet Prator was baptised at St Michael, Bath 01 Jun 1800 with parents Samuel Prator and Mary May?  I've not verified this as yet but I would like to know if there is a baptism record for James Izett as I have not yet been able to find out his parentage in order to go that further generation back... because his death record eludes me too!

My research is mostly in Scotland where this family eventually ends up so the English records are a bit strange to me.  I hope someone can help me out.

With thanks,
Sage.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: IZETT or IZATT from Walcot, Somerset
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 November 10 08:01 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried FreeREG? www.freereg.org.uk  I'm told that the majority of Walcot records have been transcribed, although there are some gaps between 1800 and 1837.

BumbleB
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 November 10 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi BumbleB,
Yes, I made sure I checked all the likely places first...nothing on IGI either so thought it was best to try this forum where folks might have some better knowledge of the genealogy scene in Somerset. 
Thanks for the reply,
Heather.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 November 10 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Good luck.  I'm told that the gaps in Walcot are 1801-1818, 1822-24, 1832-34 but that the work is ongoing and gaps should be filled soon.

Sue
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 November 10 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks BumbleB,
I'll keep an eye on that and hope in the meantime that someone might have some insight into the Izett family.
Cheers, Heather.

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 November 10 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Good luck.  I'm told that the gaps in Walcot are 1801-1818, 1822-24, 1832-34 but that the work is ongoing and gaps should be filled soon.

Those are actually the gaps in the burial transcriptions. The baptism transcriptions have fewer gaps but still some. They can be obtained by joining the Yahoo group for the Bath Forum Hundred (i.e. Bath and surrounding parishes)  http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/bathforumhundred/

St Swithin Baptisms 1832 - 1837.xls   Transcribed by Tony Evans    470 KB   Sep 24, 2009
St Swithin Baptisms Feb 1863- 2 Jun 1867.xls Transcribed by Tony Evans  265 KB     Aug 10, 2009
St Swithins Baptisms 2 Jun 1867- 4 Jan 1872.xls  Transcribed by Tony Evans  284 KB   Jan 4, 2010
Walcot St Swithin baptisms 07Apr1830-06Apr1831.xls  Transcribed by Karen Hailstone 404 KB  Jul 31, 2009
Walcot St Swithin baptisms 1773-1779.xls  Transcribed by Anne Davis 608 KB Jan 1, 2009
Walcot St Swithin baptisms 1801-1819revised.xls Transcribed by Trish Jamieson , Sheilia Ferris ,Gerald Goode, Vicki Danielson,
                                                                   and Christine Bennett  3110 KB  Jul 24, 2009
Walcot St Swithin Baptisms 1827-Apr1830rev.xls  Transcribed by Sheilia Ferris, Mary Robinson, & Andy Phillips 918 KB  Jul 24, 2009
Walcot St Swithin baptisms May 1835 - 1837.xls   Transcribed by Grace Wilmott, Karen Bradley, Jeanne Winters
                                                                    & Christine Bennett      314 KB   Jan 2, 2009
Walcot St Swithin baptisms Nov 1820 1824.xls     Transcribed by Christine Bennett  471 KB Nov 27, 2008
Walcot St Swithins Baptisms 9 Dec 1838-15 Mar 1840.xls  Transcribed by Tony Evans  179 KB     May 28, 2010
Walcot St Swithins Baptisms April 1831-1 Jan 1832.xls  Transcribed by Tony Evans 119 KB  Feb 26, 2010

FreeREG uses the same transcriptions but it can be helpful to have the whole files. You can do more cpmplex searches or even read them right through. You might spot an unusual spelling which a Soundex search missed.

Having said that, I can't see any variation of Izatt in the files for 1820-40. It would be unlikley that all the children fell into the gaps, suggesting they lived elsewhere or they were non-conformists.

David

Oops, I didn't look very carefully, there is one at Walcot:

25 Jun 1837   Samuel   M   James   Harriett   IZETT

There is also this baptism at Weston (a village on the edge of Bath):

24 Jan 1836   John   m   James   Harriet   IZETT   Weston   Pensioner

but I see you've already found them.

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 November 10 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,
Thanks for giving me a rundown on the available baptisms...I'll be sure and look into it further.  It is strange that FreeReg only had the two baptisms and not the earlier ones.  Hopefully, I can get to the bottom of it.
Thanks again,
Heather.

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 November 10 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heather,

I was at Bath Library today. They have a complete index to the Walcot Baptisms 1813-1837. I'm afraid the only Izetts are Samuel in 1837 and  two much earlier - Hester 1815 and John 1816, children of William and Anne (Issitt). It seems the older children of James and Harriet must have been born elsewhere.

I notice that at John's baptism at Weston, James is described as a Pensioner. Since he was only in his 30s, that suggests to me an ex-soldier. Chelsea Pensioner records are available from FindMyPast. I don't have a subscription, but you can search without. The nearest I can see are a James Izat born Dunferline 1817 - rather late, but interesting given your family ended up in Scotland - and a James Izod (no date given). To see their full records you need to subscribe or buy credits.  There are also some hits in the Army births section. If the older children can't be found anywhere in the UK perhaps they were born abroad.

Incidentally, Blue Lodge was near the boundary between Walcot and Weston parishes. The family was probably living in the same area, maybe even the same house, when they baptised John as Samuel.

David

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 November 10 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,

Thanks so much for taking the extra time and trouble to do further look-ups for me.  James is described as a hawker/packman in references to him on his children's marriages and deaths.  It's  a bit difficult to get much of a picture of him...he's only on the 1841 census described as a labourer and he's dead before the 1851 census.
There is a large family of Izetts in the Dunfermline area of Fife but I don't know if they are related to the Somerset Izetts or not.  Plenty to do as yet!
Thanks again for all your efforts,
Heather.