Author Topic: Could there have been more children?  (Read 1923 times)

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Could there have been more children?
« on: Monday 15 November 10 09:41 GMT (UK) »
My great-grandparents, Christina & Duncan Mackenzie, had three children that I know of, but I just wonder if there could have been more, as there seems to be quite a gap between the first and the second - but how would I be able to find out.

Christina & Duncan married on the 18th November 1874 in Ullapool. His normal residence was Stornoway and her usual residence was Rireabach.

Nine months later. on the 8th August 1875, their first son, Murdoch was born at Rireabach.

Their second child (my grandmother) Mary Ann, was born on the 3rd April in Shore Street, Ullapool.

Their third child, Kenneth John, was born on the 1st June 1881, again in Shore Street, Ullapool.

A gap of five years from 1875 until 1880 makes me think there could have been another child.

I know that in the family home in Rireabach, there was a death from TB in 1877 which makes me again think that was why Christina and Duncan moved to Ullapool, as Murdoch would only have been two years old when TB was in the home.

How could I find out if there had been another child born, and even died, within that five years?

I have tried searching through Scotlands People, but there are pages and pages of Mackenzies in Lochbroom, and I can't find a way of narrowing down the search by being able to name the parents.
Researching the names Mckenzie / Mackenzie from Ross and Cromarty especially Scoraig and Rherivach.

The names Fraser, MacGillivary and Grant from Daviot & Dunlichity.

The name of Fraser from Lanarkshire.

The name of Bell from Northumberland.

The name Chilla / Chylla / Chyla from Poland.

Offline oldfashionedgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Could there have been more children?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 November 10 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Hopefully you will find out in April when the 1911 census is released. Assuming it is the same as in England there is a column asking Total no. of children born alive, children still living and children who have died
I looked it up for a friend and she was amazed to find her mother could be one of seven not two.
Otherwise I think the IGI tells you children born to named parents, I haven't done that yet but I believe its possible

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 November 10 16:58 GMT (UK) »
I think the IGI tells you children born to named parents

Sorry to be stupid, but what is the IGI  ???
Researching the names Mckenzie / Mackenzie from Ross and Cromarty especially Scoraig and Rherivach.

The names Fraser, MacGillivary and Grant from Daviot & Dunlichity.

The name of Fraser from Lanarkshire.

The name of Bell from Northumberland.

The name Chilla / Chylla / Chyla from Poland.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 November 10 23:28 GMT (UK) »
IGI is the International Genealogical Index, see www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true

It is a fantastic (and free!) resource and great for Scottish entries. Unfortunately, the Mormons stopped loading on Scottish data from around 1874-5....which is the period you are interested in  :-\

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk