Author Topic: HARE, Tullycorbet  (Read 2390 times)

Offline esteele

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HARE, Tullycorbet
« on: Friday 14 September 07 22:11 BST (UK) »
my ancester William Hare born about 1793 became a soldier in 28th Foot regiment for 25 years  married Mary from Truro Cornwall.  The records for his being a Chelsea Pensioner show he was born in Tullycorbet.   Can anyone help with his date of birth or baptism, and who his parents were. Thanks

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HARE, Tullycorbet
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 September 07 09:54 BST (UK) »
Birth registration did not start until 1864.
You need to know what religion he might have been and where the nearest church was to where he lived. Then you need to find if the church baptismal records go back to 1790s. Many church records are on microfilm and available from LDS- you can check their catalogue at www.familysearch.org and for a small fee order the film to be used at your local LDS library.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline esteele

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 September 07 18:01 BST (UK) »
Can anyone give me info on this man he is in the Diocese of Clogher as a Prebendary, what is that.  He was also on the Griffiths Valuation 1848-1864 at Terrygeely, Tullycorbet.  The only family of Hares in Tullycorbet.  I hope he is a relative of William Hare born 1793 who joined the British Army 1811 28th Foot Regiment b. Tullycorbet
Thanks

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 February 08 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello esteele,

A Prebendary is a post connected to an Anglican, or Catholic cathedral, or collegiate church and is a type of canon. Prebendaries have a role in the administration of the cathedral. A prebend is a type of benefice, which usually consisted of the income
from the cathedral estates.

When attending services in the cathedral where they are one of the team of clergy Prebendaries sit in particular seats, usually at the back of the choir stalls. These are known as Prebendal stalls.

Source: Wikipedia

Christopher