Author Topic: jones family of Ruthin area  (Read 3816 times)

Offline arcwest

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
jones family of Ruthin area
« on: Monday 15 November 10 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi,Am seeking any help looking for an Elizabeth jones ,one of 10 siblings ,father Robert Jones born Ruthin area 1846/7/8
She married a Thomas Peacock in Chester 1878 when her father was described as a shopkeeper
On the censuses after she married birth place is variously denbig,Llanure denbighshire, vale of clwyd and Ruthin
The llanure is probobly a yorkshire translation of something totally different
Birth year 1847in 1881,1847 in 1891,1847in 1901,1848 in 1911 and 1846 on the death certificate
Family gossip suggested that at one time the family lived in Mold but no idea if this is true
all help appreciated as there seems to be a lot of elizabeth Jones with a father robert  .Thanks

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: jones family of Ruthin area
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 November 10 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

You say she was one of 10 children - do you know the names/birthyears of any of her siblings which may help narrow the search
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 November 10 23:29 GMT (UK) »
A warm welcome to Rootschat Arcwest.I'm looking in the 1851 Census at an Elizabeth Jones born in Llanfwrog in c 1848 with father Robert given as born in Llanfair Denbighshire in c 1825 and mother Catherine given as born in Llanfwrog in c 1826.Elizabeth has a sister Sarah given as born in Llanfwrog in c 1850.Robert is given as a Butcher Journeyman.HO107/2504/158/27.

The only trouble is though I can't see the corresponding family again.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline arcwest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 November 10 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I don't know the namesof any of her siblings

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 November 10 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Where did you get the info from that she was one of 10 children
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline arcwest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 November 10 18:06 GMT (UK) »
I have a birthday as 22 july and a death date of 3 oct 1930
In 1901 she was living at Langdale chase lodge windermere with her husband a coachman and some of her children
The llanure came from the ancestry translation  of the census form   it could possibly be llanuse  the "s" and "r" being difficult to decipher  ..How would URE/USE  be spelled in Welsh?How is llanfwrog pronounced .Are some of the letters silent ? Thanks for all the help so far

Offline arcwest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 November 10 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Family gossip from my mum (born 1915) as Elizabeth's husband was one of 13 siblings  I don't know if she was called Beth  etc when she was little

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 November 10 18:31 GMT (UK) »

It would probably help to post the exact ref. of the census entry containing the place name that looks like "Llanure/Llanuse";  then others could try their own readings.

I wonder whether it could have been an English enumerator's attempt to write Llanynys (a parish in the Vale of Clwyd very close to Ruthin)?

Rol

(Crown and other relevant copyrights acknowledged, including - but without limitation to - census information from wwwnationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 November 10 19:43 GMT (UK) »
As far as how Llanfwrog is pronounced,I think its best if we forget the Llan bit.lolThe rest of it is pronounced voorog,voo as in boo,the og as in hog but without the H!

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk