Author Topic: Census search help please  (Read 1753 times)

Offline Birdbrain 1948

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Census search help please
« on: Wednesday 17 November 10 17:13 GMT (UK) »
I'm new to this site so can anyone advise me on how I find a relative on the 1851, 1861 and 1871 census records.  I know my gt grandfather (George Macdonald)was born and recorded in the Kingussie area in 1846 and I can locate him on the 1881 1891 1901 records, but try as I might I cannot find him in his early years.  ??? I have located his mother on the 1851 records, but George is not with her (he was illegitimate) and so I am thinking he must have been put with another family.  Any advice would be very welcome- thanks.  ;)
Macdonalds / Mackay around Kingussie / Newtonmore /Laggan area.
Grant around Abernethy

Offline Rodeo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Census search help please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 November 10 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello and welcome to Rootschat.

I presume your George was born in 1846. If so, the 1851 census shows a George Mcdonald (sic) living with his grandparents in High Street, Kingussie and Insh. The household is as follows:

John King, age 73, head, born abt 1778, Cromdale, Inverness, formerly farmer of 4 acres
Elizabeth King, 63, wife, born abt 1831, Kingussie, Inverness
Emily King, 20, daughter, born abt 1831, Kingussie, Inverness
John McDonald, 8, born abt 1843, Dudley, England, scholar
George McDonald, 6, born abt 1845, Dudley,England, scholar
Ann McDonald, 4, born abt 1847, Glasgow, scholar

Could this be your George?

Cheers,

Rodeo

Offline Rodeo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 November 10 10:00 GMT (UK) »
The 1861 Scotland census shows a George McDonald (sic), born abt 1847, Kingussie, Inverness, living with his Great Uncle and Great Aunt at Dunck Bridge, Abernethy and Kincardine, Moray. The household is as follows:

Samuel Grant, age 65, Head,born abt 1796, Rothiemurchus, Inverness, house carpenter
Sarah Grant, 64, wife, born abt 1797, Insch, Inverness
George McDonald, 14, great nephew, born abt 1847, Kingussie, Inverness, shepherd
Ann Grant, 4, granddaughter, born abt 1857, Cromdale, Inverness

Cheers,

Rodeo

Offline Rodeo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 November 10 10:21 GMT (UK) »
There is the following record in the 1871 Scotland census (address 41 Rose Street, Blythswood, Glasgow):

John K MacDonald, age 28, born abt 1843, England, mother's name Helen Macdonald, Manager, Sewing Machine Factory
Helen Macdonald, age 54, born abt 1817, Kingwater, Inverness
George Macdonald, 27, born abt 1847, England, boarder, Comm Clerk

Cheers,

Rodeo

Offline Birdbrain 1948

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 November 10 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Wow!  :)  Many thanks Rodeo.  Although I had seen these before, I have now had a 'lightbulb' moment & made a connection with the Grant family you detail in your second post. I had dismissed this as it was out of the area where I thought he would be (stupid I know)  ::) but also because he was recorded as 'grandson' on the 1871 census which threw me (because he wasn't- he was in fact great nephew as recorded in the 1861 census you detailed).  I have now discovered him on the 1851 census where he is recorded as a visitor aged 4.  He is with the same family at the ages of 14 and 24 - just before he leaves to go to Edinburgh to become a policeman. Looking at it again has made me realise the connection is very possible because he was born at Kingussie AND he named his first son Alexander Grant Macdonald....... now I know why.  He also named his daughter Ann, so there could be a further connection there.

I'm very, very grateful to you.  Now I need to find out if I can contact anyone who may have researched the Grant family and know any details about George and the details of his birth. Any help on how I do this would be very useful too.  ;)
Macdonalds / Mackay around Kingussie / Newtonmore /Laggan area.
Grant around Abernethy