Author Topic: Directories  (Read 31725 times)

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RootsChat Administration
    • View Profile
Directories
« on: Friday 13 August 04 19:11 BST (UK) »
Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Link: Dublin Directories
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 May 07 14:42 BST (UK) »
There's a list of members owning directories for the north of Ireland and there are a few directories to be found online by googling. Would it be possible for members in Dublin and district to post a similar list of the directories that they own? This would save a lot of time posting messages requesting a look up and waiting months for replies. It would also eliminate the occasional offers of look up threads.  They should contain a request for PMs to be posted to the person offering to do the searches and then be locked following the initial message so that only PMs could be sent. It's quite easy to post a PM to a member asking for a look up or search if it is known who owns which directory. The information sourced could then be posted onto the specific thread relating to the query made about a particular family so that other RootsChatters are kept in the picture and the possibility of duplicating information is avoided. The list of Belfast directories pre 1922 and after 1922 is regularly used as it enables members to discover who they should contact. I'm sure a similar list for Dublin and other areas of Ireland would be popular.

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 May 07 12:00 BST (UK) »
I have (for Dublin)
St Audeon's transcripts - Funeral entries 1595-1660
Baptisms, Marriages and Burials 1636-1755
from extracts published in the 'Irish Builder' 1886-87

The Treble Almanack 1818 (containing Wilson's directory)
The Treble Almanack 1822
The Treble Almanack 1829

Pigot's 1824
Slater's 1846
Pettigrew & Oulton's 1842

Shaw's 1850 directory is on my site http://www.dublin1850.com

1873 Thom's

I can't (and will not) do general name lookups - they take too long.
I CAN do lookups where I am given either an exact address (even a street will do) or a date of death, baptism, marriage.

Moderator Comment:
Many thanks for the offer  :) :)
As this is a resource board, would requesters please start a new topic for each request, on the Dublin.  Thanks  :)
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 May 07 18:10 BST (UK) »
Hi dublin1850,

Thanks for your reply.

Am I right in thinking that Thom's Directory does not have an alphabetical section ??? It only lists streets and the people who lived in those streets, doesn't it? Are the Pigot's 1824, Pettigrew & Oulton's 1842 and Slater's 1846 directories laid out in the same fashion? The 1850 Dublin Directory on your site is great as you can check for a surname in that one.

Do you know if any of the other Directories for Dublin other than the ones that you have on your site will be put online sometime? I understand that PRONI are digitalising some of the Belfast and Province of Ulster Directories. I think it's the ones prior to 1900. These should be online in the near future. 

Chris

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 May 07 18:29 BST (UK) »
Thom's has an alphabetical listing of what they call "Nobility, Gentry, Merchants and Traders", otherwise it's lists of streets and residents.

Pigot's has again 'Nobility and Gentry' and covers the whole of Ireland, though I suspect it only lists people 'of importance'. It has short descriptions of towns as well, something like Porter's directory on my site.

Pettigrew and Oulton's has lists of people by name and by address and includes some Dublin suburbs.

Slater's also has the lists by name and covers the whole country (or at least the towns).

I also have some sort of Military records - "a list of Ireland’s Royal Artillery attestations papers". I have no idea what attestation papers are, but suppose anyone interested in military things will know.

Pigot's and Slater's would probably be of interest to people researching in the North. The scans in them are not of great quality, but again, with an exact address or a name for a small town I could check them. Queries such as 'Surname Y in County X' would involve way too much work for me, but I can certainly check an exact address or a small town.

I don't know what anyone else is doing with the directories. The easiest thing seems to be to just scan them and put pdf files available online.
Making my site, typing it all out and re-indexing it was a nightmare and took just about two years to do, I doubt anyone else would undertake that.

Trish

Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 November 07 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Click here to see the Dublin Directory 1862 on the Library Ireland website 

Some Kilmainham directories here- 1838, 1851 (Census), 1861, 1919, 1928, 1935 and 1949.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 April 09 19:11 BST (UK) »
add in the directories I have :
  Thom's 1848, 1863, 1872, 1879, 1894, 1904, 1914, 1927 & 1938   

Treble/Wilson Almanac 1813

Pettigrew & Oulton 1834 & 1840

Pigot's 1824 - covers Dublin & major towns (damaged - some pages missing)
   This also includes listings for major cities in England, details for Isle of Man.

(see the look-up sticky on the Dublin board.)

the editions of Thoms have a Street by street list plus an alphabetical section which includes at least some of the private residents, i.e.  people listed without a trade.

note : Thom's do not include any residents for tenements.

Thom's & Pettigrew & Oulton directories cover Dublin City and the towns in Co. Dublin, and also includes Bray, Co. Wicklow
There's also sections for all Ireland on various officials plus an (all Ireland) ecclesiastical directory.

The Wilson's directory has a list of Traders and Mechants of Dublin City plus some additional sections on
 Linen-hall factors, pawn-brokers, barristers, physicians, dentists & surgeons, ministers etc..

Shane

(list updated Nov 2010)
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline martin roe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thoms 1862 directory Available on line
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 May 10 11:02 BST (UK) »
Here is the link  to the library of Ireland site i have just found.Unfortunately i think it is only by street name 

http://www.libraryireland.com/Dublin-Street-Directory-1862/Home.php
Ireland,  Co  Dublin,    Surnames:- Roe, Hawkshaw,Holden,Oreilly,
Co Antrim    surnames :- McAuley, Mc Neill   of carnlough ,  Co Down Surnames:- Doran or Doolan

Uk   Somerset surnames:- Fear,Patch,Rowsell , Difford, Priddle Davis Tratt

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Thoms 1862 directory Available on line
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 11:54 BST (UK) »
to search this by surname or occupation use the following format in Google :

e.g. search for all entries for Cathcart

Cathcart site:http://www.libraryireland.com/Dublin-Street-Directory-1862/

search for shoe makers etc :

shoe site:http://www.libraryireland.com/Dublin-Street-Directory-1862/

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests